Thoughts on aquascape? please advise!

Forshurley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This my current build, it is a 187g tank, 60x30x24. I have two very large rocks and some Tongan branch rock and thinking about keeping the aquascape simple. I guess there is 150 lbs of rock in tank currently.

please help with ideas and thoughts on current look and feel of tank, thanks!

1580795500359.png

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This my current build, it is a 187g tank, 60x30x24. I have two very large rocks and some Tongan branch rock and thinking about keeping the aquascape simple. I guess there is 150 lbs of rock in tank currently.

please help with ideas and thoughts on current look and feel of tank, thanks!

1580795500359.png

I'd consider breaking up the large rock and using E Marco 400 cement to make some interesting caves and overhangs. Maybe move more of the rock to one side and leave a empty sand in the middle.

If you don't want to break the rock, I'd move the small rock and the branch to one side and the large rock to the other. You have a nice long tank and I would personally like to see two separate islands.

OP
OP
Forshurley

Forshurley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hard to see in this picture but large middle rock is pitched and over hangs rock on left and separate/ not touching so kind of like islands. I dont plan on sand based on flow.

I will take your advise and try to make some more caves, more pictures to come.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to be focused more on the SPS, LPS, or softies? Or are you thinking more along the line of a complete mix? The reason I ask is because that large rock in the middle would provide a lot of surface area for SPS/acros. Try to look down the road. When your corals start to become larger colonies, where do you want to see those colonies?

I personally think your layout holds a lot of promise for the future. In the end it comes down to what you think. If you like it, go for it.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big rock kind of dominates the whole tank. Not my style but all that matters is if you like it.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think that is roughly what you want to see for a profile when it grows out, cut the rock work in half now. Once acropora take off, they will grow a foot in a year pretty easy. With what you have, that means they're at the water surface within 2 years (one to get established and one to grow out). Anything you place up high is also going to block light for corals below it so the flatter is up there, the better so everything is getting light.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, it’s not my style, but if you are going for the minimalist look with large pieces, I think it’s a nice scape. That scape does hold a lot of potential for future coral growth too, so if you like it, I think you should keep it.

Arricefe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve recently had a change of thought on aqua-scape. I was a rack and stack kind of guy but I got a PAR meter and found out that one big pile of rocks limits the amount of surface that would be in the higher PAR readings Range. if you plan on a SPS dominant tank you probably want more surface closer to the light. Just a thought.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back