Thoughts on Nero 5 at 100% to flush away detritus in 3-foot LPS tank

ItalCanadaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of blasting my AI Nero 5 at 100% (3040 gph) twice a day for 5 minutes a time to flush away detritus. Do you think this will be far too harsh on LPS corals? I am noticing lots of uneaten food shooting right up when I do this, but I am wondering if this would be detrimental to LPS once I add them in.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crank them up at night when things are closed up, I like to add a very high flow at night just for your reason
Huh, my pumps actually have an automatic feature that cranks them down at night so the fish can rest easy

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh, my pumps actually have an automatic feature that cranks them down at night so the fish can rest easy

I run nutrient transport mode for an hour cycle on all 6 vortechs, fish seem fine and they all sleep in rocks. I would like even more flow but due to having a mixed reef its a no go. I can see it being an issue in a small tank.

clifg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the icecaps but 3 times a day I turn the pumps off for 5 minutes followed by 100% for 5 minutes. The rest of the day is pretty random and at night turned to about 40%. Everything seems to be doing well with this and it's a copy of one of the settings on the hydros wave engine, "hurricane mode."

OP
OP
ItalCanadaReefer

ItalCanadaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I like that it flushes detritus from dead spots and from the sand bed but I’m worried it’s too much for soft corals. I saw clove polyps seemed to close up when on at 100%. But then again, I’ve only had corals in there for two days. I’m just not sure if it’s overboard, and pushing it to the point that it’ll kill these less follow-tolerant species.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.0%
Back