Thoughts on installing an air line to outside my home for my skimmer?

RussC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a very tight house with spray foam insulation top to bottom. Long of the short of it...my PH never exceeds 7.8. Its interesting to watch, too. Left town for week. House was completely closed. We weren't there to breath CO2 and the PH went up to 8.25 ish over that time every day. Anyway, I'm thinking about running a line to the exterior of my house to increase my PH. I believe this will improve my coral growth. Things I'm considering:

1) What about outside contaminants such as yard fertilizer overspray,, etc? So I'm thinking about installing an inline carbon filter in this pvc pipe style line. Nothing fancy. Just a larger section of pipe full of our normal filtering carbon we use in the tank. Any ideas? Any thoughts on that?
2) What about temperature changes? I live in the south. We have really hot days. Just how much temperature fluctuations could one expect with a line plumbed directly to the outside? This line I'm thinking about would not exceed a 1" diameter.

Just to make my point. The fireplace is in the center of the house. When we burn a fire, I have to crack a window to allow airflow for this fire to burn and create the necessary airflow up the chimney to carry the smoke out. My house is sealed. Its one heck of an insulator. Fabulous savings on electricity. But it does have a few drawbacks one has to consider.

I plan to connect this line to my skimmer air intake line.

mclark452

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the exact same issues. I live in Texas. I ran a line outside and really didn't notice a significant change in my pH. Sure it went up a little, but nothing to get excited about. I really didn't notice a significant temp increase from drawing in the outside air either. I think this was due to the length the air had to travel thru the air conditioned house before it reached my skimmer. I ended up dialing back my 2 part dosage and incorporating some kalk into the mix. Now my pH fluctuates from about 8.2 to 8.4 over the course of the day.

OP
OP
RussC

RussC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose two part as well. I'm not familiar with working with Kalk. By adding Kalk, you were able to reduce the dosing schedule for both alk and ca and you noticed an increase in the PH? Did you see any growth changes in the tank?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back