Those of you that use a canister with coral -- what do you use for media?

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, I know, there's a strong sentiment that canisters don't work with coral. I've also found quite a few posts over the past few days where people have said that they do just fine with them once they change out the media, but I haven't found any specifics on what they're using.

I'm just getting started, and my used pile of crap gear came with a Cascade 1000, which I think should be enough to get me rolling. I need to replace the media anyway, so I'm wondering if anyone has advice on what I should pick up.

Ky_acc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, using a canister filter in reef aquaria is going to give you nothing but issues. With sufficient live rock (bio filter) and the addition of a mechanical filter (filter socks, skimmer) a canister filter will be completely unnecessary.

In fact, using a canister filter will create issues as a nitrates and other harmful bacteria build up over time. You also won’t get any benefit using a canister filter in place of a skimmer —you would be better off implementing regular water changes (20% weekly is a good starting point) instead. Simply put, using a canister filter would be worse than using no mechanical filtration whatsoever.

here are some great videos on filtration that’s BRS put out. I would also recommend watching all the videos in their “52 weeks of reefing” series.

BRS - biological filter

BRS - mechanical filter

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, using a canister filter in reef aquaria is going to give you nothing but issues. With sufficient live rock (bio filter) and the addition of a mechanical filter (filter socks, skimmer) a canister filter will be completely unnecessary.

In fact, using a canister filter will create issues as a nitrates and other harmful bacteria build up over time. You also won’t get any benefit using a canister filter in place of a skimmer —you would be better off implementing regular water changes (20% weekly is a good starting point) instead. Simply put, using a canister filter would be worse than using no mechanical filtration whatsoever.

here are some great videos on filtration that’s BRS put out. I would also recommend watching all the videos in their “52 weeks of reefing” series.

BRS - biological filter

BRS - mechanical filter
Couldn't disagree more. Keep it clean and a canister can be a great source of mechanical and chemical filtration. Many folks prove it everyday.

Coral Euphoria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canister filters are a type of mechanical filtration, like filter socks, for example, which are quite common. Neglect of any mechanical filtration could possibly be a source of nutrients due to rotting detritus, however this may or may not be an issue depending on your systems's export capability. I think it's fine as long as you keep up with the maintenance.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, I know, there's a strong sentiment that canisters don't work with coral. I've also found quite a few posts over the past few days where people have said that they do just fine with them once they change out the media, but I haven't found any specifics on what they're using.

I'm just getting started, and my used pile of crap gear came with a Cascade 1000, which I think should be enough to get me rolling. I need to replace the media anyway, so I'm wondering if anyone has advice on what I should pick up.

Canisters get a bad rap because people set them up poorly, and then don't do the maintenance needed on them. There is nothing wrong with using a canister filter for a reef tank, just be prepared to do the work to take care of it.

Whatever canister you have or use, know how the water flows through it is key to setting it up properly. Most canisters have the water flow to the bottom and then rise through the media trays.

As far as media goes you want the water to flow through mechanical, then biological, then chemical media. I would stick with a coarse and medium media filter pads first, then a porous media (preferably something that is on the smaller side so you can fit more in the trays) filling the remaining trays.

Clean the media and sponges every week or so and you should be fine.

Check out pondguru on youtube. He's a freshwater guy but all the info can easily be transferred over to saltwater.

BRS - biological filter

BRS - mechanical filter

You do realize that a sump is a canister with an open top right? Any info to backup the claim you made that I bolded for you?

OP here's some more options...

you could go the DIY route on canister filter like this one...

And here is how often he cleans these canisters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Canister filters are a type of mechanical filtration, like filter socks, for example, which are quite common. Neglect of any mechanical filtration could possibly be a source of nutrients due to rotting detritus, however this may or may not be an issue depending on your systems's export capability. I think it's fine as long as you keep up with the maintenance.

+1

The Penn Plax Cascade models are really good value canisters. IMO, the one area where you need to be a bit careful with that skimmer is to not over tighten the hoses on to the skimmer body.

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t post often, but when I do, it’s typically about me keeping a reef for nearly 15 years on canisters. I won’t doubt the benefits of a sump, not trying to start a debate here, simply saying that it can be done with a canister.

I currently run the Cascade 1000. Of the canisters I’ve owned, it’s my favorite. Agree with previous post to go mechanical to biological to chemical (see some of my previous posts where I advocate for this). Cascade filters bottom-up.

To answer your question on media, I use Seachem Matrix as bio, and Chemipure Blue as chemical.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean the media and sponges every week or so and you should be fine.

This is the critical piece of the puzzle that often gets overlooked. Connect your canister filter to your tank, prime it, and then let it run for five minutes. Then disconnect the filter, bring the filter to the sink/bathtub you will use for cleaning it, take it apart, rinse all the media and replace the filters. Reassemble it and make sure everything is sealed properly again. Bring it back to the aquarium and reconnect it. Prime it again and re-start it.

If you can't do that at least every week (detritus starts breaking down after three days), then a canister filter probably isn't going to work. I ran a very expensive canister on my planted tank and I cleaned that thing at most twice a year. It's a pain.

A sump or HOB filter is much easier to clean and you are therefore more likely to do the maintenance.

OP
OP
raketemensch

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the advice, everyone. A sump is possibly in my future, but for the moment I'm using what I've got. Right now I'm not even planning a 3-4 week startup, I'm planning to spend a couple of months just learning my chemistry. I want to have this down before I add anything "living" to the tank, as I don't feel like it's fair to add animals to it until I have a solid idea of how to keep them alive.

This is an odd project, in that it's sort of going to become my wife's "job" as her freelance work has been dwindling. That basically means that weekly maintenance isn't a huge deal, and if it's expected, that's fine.

Once I get rolling a sump may be the better thing, I'm going to at least try one anyway eventually.

Again, thank you all for weighing in. I don't believe there's a "right answer" for a lot of things in this science, and because of that it's best to hear lots of opinions.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back