Thoughts On My Aquarium Water Based On Triton NDOC Tests

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received four TrIton NDOC test results for four samples from my system: aquarium water, 0.22 micron filtered aquarium water, 0.22 micron filtered Ulva pond water (my algae nitrate scrubber) and skimmate (table below).

The first thing to note is that my aquarium water total organic carbon and total nitrogen (1st and 2nd table entries) rank amongst the lowest in an R2R survey of aquaria (see plot below the table). Keep in mind that total nitrogen is the sum of organic nitrogen and nitrate nitrogen. For my system, once nitrate nitrogen is subtracted, there is little organic nitrogen floating around. I don’t know if that is good or bad, or a “so what” observation.

40B3122A-4A1D-49F1-B825-CCD071A002A2.jpeg

566090D6-0D21-4576-8546-D2B28683F623.png

Comparing the results for the tank water against filtered tank water, my first response was “I just wasted money”, but @taricha points out that the bacteria in the unfiltered tank water consumed some of the organic carbon. For this post, that is the explanation I will stick with but note that contamination and testing variation need to be eliminated as causes before crying eureka, So, filtering the tank water did not reduce organic carbon and nitrogen by removing particulate matter as I had thought but stopped organic matter from being consumed.

Filtered Ulva pond water shows a higher concentration of organic carbon and a lower amount of total nitrogen than filtered aquarium water. This result was anticipated because the algae in the Ulva pond are actively consuming nitrate. The excess organic carbon in the pond could be from algae exudate or just because the pond is richer in organic carbon waste from a high concentration of heterotrophs of all sizes. If I increased the flow rate to the pond, the water results would no doubt look more like those of the aquarium water.

And finally, does a skimmer remove a significant amount of organic carbon and organic nitrogen? The table below shows the total amounts of organic carbon and nitrogen (after subtracting nitrate nitrogen) for the aquarium (380 L) and for the average daily skimmate volume (1.5 L). Skimmate contains a larger percent of the total system organic nitrogen than organic carbon. I wonder what GAC removes every day? I have two more NDOC test kits left if anyone has an idea about testing GAC performance.

4139AA31-F9E8-4385-B1A4-CB8D93B29481.jpeg

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With chlorine demand, I could detect the difference before and ~30 min after a feeding of mushed up cubes of frozen. This is probably just a snapshot of the part of the feeding that doesn't go into any mouths. proteins etc in the water.
Since your system is such an efficient Organics removal machine, and you already have a good baseline you could probably get a good feel for what GAC does for you by subtraction. Take your GAC offline for 3 days or 7, and then run another Triton NDOC test.

OP
OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With chlorine demand, I could detect the difference before and ~30 min after a feeding of mushed up cubes of frozen. This is probably just a snapshot of the part of the feeding that doesn't go into any mouths. proteins etc in the water.
Since your system is such an efficient Organics removal machine, and you already have a good baseline you could probably get a good feel for what GAC does for you by subtraction. Take your GAC offline for 3 days or 7, and then run another Triton NDOC test.
That should work.

I am on the verge of my 3 month GAC replacement and I might take the old GAC offline, sample after 7 days, then put the fresh GAC online and sample 1-7 days later.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm.... I'll randomly guess 75% higher DOC without GAC for a week.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, filtering the tank water did not reduce organic carbon and nitrogen by removing particulate matter as I had thought but stopped organic matter from being consumed.

Which, if true, seems like it says the whole idea of testing organics in an unfiltered sample sent away is bogus, right?

There would be no way to know how much higher it really was when taken from the tank.

OP
OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which, if true, seems like it says the whole idea of testing organics in an unfiltered sample sent away is bogus, right?
Yes, a questionable practice. I want to replicate the result though.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back