Thoughts on my branch only aquascape?

Sitcher6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looking for feedback on my aquascape made using only RealReef branch rock. Overall I like how it turned out but wondering if it’s too minimalist? I tried to leave plenty of room for coral growth as I’m going SPS dominant. What do y’all think, add some more or good as is? Tank is 24”x24”x20” for reference.

EC8843B0-6168-41DE-8922-EE6EE1B08057.jpeg
4B71A19A-B092-4FE9-9593-EA888BB0D493.jpeg
C04CB21F-7D11-4F77-82B1-0B7ED421477C.jpeg

r20crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will need more height if doing sps.... as some SPS will need higher par levels than others and right now your avaliable par #'s would be really limited with everything being the same height-ish.

you can always drill holes in the branches and attach them with acrylic rods and putty to eachother to get more height and different shapes

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't think I would like it at all, but I actually do. Provides all kinds of small holes for fish and inverts to get lost in and hide. Also tons of room to attach coral. I don't think I would change anything.......provides the look of a traditional rock scape using branches, which isn't easy to do lol.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe some branches branching upward. You can mount on the tips of the branches. Be sure enough fish cave room. Here is mine with that same branch using caribsea and the Real Reef. I can mount sps higher, other corals lower.

so maybe change it up a bit with the branches

20210703_224113.jpg

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks OK. It might look more interesting if you can go vertical or create an arch of some sort with a couple of the branches.

You can see how the verticals work with this guys tank:

Last edited:

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of it. People really tend to scape too high in sps tanks (I speak from experience!) you’re on the right track with leaving room for it to fill in. That’s where your tank will look natural with the vertical growth you’ll get. Sure it might look minimalist now but it’s just the rock. Some make amazing aquascapes so it looks good from the start but once acros fill in it all changes anyway.

Detritus with the right structure, if you can use a few small pieces of rock to elevate it off the sand slightly you’ll get better flow and the sand will be allow to move more freely. Right now with the flow sps require you’re going to bury them.

the sand to me looks too fine like an oolite or Fiji pink for acropora flow. I prefer special grade but that’s just me, I really crank the flow.

lilreefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like it. It looks so natural. Most natural and cohesive scape in this thread imo. Also really like the shape of it too

OP
OP
S

Sitcher6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like it. It looks so natural. Most natural and cohesive scape in this thread imo. Also really like the shape of it too
Thanks lilreefer! Appreciate it. I'm really happy with how it turned out. I played around with it a bit more trying to implement some of the suggestions on here, but ultimately left it how I had it as anything else looked off.

I like it, beats the "wall of rock" that you typically see
Thanks! I tried to avoid the wall or pile of rocks look.

I love the look of it. People really tend to scape too high in sps tanks (I speak from experience!) you’re on the right track with leaving room for it to fill in. That’s where your tank will look natural with the vertical growth you’ll get. Sure it might look minimalist now but it’s just the rock. Some make amazing aquascapes so it looks good from the start but once acros fill in it all changes anyway.

Detritus with the right structure, if you can use a few small pieces of rock to elevate it off the sand slightly you’ll get better flow and the sand will be allow to move more freely. Right now with the flow sps require you’re going to bury them.

the sand to me looks too fine like an oolite or Fiji pink for acropora flow. I prefer special grade but that’s just me, I really crank the flow.
Thanks Smite, I think the vertical room will be perfect the more I think about it. I ordered the OceanDirect sand, thinking it would be much more coarse, but it is in fact very fine like you noted. I've got the flow turned down a bit on the vortech's to keep it from blowing around so we will see how it does once I add some corals and up the flow back. Might have to suck out the super fine stuff and add some coarser material eventually.

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I look at it the more it is growing on me.

I think that I got stuck on that third image which made it look like a pile of rocks. However the second image shows how it has more structure with lots of nooks and crannies for fish to swim through and hide in.

OP
OP
S

Sitcher6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I look at it the more it is growing on me.

I think that I got stuck on that third image which made it look like a pile of rocks. However the second image shows how it has more structure with lots of nooks and crannies for fish to swim through and hide in.

Thanks for the continued thoughts on it Mike. I can see how the third image would give that impression. Obviously it's hard to capture exactly how a 3D aquascape looks in a few 2D pictures, but you are right, there is a ton of hidey holes and even a couple larger swim throughs.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is stunning. It has a nice natural flow look about it, almost like hair floating in the water. It's giving me mermaid vibes - in a good way. No offense to others but I'm not a fan of the antler look, it's not natural. If I had the branches, I would totally replicate this. Great job!!! Don't change a thing.
on the run hello GIF

OP
OP
S

Sitcher6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is stunning. It has a nice natural flow look about it, almost like hair floating in the water. It's giving me mermaid vibes - in a good way. No offense to others but I'm not a fan of the antler look, it's not natural. If I had the branches, I would totally replicate this. Great job!!! Don't change a thing.
on the run hello GIF
Thank you!! For sure, I tried to make it flow naturally, as though it's all originating from the back left of the tank and coming out and spreading from that point. I agree with the antler look not being super natural in my eyes as well. Mermaid look works for me, I actually have a mermaid tattoo lol.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it but I think the main pile looks like...a pile of branches. It may look better if there are branches sticking out in different directions
This ^^^ I think it would be a bit more natural looking if the branches were sticking out. Pluse there would be a ton of places to put coral.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not my cup of tea either, but it does have great areas for fish to hide and make a little place for themselves. It gives lots of areas for corals to grow and spread! It will really be hidden once corals grow in anyway. So, if it works for your animals, go for it!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 92 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back