Thoughts on the Nyos Quantum Skimmers, are they really worth the money!

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read several reports of Nyos skimmer pumps losing the ability to prime upon restart. Any validity time these claims? Any of the Nyos owners on this thread experiencing these failure to prime issues?
Yes, as I stated in this thread on an earlier post, working on pump #4 for this very reason.

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always cautious about giving a bad review, because what didn't work for me, might work for another. Having said that, I had nothing but trouble getting my NYOS 220 to skim properly. I finally gave up after 3 weeks, and ordered a Deltec 1500i, which as been working great.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the 160 on my 90g and it's solid. I had an issue with the start up, but turned out to be an issue with the incoming voltage to the house. After the power company took care of the issue, it's running like a champ. I feed three times a day and the skimmer shuts off and starts up each time.
If I had to buy a bigger skimmer, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 220, but I would also consider a few others as well. The Red Sea skimmers look promising and Deltec's are great too, but if you have money to burn, then you can look at Bubble King or Life Reef, both of which will set you back what two or three skimmers would cost.

Caliguy1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 160 & would not buy again for one main reason. EcoTech who is the supplier here in the states has had to replace the pump 3 times do to it losing it's ability to draw Air into the pinwheel after cleaning. It takes minutes to correct itself unless I pick up the whole skimmer out of the water a few times like I'm washing clothes the old timey way. Others have had the same issue. It is easy to take apart & clean which is nice.
Same issue here. Ecotech stood behind it and sent me parts. They ended up sending me a completely new skimmer a year later. I sold it and bought a cheap aqua max. It’s done better than my Nyos ever did. But it was a pretty skimmer....

debby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lifereef systems make the best skimmer I've ever used! Since I'm older than most of you.....

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 7.36.59 AM.png

OP
OP
J

JEREMY HELMINIAK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 160 on my 90g and it's solid. I had an issue with the start up, but turned out to be an issue with the incoming voltage to the house. After the power company took care of the issue, it's running like a champ. I feed three times a day and the skimmer shuts off and starts up each time.
If I had to buy a bigger skimmer, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 220, but I would also consider a few others as well. The Red Sea skimmers look promising and Deltec's are great too, but if you have money to burn, then you can look at Bubble King or Life Reef, both of which will set you back what two or three skimmers would cost.
I’m trying to decide if I should go with the 160 for my 150 gallon or if I should just buy the 220 and be done with it

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would opt for the larger skimmer. Better to overskim or dial back, instead of being maxed out.
I have a 160 on 160 gallons and i struggle with to keep nitrates or Phos... tank is pretty loaded and it has no issues keeping up.

Dvanlier05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 160 on my 120 gallon and love it. It's been working great for 3 years and no issues at all. Build quality is great and would definitely recommend

OP
OP
J

JEREMY HELMINIAK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 160 on my 120 gallon and love it. It's been working great for 3 years and no issues at all. Build quality is great and would definitely recommend
I’m just going to buy the 220 and call it a day lol, that way when I upgrade I’ll be all set on the filtration and if I don’t upgrade I’ll be more than covered with what I have now.

symon_say

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers is one of those gears that knowing how to set is more important that the equipment itself.

I don't think nyos worth the price, it doesn't come with added features, to justify the price, and it will perform just like any other skimmer if both are dialed correctly.

OP
OP
J

JEREMY HELMINIAK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers is one of those gears that knowing how to set is more important that the equipment itself.

I don't think nyos worth the price, it doesn't come with added features, to justify the price, and it will perform just like any other skimmer if both are dialed correctly.
Valid point and I get it but at the same time could you then explain why my eshops x160 every two or three days needs to be adjusted either it’s way to low or it’s overflowing the cup, and no water level isn’t changing I have a water level setting in my sump so water level stays the same all the time. Skimmer is a year old started acting like this about three four months ago.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
NYOS is one of those pieces of equipment I've always wanted but never owned

Back