Thoughts on the Nyos Quantum Skimmers, are they really worth the money!

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't doubt they perform for many, otherwise they won't be in the market for long. But it's hard to believe it works twice as good, if it's really better in the first place, than the other skimmers to justify the premium.
I get your point, but we can say that about everything in this business.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get your point, but we can say that about everything in this business.

Sorry I'm not getting how it's same as everything in this business. Things don't just charge for an additional price from other similar items without offering additional value. But I failed to see what make Nyos skimmers worth almost double the price from similar models from Reef Octopus, Skimz, Red Sea, etc. I'm not saying it's a bad skimmer, just not necessarily better than the competitors.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I'm not getting how it's same as everything in this business. Things don't just charge for an additional price from other similar items without offering additional value. But I failed to see what make Nyos skimmers worth almost double the price from similar models from Reef Octopus, Skimz, Red Sea, etc. I'm not saying it's a bad skimmer, just not necessarily better than the competitors.
Meaning people debate the same thing with LED's (Radions vs. Amazon LEDs). Is it worth the extra cost....

OP
OP
J

JEREMY HELMINIAK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Octopus for years has been pulling gunk out of my tanks, will one costing five times the amount pull 5 times the gunk or even twice or even 20% more ? Skimmers another area ripping off the brand fans for years. Never had issues with dialling in etc.
have a Eshopps x160 right now and I haven’t been that happy with it seems like every other day something is going on with it, it’s overflowed for no reason three times in the last month and I literally mean for no reason I start to notice crap blowing into the tank open up the bottom and it’ll be pumping water right up into the cup. I’ll shut it off turn it on and it’s fine again.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meaning people debate the same thing with LED's (Radions vs. Amazon LEDs). Is it worth the extra cost....

LED is easy. Radion have measurable better power (in PAR), spectrum, spread, and better controllability, mounting options, aesthetics, etc. Whether those additional value worth the price premium varies depends on people. But at least I can find out what I'm buying with that premium. For Nyos skimmer, I don't know what I'm paying that premium for ... If there is something I'm missing, please point it out.

OP
OP
J

JEREMY HELMINIAK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nyos isn’t that much more the reef octopus the one I’m looking at is 799.99 300-500 gal the reef octopus that does the same amount is 649.99

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a problem with either NYOS. BRS or Marine Depot I had purchased them from. Solid skimmer, everyone’s going to have their own opinion.

AnxiousReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for making this thread I too am looki at the nyos for a skimmer as my bubble magus seems to not working as best as it should. Any reviews on Red Sea skimmers? Lol

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not here to argue with anyone but I can say this...if I didn’t think the 160 performed extremely well I wouldn’t have purchased the 120 when I downsized. I purchased a Skimz, what a mistake, nothing but trouble and didn’t perform.also purchased a Reef Octopus. End of story the two mentioned here were sold cheap. Sometimes the better made product costs more. They have been reliable, very quiet and pull a lot . I never had a problem after cleaning with the pinwheel or anything else.

OP
OP
J

JEREMY HELMINIAK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not here to argue with anyone but I can say this...if I didn’t think the 160 performed extremely well I wouldn’t have purchased the 120 when I downsized. I purchased a Skimz, what a mistake, nothing but trouble and didn’t perform.also purchased a Reef Octopus. End of story the two mentioned here were sold cheap. Sometimes the better made product costs more. They have been reliable, very quiet and pull a lot . I never had a problem after cleaning with the pinwheel or anything else.
What 160 the Nyos or the Eshopps

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read several reports of Nyos skimmer pumps losing the ability to prime upon restart. Any validity time these claims? Any of the Nyos owners on this thread experiencing these failure to prime issues?

Last edited:

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t experienced any issue. I turn it off daily when I feed and it comes right back without any problems.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were the discussions I was referring to...

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were the discussions I was referring to...

I read the posts. I haven’t had any of the problems mentioned. It hasn’t missed a beat. When I clean, it’s disassembled after running in a bucket of vinegar water for a couple hours. Wiped clean and put back into use.

OP
OP
J

JEREMY HELMINIAK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well so far I like the input I’ve received and I think the only way I won’t buy a Nyos skimmer is if I can find a trident in stock somewhere over the next week or two

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back