Thoughts, Feelings & Opinions on 6FT-125G STOCK LIST

SEQReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about finished with my build and already quarantining my Clown pair, but thought I should get a more solid plan with regards to stocking before I go fish shopping. I am aiming for a low bio-load peaceful community tank. All fish should be reef safe (or at least mostly) and not pose a risk to invertebrates. Below is what I have come to, any feedback or suggestions are welcome! Note, the rounds show the order I intend to introduce them. All fish will be quarantined.

1ST ROUND:
2x Picasso clown Pair
1x Lawnmower Blenny
1x Exquisite Fire Fish
2x Bengai Cardinal

2nd ROUND:
1x fairy/flasher wrasse 1M/2F
1x Yellow Watchman Goby
1x Royal Gramma
2x Watanabei Angel pair

3rd ROUND:
1x Lieutenant or Whitecheek Tang
1x Yellow Tang
1x White Tail Bristletooth or Tomini Tang

Total Number of Fish: 16

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,looks good,i vote white tail over tomini,over all nice selection :)

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks pretty good to me.

I would probably wait to add the lawnmower blenny until there is plenty of algae growth. Many of them take a while to get onto prepared foods. Also, sometimes, lawnmower blennies and Ctenochaetus (your bristle tooth or tomini et al) hate each other. The six foot tank could be enough room. Just be aware of that.

Lieutenant tanks get pretty darn big. The other Acanthurus would be a little better, but still fairly big and really active. The best tangs in the genus Acanthurus for a 125 would be lavender or convict. Or a foxface of some kind would be a good sub, or skip the third tang all together...just my opinion there.

That's a good list over all, though. Good luck.

OP
OP
SEQReef

SEQReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks pretty good to me.

I would probably wait to add the lawnmower blenny until there is plenty of algae growth. Many of them take a while to get onto prepared foods. Also, sometimes, lawnmower blennies and Ctenochaetus (your bristle tooth or tomini et al) hate each other. The six foot tank could be enough room. Just be aware of that.

Lieutenant tanks get pretty darn big. The other Acanthurus would be a little better, but still fairly big and really active. The best tangs in the genus Acanthurus for a 125 would be lavender or convict. Or a foxface of some kind would be a good sub, or skip the third tang all together...just my opinion there.

That's a good list over all, though. Good luck.

Hi nereefpat,

Thank you for your reply! That is very helpful, I didn't know about the Blennie and Ctenochaetus, will probably just keep a close eye on them and if it proves to be a problem might swap out for a Bicolour or Midas. I also shortlisted the convict and lavender for the Acanthurus option. I agree with perhaps dropping the third tang, ultimately I think if I can get the angel pair I will drop the third Tang (Acanthurus). I started out wanting a relatively low bioload and when I looked at my completed list realised it wasn't actually that low hahah so definitely won't hurt to cut a tang (or the angel pair) out.

Cheers.

joshyross70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the list, I would change the cardinals and fire fish for a melanurus, leopard, potters, or China wrasse

OP
OP
SEQReef

SEQReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the list, I would change the cardinals and fire fish for a melanurus, leopard, potters, or China wrasse

Hi joshyross70,

Thanks for the reply! I did want some wrasse, hence why I snuck in the fairy and cleaner wrasse, but I have a crushed coral substrate and intend on having ornamental shrimp and crab so those wrasse are probably not ideal for my tank (which sucks). My updated Fish List is below, main changes being removing royal gramma (can't justify price) but adding cleaner wrasse.

1ST ROUND:
2x Picasso clown Pair $100
1x Lawnmower Blenny ($40)
1x Exquisite Fire Fish ($45)
2x Bengai Cardinal ($100)

2nd ROUND:
1x Lineatus or Laboutei Wrasse ($80)
1x Cleaner Wrasse ($40)
1x Yellow Watchman Goby ($150)
2x Watanabei Angel pair ($250)

3rd ROUND:
1x Lieutenant, convict, mimic or lavender Tang ($80)
1x Yellow Tang ($220)
1x White Tail Bristletooth ($250) or Tomini Tang ($75)

Total Number of Fish: 14

joshyross70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh true true. Royal flasher wrasse would be a good option too. I’m curious what are the dimensions of your tank? Where did you get it?

