Thoughts on the Nyos Quantum Skimmers, are they really worth the money!

JEREMY HELMINIAK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at buying one of these nyos skimmers, thought I would come here first and see what everyone else’s thoughts were on these. Price tag is pretty steep and I’ve seen good reviews. Anyone have personal experience with these?

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at buying one of these nyos skimmers, thought I would come here first and see what everyone else’s thoughts were on these. Price tag is pretty steep and I’ve seen good reviews. Anyone have personal experience with these?
I have owned two over the years... AMAZING skimmers! Just be careful of light leaks...they will grow algae and can make it difficult to clean. FYI the only reason why i have another is i upgraded to a larger aquarium.

OP
OP
J

JEREMY HELMINIAK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have owned two over the years... AMAZING skimmers! Just be careful of light leaks...they will grow algae and can make it difficult to clean. FYI the only reason why i have another is i upgraded to a larger aquarium.
I was looking at buying the 220 Quantum rated 300-500 gallons just that 800$ price tag I wanna be sure it’s dang well worth it.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was buying in this price range it would definitely be Deltec. However I'm not totally convinced they're a lot better than an Octopus for 30-40% less money either.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I am partial to Reef Octopus skimmers, but Nyos is a solid brand with solid support.

PlasmaBoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Octopus for years has been pulling gunk out of my tanks, will one costing five times the amount pull 5 times the gunk or even twice or even 20% more ? Skimmers another area ripping off the brand fans for years. Never had issues with dialling in etc.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's one of the skimmer in BRS's test video .

I watched that episode primer live. It was so funny. Before they get to the Nyos one, people are so cheering for Nyos. Then the numbers drop, and everyone's like ;Bored;Facepalm;Muted, then lol

I'd say it doesn't worth its price point where its air draw is less than half of what it claims.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's one of the skimmer in BRS's test video .

I watched that episode primer live. It was so funny. Before they get to the Nyos one, people are so cheering for Nyos. Then the numbers drop, and everyone's like ;Bored;Facepalm;Muted, then lol

I'd say it doesn't worth its price point where its air draw is less than half of what it claims.

Eh to each its own... i look at the overall performance....not arbitrary numbers.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 160 & would not buy again for one main reason. EcoTech who is the supplier here in the states has had to replace the pump 3 times do to it losing it's ability to draw Air into the pinwheel after cleaning. It takes minutes to correct itself unless I pick up the whole skimmer out of the water a few times like I'm washing clothes the old timey way. Others have had the same issue. It is easy to take apart & clean which is nice.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh to each its own... i look at the overall performance....not arbitrary numbers.

I don't doubt they perform for many, otherwise they won't be in the market for long. But it's hard to believe it works twice as good, if it's really better in the first place, than the other skimmers to justify the premium.

sveOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any place in the U.S. that sells them can’t seem to find any for sale one the ole inter web

Battlecorals sells them in the US. I have a 1000i.. just booted it up.. super quite, super easy to dial in. Little early to tell about anything else yet, but seems like a workhorse. Had a deltec back in the day, which I was very happy with. They are much more common in Europe.

Back