Thoughts on the Nyos Quantum Skimmers, are they really worth the money!

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LED is easy. Radion have measurable better power (in PAR), spectrum, spread, and better controllability, mounting options, aesthetics, etc. Whether those additional value worth the price premium varies depends on people. But at least I can find out what I'm buying with that premium. For Nyos skimmer, I don't know what I'm paying that premium for ... If there is something I'm missing, please point it out.
The point is everything can be debated. You mentioned radions and par...there are plenty of people on this forum and others have beautiful SPS dominanted tanks that are thriving under cheap black boxes. As for as the nyos skimmers... they arent cheap, however i have never had to fiddle with it to produce outstanding results. It works and it is easy....and quiet.That is worth the cost of admission and i have zero regrets.

OP
OP
J

JEREMY HELMINIAK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just felt like it constantly needed fiddled with to get it skimming properly and was too difficult to get tuned in.
I gotcha I’m probably overdoing it with what I’m running I have 150gallon tank right now but I’m planning on upgrading to a 300 gallon this spring summer and I want to have everything that I need in place before I do it. But at the same time even if I don’t upgrade I’d still like to have better filtration I don’t over feed but I have a couple fish that I feed meats too and is rather have more than what I need instead of just enough.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just felt like it constantly needed fiddled with to get it skimming properly and was too difficult to get tuned in.
I don’t know what went wrong on your end but it’s the easiest skimmer to set. I also have a ph scrubber hooked to mine without issues.

OP
OP
J

JEREMY HELMINIAK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point is everything can be debated. You mentioned radions and par...there are plenty of people on this forum and others have beautiful SPS dominanted tanks that are thriving under cheap black boxes. As for as the nyos skimmers... they arent cheap, however i have never had to fiddle with it to produce outstanding results. It works and it is easy....and quiet.That is worth the cost of admission and i have zero regrets.
I completely agree and understand what your saying, it’s all on personal opinion and it’s pretty much like anything else in life it’s all good until it breaks or there’s a problem. I’m sure there’s always a few bad eggs in the batch and someone’s always going to end up with one at some point. I read a lot of bad reviews on the AI hydra 26 HD’s I bought four of them and it was the best decision I’ve ever made noticed a huge growth in my corals from when I had kessil lights over my tank, and I’m sure there’s someone that would disagree with me on that lol. I thank you and I appreciate your input on the question at hand here. Like I previously said the only thing that would stop me from buying one is if the trident becomes available here at some point within the next week.

OP
OP
J

JEREMY HELMINIAK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know what went wrong on your end but it’s the easiest skimmer to set. I also have a ph scrubber hooked to mine without issues.
How do you hook a scrubber up to the skimmer I’ve always wondered about this I’m also looking at the Nyos reactor

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first pinwheel protein skimmer was developed by Deltec, so everyone else is basically following their lead; I firmly believe in skimmers, you get what you pay for. Good luck with whatever you decide to choose.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you hook a scrubber up to the skimmer I’ve always wondered about this I’m also looking at the Nyos reactor
image.jpg

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to run a scrubber, purchasing color changing media from a vet supply is usually cheaper and definitely works. The piece connecting the tubing was purchased at auto supply.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using a Nyos Quantum 160 for almost 2 years now on my Reefer XL 425 and have had no problems. It's quiet, runs well, and is easy to adjust. I have modified mine with an Avast Marine Swabbie neck cleaner, and the Avast skimmate locker so I don't need to empty the skimmer cup. All three components (skimmer, swabbie, and locker) all integrate with my Apex so the neck cleaner runs every 6 hours, and when the locker is full it turns off the skimmer and sends me an alert so I know to empty the locker (which lasts about 2 weeks). No complaints.

IMG_3746.jpg

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using a Nyos Quantum 160 for almost 2 years now on my Reefer XL 425 and have had no problems. It's quiet, runs well, and is easy to adjust. I have modified mine with an Avast Marine Swabbie neck cleaner, and the Avast skimmate locker so I don't need to empty the skimmer cup. All three components (skimmer, swabbie, and locker) all integrate with my Apex so the neck cleaner runs every 6 hours, and when the locker is full it turns off the skimmer and sends me an alert so I know to empty the locker (which lasts about 2 weeks). No complaints.

IMG_3746.jpg
Very nice skimmer setup

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s for sure on it’s way to being ordered I think I may mount it outside the cabinet though so it’s easier to change the filter
Very easy to change the media, I just disconnect from skimmer and take it out of cabinet. Replace the media and reconnect tubing to skimmer, push on and pull off.

OP
OP
J

JEREMY HELMINIAK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very easy to change the media, I just disconnect from skimmer and take it out of cabinet. Replace the media and reconnect tubing to skimmer, push on and pull off.
Oh ok I didn’t realize it just locked on to that mounting plate I kinda messed up my cabinet when I put the sump in I have a marine land 150gal and the stand isn’t the most convenient the when you open either door the sump is right in front of both doors makes things a pain in the but to work on, but it was my first tank that I set up and did all the plumbing on, live and you learn. Lol

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok I didn’t realize it just locked on to that mounting plate I kinda messed up my cabinet when I put the sump in I have a marine land 150gal and the stand isn’t the most convenient the when you open either door the sump is right in front of both doors makes things a pain in the but to work on, but it was my first tank that I set up and did all the plumbing on, live and you learn. Lol
The mounting plate is on the lid. Yea, trial and error. A lot of us have been there before.

MyTankSux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used tos of skimmers over the years ranging from cpr backpack to 15 foot tall r2k skimmers. This includes euroreef, deltec, mrc, aquamedic, reef octo etc. The most impressed ive ever been with a skimmer as far as build quality, performance and cost is my reef octo 300 ext.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back