Thoughts on Seachem Matrix to reduce NO3?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! 120G reef tank about 9 months old. Fairly light bio-load (7 fish) but nitrates seem to hover 15-20ppm range with 20% weekly water changes. I realize that this isn't overly high, but would like to add more fish etc but concerned about nitrates / phosphates increasing.

Was going to add Seachem Matrix in the sump to reduce NO3 as it seems a fairly natural and stable way of managing nitrates. But would appreciate thoughts / experiences from others. Thanks in advance.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! 120G reef tank about 9 months old. Fairly light bio-load (7 fish) but nitrates seem to hover 15-20ppm range with 20% weekly water changes. I realize that this isn't overly high, but would like to add more fish etc but concerned about nitrates / phosphates increasing.

Was going to add Seachem Matrix in the sump to reduce NO3 as it seems a fairly natural and stable way of managing nitrates. But would appreciate thoughts / experiences from others. Thanks in advance.

Works exceptionally well for me! I have to dose NO3 otherwise it would bottom out, I use a ton of it in the sumps of all my tanks, love it! Doesnt take up much room and allows for room for a lot of denitrification and nitrification .

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Works exceptionally well for me! I have to dose NO3 otherwise it would bottom out, I use a ton of it in the sumps of all my tanks, love it! Doesnt take up much room and allows for room for a lot of denitrification and nitrification .
Thanks! Where do you place the media? Thinking of just putting it in a media bag and placing it in a low flow area of my sump.

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't use anything else, fantastic stuff, Mine is in a media bag in sump after filter socks, it can take a few weeks for it to take effect so don't expect results over night.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Where do you place the media? Thinking of just putting it in a media bag and placing it in a low flow area of my sump.

Ya that works! I have some in a bubble trap area of sump so water flows through it fast and I also use it as a substrate basically for the fuge. Very low flow here.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 103 57.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 53 29.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 64 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 53 29.6%
Back