Those of you with T5/LED hybrids, which T5 bulbs are you using?

skyhawkn5262y

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you with T5/LED hybrid lighting systems, which T5 bulbs are you using and why?

OP
OP
skyhawkn5262y

skyhawkn5262y

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why I used it is cuz that I can keep sps well in my tank for 4 years.
Nice! Can't beat a proven approach. Any particular reason why you initially chose to use two Aquablue Specials as opposed to using four Blue Plus?

vpoiu1263

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Can't beat a proven approach. Any particular reason why you initially chose to use two Aquablue Specials as opposed to using four Blue Plus?
I think the aquablue special can offer my tank for some orange red spectrum that the zooxanthellae need for their Photosynthesis.
All my led are only all blue and purple spectrum.
Still doing well now.
IMG_20201003_212933.jpg

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using two XHO Actinic Blue with two T5 bulbs. The T5 are a coral plus and actinic. I'm using this combination for the spectrum that it covers. I may change out the coral plus to get a less blue look in the tank, but I plan on keeping the actinic to cover that part of the spectrum.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2CP and 2BP. I asked a few experienced successful SPS reefers to determine my setup.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the aquablue special can offer my tank for some orange red spectrum that the zooxanthellae need for their Photosynthesis.
All my led are only all blue and purple spectrum.
Still doing well now.
IMG_20201003_212933.jpg
I 100% agree with you. My corals love the ATI ABS bulb.

paal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really think you will do much wrong with a T5/LED combo. Just go for what you think looks good and stick with it. Let corals adapt without changing it all the time.

IMO, when aiming for a specific overall ambient look / "hue" / kelvin / "blueness" or whatever you call it, going with whiter T5s and bluer LEDs will look better than bluer T5 and whiter LEDs
(Personally I run 4 coral+, 2 blue+ and blue LEDs (all non-blue LED channels are off except a little bit of cyan))

ReefTankNovember.jpg

Alex808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got actinic and coral plus with 2 fluval Led strips set mostly to white with some blue. I guess in my mind, the actinic and coral plus were necessary for covering spectrum and the LEDs aided with the aesthetics I wanted. I didn’t want a Blued out tank and LEDs give me the adjustability without worrying as much about spectrum. If at all.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using two XHO Actinic Blue with two T5 bulbs. The T5 are a coral plus and actinic. I'm using this combination for the spectrum that it covers. I may change out the coral plus to get a less blue look in the tank, but I plan on keeping the actinic to cover that part of the spectrum.
I did change out the Coral Plus for a Reef Brite 50/50, visually the tank looks much better. It's crisper and brighter, the fish look better to.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back