Thoughts on the new BRS? (ECOTECH, NEPTUNE, MARINE DEPOT, BRS)

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!

next weekend, i get a Red Sea Reefer 350, 2 Hydra 26s, 2 MP40s, ReefOcto Skimmer, all the live rock, 2 yellow tangs and rest of the gear all for free, because his wife hates it
this is going to sound bad, but some of the best bargains on the planet are in the saltwater aquarium used market. When people want out, they want OUT. I could call cleaning/repairing/tlc a “side business”, that’s what I tell my wife anyway when I come home with more stuff

Last edited by a moderator:

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will all see in 3 to 5 years.
Is anyone arguing that Bertram does care though? I don’t think anyone is that naive. Its not like Scripps invested. I’m sure we all hold stock in companies we don’t care about at all. It’s an opportunity on both sides, BRS will hopefully utilize it well and Bertram gains also.
I think a lot of folks don’t understand, and think this is a long term relationship where Ryan gets to fill his reefing wish list.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is going to sound bad, but some of the best bargains on the planet are in the saltwater aquarium used market. When people want out, they want OUT. I could call cleaning/repairing/tlc a “side business”, that’s what I tell my wife anyway when I come home with more s***
I do the same. Ironically, its Ryan and his crew, promoting all this unnecessary gear that drives so many people out of reefing, selling their gear for pennies on the dollar. They get sold on the idea you have a problem, like cyano, you need Trident, an algae scrubber and a roller-mat to fix the problems in your reef tank, when you just needed to read Julian Sprungs book and learn the basics.

So, they buy all this stuff, watch YouTube and fail, and you gain the spoils!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which ever way you lean, remember, this is business, and nothing more. It happens in everyday life, we are just blind to it because we ignore it. Buy outs, mergers, and such happen everyday, the only difference is we ALL are part of this one.;)

When its all said and done, I STILL HAVE NO ISSUE, with those that were merged together. I will still buy from all 3, if need be.

Remember, BRS bought Marine Depot, BECAUSE, Marine Depot had been asking them to buy them out for several years beforehand. Bertram acquired BRS, Neptune, and Ecotech, SO, there is a difference.

Last edited:

Tamale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work in this VC and PE industry and have worked with companies like Bertram. Nothing wrong with what they are doing..they are making money. But if you think this is about futhering the hobby..I most respectfully request you to have your head check (trying to be funny, not insulative). There is are major reasons these M&A are happening right now...1) expected tax rates going up across the board 2) expected capital gains rates going up on the wealthy 3) low interest rates which help with valuations. These are all factors that go into these types of decisions when a company like Bertram get involved and Bertram making the moves that they made over the last year. This is not some altruistic event. This is about good old fashioned green.

wall street top 100 movie quotes GIF
I mean that’s obvious lol. This is the US. But that doesn’t mean that the 3 reef companies involved aren’t using that greed to also further their own individual goals for the hobby. Bertrams goals are bertrams goals, and certainly there will be decisions that affect the companies and consumers involve. But this isn’t some sky Is falling event like a lot of people are shouting. There will certainly be a mix of good and bad that comes from this.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over It Reaction GIF

I said it before and I 'll say it again, you cant change a person's mind and it is tilting at windmiills to debate in the hopes of doing so. I'm out.
You actually can influence folks to change their mind — my first industry is creative but rn I work within politics, and what we do is influence campaigns ;)

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the same. Ironically, its Ryan and his crew, promoting all this unnecessary gear that drives so many people out of reefing, selling their gear for pennies on the dollar. They get sold on the idea you have a problem, like cyano, you need Trident, an algae scrubber and a roller-mat to fix the problems in your reef tank, when you just needed to read Julian Sprungs book and learn the basics.

So, they buy all this stuff, watch YouTube and fail, and you gain the spoils!
This is actually why I began to worry about what I’d gotten into w/setting up a tank. I bought everything through MD b/c they’d been around forever and then literally not even a year later they were acquired. Then the hits just keep on coming. I’m like oh no. And you do feel like you’re always being sold some kind of snake oil or gear you just don’t need. That kind of thing is a huge turnoff to me. I have been enjoying my tank, so I’ll stick w/it, but will def not be lead to buy a bunch of stuff I don’t need.

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually why I began to worry about what I’d gotten into w/setting up a tank. I bought everything through MD b/c they’d been around forever and then literally not even a year later they were acquired. Then the hits just keep on coming. I’m like oh no. And you do feel like you’re always being sold some kind of snake oil or gear you just don’t need. That kind of thing is a huge turnoff to me. I have been enjoying my tank, so I’ll stick w/it, but will def not be lead to buy a bunch of stuff I don’t need.
Man, I get that. The emails and adds from ALL the shops kill me with my techy love. Just remember back in the day we all did it with jugs of water, some cobbled RO system, salt, some form of light, and at the very least filter pads. My most successful (imo but also much more mature than any of my current tanks) reef was just 20% water changes weekly, under a halide, with a powerful return, and filter pads.

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started buying stuff from BRS around 2009 or 10 when basically they were about DIY additives, RODI, reef chili and bulk chemicals. They have swelled way beyond that, but still seem to have decent prices. Honestly, if they were not so close to me, I would probably buy everything I buy from them from Amazon instead. I do see problems with the incestuous nature of the recent acquisitions and them jettisoning products that compete, though.

Looks like there is a niche market open for what BRS used to be...

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started buying stuff from BRS around 2009 or 10 when basically they were about DIY additives, RODI, reef chili and bulk chemicals. They have swelled way beyond that, but still seem to have decent prices. Honestly, if they were not so close to me, I would probably buy everything I buy from them from Amazon instead. I do see problems with the incestuous nature of the recent acquisitions and them jettisoning products that compete, though.

Looks like there is a niche market open for what BRS used to be...

LOL
Worries about BRS
May buy from Amazon instead.

This thread has generated a lot of pity within me. Woe is the future of humanity.

I especially like the way you have never noticed that you elect people that make things bad, they tell you they will fix it and take your money to do it. So they make things worse, tell you they will work harder to fix it, take more of your money... They have completed 7 or 8 cycles of this in my adult lifetime. Works every time.
NOTHING has gotten better.

But someday. They are working on it. They need more of your money.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back