OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow "except for dogs and cat". Well thats simply not fair. Should atleast add fish too!
Well, they probably whitelist goldfish and guppies and a few other well-known and highly domesticated freshwater fish.
But saltwater fish and corals will not make it...

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snorkel Bob, PETA, & Co. are at work again trying to kill the hobby!
If this amendment passes it will pretty much kill the pet industry in the US overnight!
Act fast and stop this nonsense by contacting your representatives:

What is the section this is in? To me it seems it is just banning new imports until they are proven not to be harmful to people, animals or the environment. This seems to be a good thing considering all the non native lion fish and pythons in Florida

fishingchuck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m more familiar with the reptile trade but it would kill a lot of business. It would prevent the sale/transport over state lines. Bad deal for a lot of people with exotic animals / fish.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see anything like what is being described. I did not read all the entire act but did read the language for the amendments to the lacey act(the relevant part for this discussion)and it is not as described here at all. I am not saying i agree with the amendments as written , but it certainly it is nothing like the thread subject declares.

What the act does do is prohibit many animals(though based off their classifications coral would not be included) from being imported if that animal had not been imported in more than minimal quantities in the prior year unless it gets added to the white list. My only problems here is the bill does not define "minimal quantities" they push that off until after bill is passed. In any case i would not expect this bill to have much impact at all immediately(though could over time depending on politics of getting newly desired species added to white lists)

See below for the text i believe to be relevant.

‘‘(1) IN GENERAL.—Importation into the
7 United States of any species of wild mammals, wild
8 birds, fish (including mollusks and crustacea), am-
9 phibians, or reptiles, or the offspring or eggs of any
10 such species, that is not native to the United States
11 and, as of the date of enactment of the America
12 COMPETES Act of 2022, is not prohibited under
13 subsection (a)(1), is prohibited, unless—
14 ‘‘(A) during the 1-year period preceding
15 the date of enactment of the America COM-
16 PETES Act of 2022, the species was, in more
17 than minimal quantities—
18 ‘‘(i) imported into the United States;
19 or
20 ‘‘(ii) transported between the States,
21 any territory of the United States, the Dis-
22 trict of Columbia, the Commonwealth of
23 Puerto Rico, or any possession of the
24 United States; or
VerDate Nov 24 2008 16:47 Jan 25, 2022 Jkt 000000 PO 00000 Frm 01663 Fmt 6652 Sfmt 6201 C:\USERS\KLMERYW

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m more familiar with the reptile trade but it would kill a lot of business. It would prevent the sale/transport over state lines. Bad deal for a lot of people with exotic animals / fish.
Only if they are hazardous to humans, animals or the environment.

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Lacey Act was passed in 1900. This act (H.R.4521) is an amendment to the Lacey act....I don't think it does the things you think it does....
The amendment wants to turn it into a whitelist, pretty much ban anything that isn't on it.

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only if they are hazardous to humans, animals or the environment.
They are proposing a whitelist, so a reversal of the current state. It would assume that everything is harmful until proven otherwise. Good luck proving that for wild imports. And who will pay for doing the research needed to prove a species is not and will never be harmful to humans, either directly or via pathogens it may carry?

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are proposing a whitelist, so a reversal of the current state. It would assume that everything is harmful until proven otherwise. Good luck proving that for wild imports. And who will pay for doing the research needed to prove a species is not and will never be harmful to humans, either directly or via pathogens it may carry?
It states “new species” in the act. Animals that are already common in the trade will not be impacted.

Sec. 71102. Lacey Act amendments.
Addresses threats from wildlife disease and invasive species by amending the Lacey Act to allow for up to a 3-year emergency ban on importation of wildlife that poses imminent threats, including to human health, and to prohibit the transportation of injurious species across state lines in response to a circuit court ruling that limited the scope of the Lacey Act. Bans new species imports until they are found to not be invasive in the United States.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There go my plans for my roadside zoo :(
giphy-downsized-large.gif

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back