Thoughts on keeping a larger puffer fish in a softie only tank as opposed to FOWLR?

Jorda320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been putting some serious consideration into starting up a FOWLR, most likely somewhere around a standard 120 or 150, and I seem to find myself staring at the dog face puffer fish in my LFS and thought this would be a great excuse to get one. Or potentially a porcupine puffer if I go larger then 150. Realistically I'd put one small tang in there maybe with one fox face to work on the algae control since CUC inverts are out. I've been doing plenty of research and I read all the usual "not reef safe" comments but I never read anything regarding soft corals. I'm going to try to track down some algae that the tang won't eat for the display but if there's a chance that the puffer fish will leave soft corals and maybe gorgonians alone I might as well take this from a FOWLR to a softie only tank. I just wanted to ask if anyone had any opinions or experience that could help me make a good choice here that could h.elp me make a good choice here

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had and know people who have Porcupine Puffers in reef tanks. I had my Porcupine in a mixed reef tank for 4 years prior to the power outage. Two good friends of mine have porcupines in their reef tanks currently. One of them had a Dogface in a softy tank for 8 years before a carpet anemone eat him. The dogface did eat his bubble tip anemones. But didn't mes with the soft coral.

OP
OP
J

Jorda320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of what I read seems to be the thing that is what I'm saying here. Some people say coral and macro are okay and others say with caution. I'm thinking maybe this is one of those depends on the fish's personality situations? I was thinking more for aesthetics rather than any sort of nutrient control. I might try putting a baby sized puffer in my 75 for a few months to see how it tolerates softies and macro and then if I have success go forward with the larger tank upgrade. And if not the LFS will always take fish as donation.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of what I read seems to be the thing that is what I'm saying here. Some people say coral and macro are okay and others say with caution. I'm thinking maybe this is one of those depends on the fish's personality situations? I was thinking more for aesthetics rather than any sort of nutrient control. I might try putting a baby sized puffer in my 75 for a few months to see how it tolerates softies and macro and then if I have success go forward with the larger tank upgrade. And if not the LFS will always take fish as donation.
It depends on the fish, and amount of rock in the tank, I feel a baby kept around corals would be more likely to eat corals, one who grows up using rocks to dull their beak instead my be less likely to do so. Although its pretty up in the air, no real guarantee either way. Whats in the 75 gal? if there are any inverts like snails and crabs it will almost always eat them, no matter the puffer

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it is hot or mid based on individual personalities, that being said I feel most people just regurgitate what they have heard or read. As I've said I had a Porcupine for years, zero issues. My buddy Grant so has his. My buddy Joe had both a dogface and Porcupine, other than the dogface eating bubble tips. I've used Mexican turbo Snails at the store with my dogface and he hasn't messed with them. He actually didn't mess with a cleaner Shrimp either. I would not trust most Puffers with Snails that fit in their mouths or shrimp/Crabs as that is the natural diet.

OP
OP
J

Jorda320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the fish, and amount of rock in the tank, I feel a baby kept around corals would be more likely to eat corals, one who grows up using rocks to dull their beak instead my be less likely to do so. Although its pretty up in the air, no real guarantee either way. Whats in the 75 gal? if there are any inverts like snails and crabs it will almost always eat them, no matter the puffer

Right now my 75 is primarily softie and LPS but I do have a decent cleanup crew. I suppose I will end up having to do quite a bit of moving things around before I could consider getting the puffer or maybe even set up a temporary tank just to see how he behaves.

OP
OP
J

Jorda320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it is hot or mid based on individual personalities, that being said I feel most people just regurgitate what they have heard or read. As I've said I had a Porcupine for years, zero issues. My buddy Grant so has his. My buddy Joe had both a dogface and Porcupine, other than the dogface eating bubble tips. I've used Mexican turbo Snails at the store with my dogface and he hasn't messed with them. He actually didn't mess with a cleaner Shrimp either. I would not trust most Puffers with Snails that fit in their mouths or shrimp/Crabs as that is the natural diet.

I have given some thought about what's snails might be okay to house with the puffer. I am aware that some of the conch snails can get huge and I have read about zebra turbo snails and top crown snails that get significantly larger than Mexican turbos snails. I thought maybe a smaller amount of larger inverts might be a decent cleanup crew assuming the puffer is not interested in something that big. On the other hand I suppose I could try to add in a ton of smaller snails like cerith snails which are active usually when the lights are off. I do think it is worth a shot to try and as you said it does seem to vary fish to fish. I've heard the horror stories but also watched YouTube videos with porcupine puffers in SPS tanks with their owners saying how we'll behave they are. If I do go forward with this I think I'll start a build thread and just track what works and does not work with my specific puffer

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 47 48.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 52 53.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 22 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.2%
Back