Thoughts about combining Acurel Media Pads (ammonia reducing, phosphate reducing, nitrate reducing and carbon infusing) together? Good or bad idea?

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently use the Acurel Media Pad for nitrate reducing in my biocube intank media holder. I typically used filter floss up to this point. Any who, I'm just now realizing that Acurel makes individual media pads for ammonia reducing, phosphate reducing and carbon infusing as well. Is it a bad idea to combine all 4 pads (ammonia reducing, phosphate reducing, nitrate reducing and carbon infusing) together and use them within my intank media basket? I guess my thought is, the more the merrier. Lol! Or maybe that's a bad idea. Excuse my ignorance if this sounds completely ridiculous, I started my tank March of this year. I've learned a LOT but I have a lot to learn as well.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, since you asked, you're taking out all hte stuff corals use for food. Personally I wouldn't use those together and I'd focus on water changes to remove the hydrophilic DOC that can promote pathogenic shifts in coral microbiomes. Here's some videos you might find informative:

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas"

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

Upvote 0

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting question, I don’t think I’d hesitate to do it (after thinking about it now) As it’s been common practice for years now to mix gfo and carbon in the same media reactor. So a phosphate reducer and a the benefits of carbon seem to be a good mix. As for Ammonia, it’s always good to reduce ammonia and bring that number down to as close to zero as one can. Common sense on my end is pointing to yes mix. Good question.

Upvote 0

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, since you asked, you're taking out all hte stuff corals use for food. Personally I wouldn't use those together and I'd focus on water changes to remove the hydrophilic DOC that can promote pathogenic shifts in coral microbiomes. Here's some videos you might find informative:

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas"

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

Lol glad I ran across this Richard Ross video again. His statement at the end of who knows maybe we will find ourselves dosing phosphates down the road. Thats definitely me right now. After recent upgrade, cleaning system up im definetely finding my clean, mature ocean rock can handle and process alot more in new system. Like completely 0 out .1 ppm in 4 days if im not paying attention close enough.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back