Thoughts on Aquascape for 85 gallon, please.

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

This is my first reef tank and my first aquascape! I was hoping you all could give me some input on my design. I only have it halfway done so far. I really like the NSA look and also the bonsai look, but wanted to have some habitat for my fish. So I'm planning on creating a bonsai structure on the left, and the structure on the right has more overhangs/caves for fish.

The rock on the right is the fish habitat. It's actually 3 pieces - the large arch, a smaller partial arch in the front, that butts up to the rock in the back. I didn't glue these 2 pieces together, as they seemed to fit naturally together and I thought it would make taking it apart easier if I needed to.

On the left is a foundation rock that I'm planning on using for my 2nd structure - the bonsai piece. I'm planning on making an arch that goes to the right and is higher than the structure on the left. It will look similar to the bottom picture, but the arch will be much higher.

I'm planning on having a mixed reef - eventually with some SPSs on the tops of the rocks.

I've also used the Glue Masters thin glue with reef dust method. I bought some eMarco also. I'm wondering if I need to reinforce the structures with eMarco, or should the glue be enough? If reinforcing with eMarco, can I just pat reef dust into the joints to cover up the grey color?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

20211121_144738.jpg 20211121_143957.jpg B7709399-A436-410C-9020-C92AFA04ED98 (1).jpeg

OP
OP
Seachelle

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the description this could look really nice. BRS has a few videos on rockscaping that are definitely worth checking out for tips and ideas.
Thanks! I think I've watched all those videos about three times! LOL

The structure on the right came out larger than I really wanted it to, but I'm not mad! I guess you can always break them down and start over if it doesn't work out right.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of rock in my tank and I keep adding rock every few months, so don't feel bad. Fish love ledges, overhangs, caves, tunnels, crevices - anything they can explore, sleep in, etc. Here's what I did with a fairly low-maintenance marco shelf rock aquascape.

IMG_0045.JPG

astiesi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past I have always just attempted to stack the rocks until they seemed to "lock in". Inevitably however, I would end up knocking them over and have to deal with my hands in the tank far more than I typically like to in order to fix it. With my latest build I've used the eMarco mortar to create a single structure and so far I am extremely glad I did. I was able to get much more of an interesting design by doing so. I highly recommend doing so as of right now (although I'd have to update in a few years with the convenience long term). Even the gray doesn't bother me and will eventually be covered anyway.

And by the way, really like the bonsai concept.

OP
OP
Seachelle

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past I have always just attempted to stack the rocks until they seemed to "lock in". Inevitably however, I would end up knocking them over and have to deal with my hands in the tank far more than I typically like to in order to fix it. With my latest build I've used the eMarco mortar to create a single structure and so far I am extremely glad I did. I was able to get much more of an interesting design by doing so. I highly recommend doing so as of right now (although I'd have to update in a few years with the convenience long term). Even the gray doesn't bother me and will eventually be covered anyway.

And by the way, really like the bonsai concept.
Did you use the mortar just to seal the joints between rocks, or to actually build structures with it?

astiesi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to seal the joints. I would put a spoon full where I wanted to make the connection, then push the next rock into it. Then I went back and just smoothed it around the joint. It seems to hold very well.

OP
OP
Seachelle

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of rock in my tank and I keep adding rock every few months, so don't feel bad. Fish love ledges, overhangs, caves, tunnels, crevices - anything they can explore, sleep in, etc. Here's what I did with a fairly low-maintenance marco shelf rock aquascape.

IMG_0045.JPG
Very nice! Are those anthias and chromis in there?

OP
OP
Seachelle

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to seal the joints. I would put a spoon full where I wanted to make the connection, then push the next rock into it. Then I went back and just smoothed it around the joint. It seems to hold very well.
Good to know! Thanks!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Are those anthias and chromis in there?
6x green chromis, 5x anthias (lyretail, red fairy and marcia's) and 4x blue damsels (blue devil, azure) providing perimeter patrol. The other 17 fish are around there somewhere (you can see the sailfin and parrotfish in the lower center).

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the design. I agree less pieces are better but if you ever need to pull them out, you may welcome more than one piece.

I use the Gluemasters glue and have no need for the eMarco. I also use the thicker glue at times for large areas. When I need re-inforcement, I simply glue some small pieces of rock in the joints. Works great. The glues joints are always stronger than the rock itself.

And I use reef sand instead of the rock dust. I think it makes it easier to work with and it really blends in well.

I love the NSA look but also create as many spaces as I can for the fish to explore, swim through, and feel safe.

OP
OP
Seachelle

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6x green chromis, 5x anthias (lyretail, red fairy and marcia's) and 4x blue damsels (blue devil, azure) providing perimeter patrol. The other 17 fish are around there somewhere (you can see the sailfin and parrotfish in the lower center).
I'm thinking about getting a very small school of anthias and blue green chromis - because I think the pink and blue colors together are really pretty. Do you know what the smallest number of fish I can have to create a school? I think somewhere I read you can have 1 male and 3 female anthias and that would be OK. Not sure about chromis.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back