Those of you making your own frozen mix, do you intently pay mind to wild caught seafood vs farmed etc?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious...I do when it comes to my mix. I do believe in responsible aquaculture practices, but some of the crap imported from various locations is so massively loaded up with antibiotics (particularly these generic white shrimp or non wild caught tigers), that my thought is if I wouldn't put that junk in my own body why would I feed it to a considerably smaller fish/coral etc in a small system that requires balance?
My mussels are from here, aquacultured right next to the salmon farms, no antibiotics (apparently) , which they are filter feeders , and this is what their diet is so no problem there. Clams frozen, are harder to find from North America up here, but can be located, and we do. Shrimp is Argentine wild caught reds lately, my seaweed sheets thrown in are Wild harvest Dulse from Bay of Fundy New Brunswick....
This is not meant to be some environmental attack , lecture or anything, to each their own... just curious if anyone else thinks of this as well....

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, i've never thought about that. I always just get some fresh seafood and call it a day.
Same for most part ...or frozen, it's largely the shrimp and clam imports that I'm reading rather alarming articles about....

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 7 lb block of ice (flash-frozen Mexican Shrimp) at the grocery and busted off a chunk that we ate for dinner last evening. All the broken pieces thawed and went into the fish tank.

I do think about where my food comes from and if it is farmed I wonder what the animals have been slopped with? Wild-caught animals generally have been feeding in a natural environment whereas farmed animals face different circumstances that may impact the health, taste, fat content, and other nutritional features.

I had a discussion with a stranger about "Ahi" at Costco one afternoon. He was skeptical of their fish product and doubted that the flesh labeled Ahi wasn't another fish. That got me thinking, and so yes, I do think about what I feed my tanks. I suspect that poor handling of fish food in the supply chain is a potential hazard for the animals we are feeding.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't usually think about farm vs wild caught for my own food, so I don't really think about it when making food for my fish either.

I'm pretty mixed with the idea of "wild caught", because how detrimental food fishery is to the ocean and the reef. To make it worse our hobby is somehow on the hook of damaging the reef while the food fishery continue to go largely unchecked. So I don't look out to source wild caught fish.

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 7 lb block of ice (flash-frozen Mexican Shrimp) at the grocery and busted off a chunk that we ate for dinner last evening. All the broken pieces thawed and went into the fish tank.

I do think about where my food comes from and if it is farmed I wonder what the animals have been slopped with? Wild-caught animals generally have been feeding in a natural environment whereas farmed animals face different circumstances that may impact the health, taste, fat content, and other nutritional features.

I had a discussion with a stranger about "Ahi" at Costco one afternoon. He was skeptical of their fish product and doubted that the flesh labeled Ahi wasn't another fish. That got me thinking, and so yes, I do think about what I feed my tanks. I suspect that poor handling of fish food in the supply chain is a potential hazard for the animals we are feeding.
Indeed.... my main concern is the shrimp, a lot of it frozen here comes in farmed from SE Asia, and the amount of antibiotics pumped into that stuff is off charts according to several articles read. I don't put antibiotics into the aquarium, so why indirectly into my inhabitants? I used to actually try and feed my Nems Pacific White shrimp from there years back and they would just spit it up 5 mins later, so I stopped with that protocol.
No farmed salmon in my tank or body either....too much crap in that stuff.

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't usually think about farm vs wild caught for my own food, so I don't really think about it when making food for my fish either.

I'm pretty mixed with the idea of "wild caught", because how detrimental food fishery is to the ocean and the reef. To make it worse our hobby is somehow on the hook of damaging the reef while the food fishery continue to go largely unchecked. So I don't look out to source wild caught fish.
I hear ya.... but some of this lax regulated farmed species around the world is absolutely terrible for the ocean as well. Still quite a lot of wild caught seafood that is not endangered and responsibly harvested, just need to look for it, and especially watch for the fast one they try and pull by re-naming fish , and after you research that new handle, guess what It's not what is purported to be. It's endangered or something less than desirable....

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back