Those who had a large clownfish pair and lost the male, what size clown did you introduce to make a pair again?

If you lost the male of a large clown pair, how did you introduce another clown?

• Large (more than 2 inches)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Very large (??? how)

• Other (please specify)

• Total voters

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per question.

If you had two large clownfish (any species) and lost the male of the pair, how did you find success again? What size fish did you introduce, and how did you introduce it? Or is there something else you did? Select all options that apply, and please feel free to explain in as much detail as you'd like!

Thank you!

highest_tides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say small. I have a large dominant female and would think if I introduced a small Clown she would just never grow much or become dominant.

*edit* I haven't introduced a new Clown yet..just thought about it.

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely a smaller clown. As small as you can find--will make the transition for your female's new mate a lot smoother.

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely a smaller clown. As small as you can find--will make the transition for your female's new mate a lot smoother.
Cool, can I ask how many times you had lost a male and had to find a new mate for your female(s)? Any specifics like if you used a breeder box, or if you just tossed a smaller clown in and it worked? What size(s) clowns in particular did you try? What size was your female(s)?

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, can I ask how many times you had lost a male and had to find a new mate for your female(s)? Any specifics like if you used a breeder box, or if you just tossed a smaller clown in and it worked? What size(s) clowns in particular did you try? What size was your female(s)?

I've paired dozens of clownfish over the years, and haven't had any problems Maroons are definitely trickier--you can make a whole thread about pairing maroons :)

Mainly true percs are the ones I've worked with, but I've also had orange skunks, pink skunks, maroons, and tomatoes too.

When the female has been by herself for a bit, I would try to introduce the new little guy in a breeder box and after a few days, release. Usually, the little guy will submit/twitch and that's that. The more aggressive clowns like tomatoes get a little nipped sometimes, but that's about it.

If you see relentless chasing, I would try another method: fish out both the male and female, and put them in a QT tank for a couple days with some PVC pipes. By then, there's no such thing as "her territory" anymore, and she will likely be much more accepting of the newcomer.

Hope that helps!

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've paired dozens of clownfish over the years, and haven't had any problems Maroons are definitely trickier--you can make a whole thread about pairing maroons :)

Mainly true percs are the ones I've worked with, but I've also had orange skunks, pink skunks, maroons, and tomatoes too.

When the female has been by herself for a bit, I would try to introduce the new little guy in a breeder box and after a few days, release. Usually, the little guy will submit/twitch and that's that. The more aggressive clowns like tomatoes get a little nipped sometimes, but that's about it.

If you see relentless chasing, I would try another method: fish out both the male and female, and put them in a QT tank for a couple days with some PVC pipes. By then, there's no such thing as "her territory" anymore, and she will likely be much more accepting of the newcomer.

Hope that helps!
Oh I don't have any issues pairing, this is all a thread born out of curiosity. XD But thanks for all the info. I am collecting people's personal experiences re: well, everything, so yeah, appreciate your sharing of your personal experiences.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The smaller the better in my experience, especially with Maroons. I’ve introduced very small males to very big females around a dozen times and never had any aggression. The females usually come and “collect” the new male like it’s picking up a teddy bear.

Years back I used strawberry baskets as a makeshift cave for male introductions after reading about it in Joyce Wilkersons book. I had a huge female Maroon Clown literally grab the basket in her mouth with the male inside it and bring it over to her corner. It’s a good thing she liked him right away because she could have torn that basket apart in minutes if she wanted to!

I think many run into trouble with clownfish when they buy two similarly sized young ones at the same time. I learned over the years to buy them 6 to 12 months apart.

Here is a pic of my current pair spawning. The female was about two years old and over 3” when I introduced the male at about 1”. Not a whisper of aggression and they were inseparable from day one. A few months later they started spawning and never stopped.
B9A6ACC8-86B4-45FA-8009-3AC284348959.jpeg

Last edited:

Renton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my female jump out of my tank 2 years ago and replaced her with about a 3/4" clown. The old male turned female and they paired up without any problems. I did notice that the current female is way more aggressive than the original for whatever reason.

They seem happy though, just recently started laying eggs for the first time.

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my female jump out of my tank 2 years ago and replaced her with about a 3/4" clown. The old male turned female and they paired up without any problems. I did notice that the current female is way more aggressive than the original for whatever reason.

They seem happy though, just recently started laying eggs for the first time.
Oh great, congrats! :D Both on the eggs and everyone getting along.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Questi
The smaller the better in my experience, especially with Maroons. I’ve introduced very small males to very big females around a dozen times and never had any aggression. The females usually come and “collect” the new male like it’s picking up a teddy bear.

Years back I used strawberry baskets as a makeshift cave for male introductions after reading about it in Joyce Wilkersons book. I had a huge female Maroon Clown literally grab the basket in her mouth with the male inside it and bring it over to her corner. It’s a good thing she liked him right away because she could have torn that basket apart in minutes if she wanted to!

I think many run into trouble with clownfish when they buy two similarly sized young ones at the same time. I learned over the years to buy them 6 to 12 months apart.

Here is a pic of my current pair spawning. The female was about two years old and over 3” when I introduced the male at about 1”. Not a whisper of aggression and they were inseparable from day one. A few months later they started spawning and never stopped.
B9A6ACC8-86B4-45FA-8009-3AC284348959.jpeg
Question about that pair- different strains?

I had a pair of Onyx Picasso’s, but the male got spooked and swam head first into a power head and is now deceased. I’d had them both for 3 years, female is 3.5” and he was 2.75”.

They were doing the dance and getting close to spawning, but About a year ago he took a trip down the return pump during an apex brownout **** down the pump. It turned back on when He was literally stuck in the volute. Lost a fin, an eye and had a pretty bad scar. She never looked at him again and they separated.

I moved house last month and the female has been in a 40b with its host rbta. She’s been all up in it’s business like crazy

anyway- I’m having trouble finding another Onyx Picasso, so I was wondering if they would pair up if I introduced a
1.75-2” of something else. Another Percula, but a different variety. Looks like your guys are not the same variety?
Have you had many spawnings?

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Yes, they are the same species. Darwin’s Clowns are a naturally occurring black variant of A. Occelaris. If I raised the fry from my pair they would be considered Mocha Clownfish

The man made Occleris variants are still all the same species. Just selectively bred for color. You can pair your female with any of them.

My pair spawns every few weeks year round. Keeping them fat on a quality diet that includes live foods plays a role in how much they spawn. Keep yours fat and happy if you want the same.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Yes, they are the same species. Darwin’s Clowns are a naturally occurring black variant of A. Occelaris. If I raised the fry from my pair they would be considered Mocha Clownfish

The man made Occleris variants are still all the same species. Just selectively bred for color. You can pair your female with any of them.

My pair spawns every few weeks year round. Keeping them fat on a quality diet that includes live foods plays a role in how much they spawn. Keep yours fat and happy if you want the same.
Thanks for the quick reply.

that’s what I suspected- but just wanted to confirm

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.9%
Back