Thoughts on lighting for 180 gallon sps heavy mixed reef

atnet360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for Christmas my wife is getting me a 180 gallon tank as an upgrade to the 60 gallon cube I've been working on the last year (best wife ever!).

In the near term it will be mostly LPS, but I have no doubt that SPS and acros are in my future.

I've been reviewing the BRSTV investigates series on lighting and feel pretty confident I want to go with Radions, but interested in the community's thoughts on 3 XR 30s vs 4, or 5 Xr15s.

Obviously cost is a factor, but I'm more concerned with getting optimal lighting and spread for the long term goals of the tank.

Tank is a standard 180 (6x2x2).

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for Christmas my wife is getting me a 180 gallon tank as an upgrade to the 60 gallon cube I've been working on the last year (best wife ever!).

In the near term it will be mostly LPS, but I have no doubt that SPS and acros are in my future.

I've been reviewing the BRSTV investigates series on lighting and feel pretty confident I want to go with Radions, but interested in the community's thoughts on 3 XR 30s vs 4, or 5 Xr15s.

Obviously cost is a factor, but I'm more concerned with getting optimal lighting and spread for the long term goals of the tank.

Tank is a standard 180 (6x2x2).
I’d go with more individual pucks. Simply because of the spread. I’m sure the 30’s are a good way also. You can’t go wrong but with more individual you can spread them out more and create little to no hotspots.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up 3 xr30s for my 180 and am supplementing with 4 80w t5s to even the shadowing. Debating on the prospect of getting 3 more in the future to ensure complete coverage throughout.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back