Thoughts on lights for a 120g mixed reef (a few softies, some lps, and a few sps)

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been forced to slow down and rethink my 120g build. I’ve had enough time to research enough to have caught a bit of the SPS bug. That said, allow me to list what I’m thinking as far as coral stocking, and what I’m looking for as far as lights.

So, stocking list:
Softies - zoas, Pipe organs, maybe a shroom or two
LPS- euphylia, Favia, possibly alevopora or gonis
Sps- stylos, maybe some pocis, leptos, and pavona.

I’m envisioning three levels within my tank lowest being softies, lps mid level, what few sps I go with at the top.

So, as far as lighting goes. As much as I’d like something like radions, i just can’t afford them. I followed the orphek thread and like the idea of the almost plug and play simplicity of their bars. Problem is, while I’m not concerned about having a controller as sophisticated as what’s on radions, I still would like at least a rudimentary timer for basic day And night cycles.

Which leads me to the other light that seems so good I wanted to start this thread to get some real anecdotal feedback. I’m really interested in the noopsyche k7 ii. From what I understand they’ve got rudimentary control (at least in line with what I’m looking for). Also, the price makes getting 4 or 5 units actually possible for me.

So, for what I’m looking to have as far as coral goes, would either orphek bars (I’m pretty sure I’d need at least 3 for even basic sps) or the noopsyche be at least adequate for what I’m trying to accomplish? And if not, what do you all recommend?

I’m not really looking to get into T5 or MH simply due to the energy consumption vs led.

Thanks to anyone and everyone who weighs in!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening @BeltedCoyote

Sounds like you have a good plan for the coral. I can only say I have heard good things about the noopsyche. Never owned them. Vivaspectra is another. I believe @Flippers4pups has been happy with his he just got.

I always point people in the direction of our marketplace as a source for pre-owned if interested.

Maybe some other can chime in

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening @BeltedCoyote

Sounds like you have a good plan for the coral. I can only say I have heard good things about the noopsyche. Never owned them. Vivaspectra is another. I believe @Flippers4pups has been happy with his he just got.

I always point people in the direction of our marketplace as a source for pre-owned if interested.

I'm using a Viparsectra as a frag light. I'm getting good growth across the board with SPS and LPS with it. Internal timer is nice. Cheap and seems to be well made. No complaints.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^that marketplace is evil lol. I’ve picked up so many used Kessil for my tank.

Given what you’re talking about running I think you’d be just fine with 2-4 of the Noopsyche fixtures. I almost switched to those recently but decided to keep my Kessil.

I picked up an Ocean Revive off eBay for $150 and have it over my Frag tank, that thing puts out some serious light.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening @BeltedCoyote

thank you!

I'm using a Viparsectra as a frag light. I'm getting good growth across the board with SPS and LPS with it. Internal timer is nice. Cheap and seems to be well made. No complaints.

I hadn’t heard of those before now. I took a look at their site, which light are you running? Looks like they’ve got two options
^that marketplace is evil lol. I’ve picked up so many used Kessil for my tank.

Given what you’re talking about running I think you’d be just fine with 2-4 of the Noopsyche fixtures. I almost switched to those recently but decided to keep my Kessil.

I picked up an Ocean Revive off eBay for $150 and have it over my Frag tank, that thing puts out some serious light.

Thanks! After doing more research and speaking to a few people in the review thread for the k7, I’m going to go with the noopsyches. I’m starting with 3 and will add a 4th if needed. The only thing is I have a eurobraced tank so I’ll have toput my DIY pants on to figure out mounting lol

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back