OP
OP
SEQReef

SEQReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh true true. Royal flasher wrasse would be a good option too. I’m curious what are the dimensions of your tank? Where did you get it?

Oh ok, thanks I will check them out! I think most the flasher and fairy wrasse are fine I will most likely buy whatever one I come across where I can get 1M and 2F.

My tank is a 72"Lx18"Wx24"H, and I got it from a local builder in South East Queensland. It is just a cheap tank, not sapphire glass or rimless. I have built the system from scratch, and tried to keep cost down.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
x2 Ocellaris Clowns- Great.

x1 Lawnmower Blenny- Possible conflict with Tomini / White Tail Tang as both are detritivores. Your tank may or may not be large enough, so ask for further opinions.

x1 Exquisite Firefish- They’re pretty. Great.

x2 Bangaii Cardinals- Make sure they’re a confirmed pair.

x3 Fairy Wrasses- That’s the right way to create a harem but according to @evolved there’s a risk all will turn male. I’m not sure if anyone’s succeeded so ask around. Would be nice if you could pull it off.

x1 Yellow Watchman Goby- Great. Pair it with a Pistol Shrimp.

x1 Royal Gramma- Great color.

x2 Watanabei Angelfish- Great. Not sure how easy it is to find a male, or whether with 2 females 1 will eventually change into a male. Ask around.

Onto the Tangs:

I don’t know but I still feel 3 Tangs is a bit too much for a 125 even if it’s 6’ long. I’d probably do the Tomini / White Tail and the Yellow, Lt Tangs gets too large. If you get the White Cheek make sure it’s A. japonicus and not the much more disease prone Powder Brown (A. nigricans).

Good luck!

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi joshyross70,

Thanks for the reply! I did want some wrasse, hence why I snuck in the fairy and cleaner wrasse, but I have a crushed coral substrate and intend on having ornamental shrimp and crab so those wrasse are probably not ideal for my tank (which sucks). My updated Fish List is below, main changes being removing royal gramma (can't justify price) but adding cleaner wrasse.

1ST ROUND:
2x Picasso clown Pair $100
1x Lawnmower Blenny ($40)
1x Exquisite Fire Fish ($45)
2x Bengai Cardinal ($100)

2nd ROUND:
1x Lineatus or Laboutei Wrasse ($80)
1x Cleaner Wrasse ($40)
1x Yellow Watchman Goby ($150)
2x Watanabei Angel pair ($250)

3rd ROUND:
1x Lieutenant, convict, mimic or lavender Tang ($80)
1x Yellow Tang ($220)
1x White Tail Bristletooth ($250) or Tomini Tang ($75)

Total Number of Fish: 14
Your tank is same size as ours and our list is very similar to yours but we have 18 (maybe 19) fish as follows - not in the order they were added

1 Misbar Occelaris Clown
1 Wyoming White - they are bonded and defend their corner of then tank to the death
1 Firefish
1 Royal Gramma
1 Bengai Cardinal (was a pair but the clowns took out the female)
1 Starry Blenny
1 Black Sailfin Blenny
1 Diamond Goby
1 Wide barred Goby (his pistol shrimp died)
1 Watermelon Goby (Clown Goby)
1 Bicolor Fijian Foxface
1 Japanese Swallowtail Angel
1 Sailfin - she's about 8"
1 Cube Boxfish
1 Stripped Dottyback
1 Male Melanurus Wrasse
1 Female Melanurus Wrasse (maybe - the male harassed her when we introduced her and she went into hiding but from research they can stay under the sand for up to 3 weeks before reappearing so we're not worried yet)
1 Cleaner Wrasse
1 Sixline Wrasse

Also one Brittle starfish and one Linicka Starfish

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.5%

Back