thoughts on a new aquascape...

yort265

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I'll be aquascaping a new 105g rimless tank within the next month or so, and I'd like to get as many opinions as I could from current coral keepers. I only know of 3 basic aquascaping concepts: the "wall" effect along the back wall, the "island" effect in the middle of the tank (or possibly 2 or more 'islands' depending on size), and an interconnected reef that spans from one side of the tank to the other with archs along the way... I've seen all three in photos, but want some real life experiences. I'd like to keep a mixed variety of coral. LPS, Softies, SPS, mayb an anenome down the road, etc... My tank deminsions are 48 long x 21 deep x 25 high. I'd like to keep the back wall free & clear so I'm not too crazy about the back wall aquascape.

Soooo, What's the best aquascape that not only looks great, but also allows for a lot of coral variety, and looks even better when it's all filled in with coral? Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Troy
:bigsmile:

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I interconnect, but not sure what's "best". For corals I always try to be mindful of how the light will shine through the scrape. When I first started I would have shelves with a useless dark cave underneath. I've learned to avoid a lot of places like that.

Fishinizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wall lets you keep the most but you also have to look what fish you have that's another consideration so wall is most coral but less fish it depends on what you want

OP
OP
Y

yort265

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got through playing around with the BRS Reef Saver rock I'm going to use.. and came up with this. Any thoughts or suggestions?

IMG_0039.jpg

OP
OP
Y

yort265

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the responses and for the link to that article... very informative!

pnavarro170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good article, basically my philosophy is less is more, think it out, buy dry rock and glue it cement it before you put it in the tank. make it look like one piece, try something different, make sure water can flow. do not do a wall look, do not stack them like a box of rocks. dont put anything against the glass. just a few tips imo.

shellynjason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is a good idea to play with the design outside the tank.

A good tip I came across was to keep some rocks that can be 'seperated' from the main stack/wall , for those faster growing coral that you need to keep contained to one spot, on their own 'Island' so to speak.

ClownFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got through playing around with the BRS Reef Saver rock I'm going to use.. and came up with this. Any thoughts or suggestions?

IMG_0039.jpg

I think you will like that. I only have a 40 breeder and started off with 2 islands and ended up with pretty much the same as you have there. Its great for placing a variety of corals because you have multiple spots in higher/lower lighting and higher/lower flow.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I'll be aquascaping a new 105g rimless tank within the next month or so, and I'd like to get as many opinions as I could from current coral keepers. I only know of 3 basic aquascaping concepts: the "wall" effect along the back wall, the "island" effect in the middle of the tank (or possibly 2 or more 'islands' depending on size), and an interconnected reef that spans from one side of the tank to the other with archs along the way... I've seen all three in photos, but want some real life experiences. I'd like to keep a mixed variety of coral. LPS, Softies, SPS, mayb an anenome down the road, etc... My tank deminsions are 48 long x 21 deep x 25 high. I'd like to keep the back wall free & clear so I'm not too crazy about the back wall aquascape.

Soooo, What's the best aquascape that not only looks great, but also allows for a lot of coral variety, and looks even better when it's all filled in with coral? Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Troy
:bigsmile:
Hi Troy. exciting part of having a reef. keep in mind the kind of fishes you intend to keep also. some fishes like caves and some like their swimming room. have fun with it. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :)

OP
OP
Y

yort265

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank has been cycling about a week. here a photo of what I ended up with. nothing is glued so I may end up taking a couple of the rocks out to separate the scape into 2 islands. idk. I like it how it is, but won't know for sure until I start placing coral in it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21361869614.198469.jpg

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it is coming along nicely. I'm with you though, until I start putting corals in I never know exactly what I think. Since I epoxy/glue all my rocks together, by that time I'm always too late :tongue:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back