This WORKS for Green Hair Algae !! Fluconazole by Reef HD - Called REEF FLUX

ReeferHooked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not very sure if I'm posting correctly but after of year of fighting green hair algae I have finally found the one product that truly works. This is in no way a promotion of a certain brand or vendor just telling you what worked for me and worked within three weeks. I tried the water changes, manual removal which is always necessary, I tried peroxide both as dosing and using 20% post directly while in the water and after removal of the rock that it was growing on but nothing worked. I even created a refugium using cheatomorpha, I'm a pharmacist and was told by a tank professional that fluconazole may work and I was able to find a product called reef flux which is fluconazole and by following the directions by reef flux I went from a continuing hair algae problem with no end to the issue. The outcome was this I used the reflux within three weeks there is not a sign of green hair algae! I have Xenia and also mushroom corals which were not affected at all by the fluconazole. It's a 120 gallon fish and soft coral tank. I'm not sure if other corals might be sensitive to this or not but mine had no ill effects. I will say the cheato in the refugium was killed off also along with the hair algae. I cannot stress enough if you have a green hair algae issue this is the product to use (fluconazole). Believe it or I manually removed as much hair algae as I could without actually removing the rocks from the tank then treated with the fluconazole product and within three weeks the tank is completely clear of all hair algae. The filters will become clogged with the remnants of the hair algae as it filters out and this is mentioned on the packaging as the stuff works that well so you will need to maintain your particulate filters during this process. I can't believe this isn't the go to on every Google search to kill off green hair algae it took me a year to discover this product. I hope this helps someone else.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it worked 100%.

though I’d not use this product ever in my nano, I sure might in a large tank, and the chemical has an extremely high kill rate for bad algae on work threads. Fluconazole has elbowed itself into permanent reefing legitimacy.

I can’t even think of any instances where it harmed things, it may have but it’s no pattern. The pattern is lots of algae kills.

one minor issue is indirect; killing off the mass and rotting it in tank also has a very high incidence of cyano invasions two months later. That being said, many find it an acceptable tradeoff as bad gha looks disgusting, at least UV can zap cyano if needed.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not very sure if I'm posting correctly but after of year of fighting green hair algae I have finally found the one product that truly works.
Me too....

But mine is daily dosing live phytoplankton to OUTCOMPETE algae.... but 99% of ppl won't try it bc it involves brewing your own live phyto. But once you get the hang of it, it's cheap and super effective and beneficial

Your way is constantly killing a wide spectrum of fungus. Sorta like a human taking a series of Antibiotics every month.

Constant medication can't be good

Just saying

Last edited:

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a GHA bloom starting so I found this thread. I looked up Reef Flux HD at BRS and it specifically states "Not effective against hair or other turf style algae." Are you all sure it works for hair algae?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8000mg Fluconazole in 400 gallons
5-25-21
i-LXChJGJ-XL.jpg

6-10-21
i-nPrwVDv-XL.jpg

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have one or two pieces and they are simple Hardy variety. They survived but can't speak to sps in general. Just that it can give some corals a bad time. Probably hard to say with certainty but know the risks.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE! Yes. This kills SPS, and quickly. I dosed 29 capsules in my 250 DT and sump on Friday and as of today it has killed 75% of my coral. The rest are losing color fast.

The GHA sure looks OK though.

Reefrats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried fluconozole I got online that a few videos said was better than reef flux and no results after 3 weeks. I dosed reef flux 1 week ago and so far no changes. How long did it take to start seeing the GHA die off?

I also have lyngbya and read Azithromycin is the only thing that works. I tried Azithromycin I got online where I originally got the fluconozole and it did nothing. After this round of fluconozole I am going to try Azithromycin from a z pack.

So frustrated and tired of manual removal

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the main reason I don't like fluconazole is because I have a refugium; I no longer have a green hair algae problem but that's a different story. dosing fluc requires you to disrupt your refugium/chaeto but that is a step a lot of people don't mind taking because the hair algae is out of control. You have to reestablish the refugium afterwards (if you have one, which many people don't).

Reefrats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the main reason I don't like fluconazole is because I have a refugium; I no longer have a green hair algae problem but that's a different story. dosing fluc requires you to disrupt your refugium/chaeto but that is a step a lot of people don't mind taking because the hair algae is out of control. You have to reestablish the refugium afterwards (if you have one, which many people don't).
I have a fuge and if I have to get new chaeto that’s an east solution. Right now I need to get this under control. Most of the reviews I’ve read said Fluc doesn’t affect chaeto. The 3 weeks I had it in and this past week show no effects on my chaeto (or my GHA).

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fuge and if I have to get new chaeto that’s an east solution. Right now I need to get this under control. Most of the reviews I’ve read said Fluc doesn’t affect chaeto. The 3 weeks I had it in and this past week show no effects on my chaeto (or my GHA).

The science says that it does affect chaeto, and so do the instructions, and so does my personal experience with it. ;)

Regarding the science it has to do with fluconazole's affect on brassinosteroids, but I am not a scientist so I take no offense if you take my word with a heavy dose of skepticism.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Flux Rx in my 55g tank at the end of October and the GHA/Bryopsis I had was gone in about 15-20 days. I maintain Flux Rx in my tanks at a lower level continually ever since. I have no issues with the continued dosing or a return of the dreaded algae.

I find it strange that so many people report that it kills their corals. I have not lost a single piece of existing or recently added corals.

When I first treated my tank, I did not have any SPS. Mostly LPS and softies. I have since added in 8 pieces of SPS and they are all doing quite well. I am curious what else is happening in the tanks of those who have lost corals to this treatment.

SuthernReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump cause I'm about to dose this Sunday. I have been using vibrant for a couple months. If this don't work, I give up because I have tried most of the popular methods

Back