OP
deplinger

deplinger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you were doing to kill those snails but you might want to run carbon and dona water change to try and clear whatever out of the water
I tried to use the calcium carbonate (coral snow) flocking treatment to starve/clog the Vsnails.

I have always had a problem with low nutrients in my tanks so I don’t know if the flocking dropped the nutrients levels too much too fast and stressed the corals enough to allow the bacteria to attack. I really don’t know what caused the RTN/STN out break. I lost most of the sps frags in the frag tank and a couple of colonies in the display tank.

I have done water changes and carbon. I am currently discouraged and letting the display tank settle for now. I am hoping the bumblebee snails will prevail over the Vsnails at some point.

I have accepted the fact that the Vsnails are there and have set up a separate Frag system and standalone qt.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a possibility The STN was caused by the weakening of the corals from something wong with the water. What are your parameters??? Regardless fixing the original problem although important won't stop the STN. If you can get all your corals into a big bucket I can give you instructions on how to treat them, if not I can give you instructions on how to treat a DT. Treating a DT is somewhat risky so a qt is usually preferable but sometimes unrealistic.

OP
OP
deplinger

deplinger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a possibility The STN was caused by the weakening of the corals from something wong with the water. What are your parameters??? Regardless fixing the original problem although important won't stop the STN. If you can get all your corals into a big bucket I can give you instructions on how to treat them, if not I can give you instructions on how to treat a DT. Treating a DT is somewhat risky so a qt is usually preferable but sometimes unrealistic.
Thanks. I have all of the frags in qt tank. I am not doing anything to my display for now. I have not had any out breaks in the display tank since I did the witchhazel treatments.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i use 500 mg of amoxicillin 500 Mg of cipro 10 scoops of chemiclean 40 drops of iodine and 20 pm of brightwell restorer l per 5 gallons of water. This was originally made for euphillia but I've adapted it and used it successfully to stop STN on sps corals as well

I would leave them in this solution for at 6-12 hours

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you’ve got a good handle on it now. And Auto-pilots dosing advice above looks good.

I know yours is primarily SPS being affected, I recently overcame a really serious case of BJD in my euphyllia frag tank by fragging out infected heads and using chemiclean. Interesting picture of the ciliate, I wish I had a microscope handy to try and ID any microscopic pests.

Best of luck to you on the treatment, and don’t give up!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back