This Yellow Tang has had some rotten luck!

Rob1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello my fishy friends!

I've had Sally (musTANG Sally... it was my father-in-law's idea) for a little over two months. We got her from BIOTA and, contrary to the title of this thread, she has done quite well. She eats like a pig and there is almost no algae in the tank. She had a random "hair" get attached to her side, which she eventually knocked off. It was a really weird deal, but she moved on and has done well.

Today I noticed something on her right pectoral fin. It's a somewhat large white spot/growth. My first thought is ich, but I'm new at this so I thought I'd go to the experts. Any thoughts?

Apologies for the video quality. She's a fast swimmer...

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    1.3 MB

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello my fishy friends!

I've had Sally (musTANG Sally... it was my father-in-law's idea) for a little over two months. We got her from BIOTA and, contrary to the title of this thread, she has done quite well. She eats like a pig and there is almost no algae in the tank. She had a random "hair" get attached to her side, which she eventually knocked off. It was a really weird deal, but she moved on and has done well.

Today I noticed something on her fin. It's a somewhat large white spot/growth. My first thought is ich, but I'm new at this so I thought I'd go to the experts. Any thoughts?

Would you be able to post the video to Youtube - many people cannot see the video. Or a picture with white lights? Any other fish? Anything added? more information would be helpful

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello my fishy friends!

Today I noticed something on her fin. It's a somewhat large white spot/growth. My first thought is ich, but I'm new at this so I thought I'd go to the experts. Any thoughts?

I dont think fin ray issue but rather viral lymphosystis which is a condition and not disease. Often it is caused by water quality issue such as elevated ammonia or nitrate, stress and even poor diet. It will fall off by itself as water and diet are optimal
Some good foods for tang are:
Spirulina brine shrimp
Nori seaweed basted with garlic
mysis shrimp
LRS fish frenzy
Ocean Nutrition veggie diet

OP
OP
Rob1208

Rob1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you be able to post the video to Youtube - many people cannot see the video. Or a picture with white lights? Any other fish? Anything added? more information would be helpful
I added the video as an attachment. Does that help? I don't actually have a YouTube account, but I guess I could create one if necessary. She moves way too fast to get a picture, unfortunately. I don't really have the practice.

I haven't added any new fish to the tank since I added her and a Royal Gramma Basslet at the same time. I added a refugium about 2 weeks after the tang was added, but that's it. Along with the RGB we have 2 clowns and none of them appear to be effected by whatever this is.

I actually haven't turned the lights on in the tank yet. I've been following the BRS 5 minute guide and have been waiting to turn the lights on as they suggest. The tank is just about 4 months old. I bought the tank second hand and I've been having trouble getting the Aqumai/Hydor lights connected to my phone. So there are two reasons for no lights.

OP
OP
Rob1208

Rob1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think fin ray issue but rather viral lymphosystis which is a condition and not disease. Often it is caused by water quality issue such as elevated ammonia or nitrate, stress and even poor diet. It will fall off by itself as water and diet are optimal
Some good foods for tang are:
Spirulina brine shrimp
Nori seaweed basted with garlic
mysis shrimp
LRS fish frenzy
Ocean Nutrition veggie diet
I emailed Biota and they said the same thing. I need to add more veggies to the diet. Hopefully this is the case.

Thanks a ton for the food list. I've tried nori seaweed, but they are afraid of the Grazer Pro. Is it ok to leave the Nori in the tank for a while? I need to put the Grazer Pro in there more often so they get used to it. By "basted in garlic" do you mean basically dipping it in garlic juice? I've used garlic juice in their food from time to time and they go nuts for it. That may solve the problem!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I emailed Biota and they said the same thing. I need to add more veggies to the diet. Hopefully this is the case.

Thanks a ton for the food list. I've tried nori seaweed, but they are afraid of the Grazer Pro. Is it ok to leave the Nori in the tank for a while? I need to put the Grazer Pro in there more often so they get used to it. By "basted in garlic" do you mean basically dipping it in garlic juice? I've used garlic juice in their food from time to time and they go nuts for it. That may solve the problem!
there is commercial garlic extract used for immunity health (see blelo) and just brushing or rubbing a little onto nori. If grazer is spooking tang, You can wedge nori within rocks.

1678209015936.png
1678209041915.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I added the video as an attachment. Does that help? I don't actually have a YouTube account, but I guess I could create one if necessary. She moves way too fast to get a picture, unfortunately. I don't really have the practice.

I haven't added any new fish to the tank since I added her and a Royal Gramma Basslet at the same time. I added a refugium about 2 weeks after the tang was added, but that's it. Along with the RGB we have 2 clowns and none of them appear to be effected by whatever this is.

I actually haven't turned the lights on in the tank yet. I've been following the BRS 5 minute guide and have been waiting to turn the lights on as they suggest. The tank is just about 4 months old. I bought the tank second hand and I've been having trouble getting the Aqumai/Hydor lights connected to my phone. So there are two reasons for no lights.
No - unfortunately - I can't see it. However - if @vetteguy53081 has seen it and thinks its lymphocystis it very well likely is. It would be somewhat odd - for a fish 2 months in the tank to develop it - depending on water quality, etc.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - I'm not sure there is much evidence that garlic has a positive effect. However - a varied diet with algae most certainly will. I would buy a prepared food specific for 'vegetarians'. There are a lot of anecdotes about garlic - and there are some scientific papers suggesting that it's helpful - and others that say 'no'. I would go with an upper quality food - flake or pellet - not the cheapest.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been feeding daily a cube from a San Francisco Bay, Frozen Multi-Pack and Angelfish Butterflyfish Pack. My Yellow Tang goes nuts over all of them, been adding Six to Seven Drops of Selcon to the Cube every other day.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back