Thoughts on this

BeachBumTX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am scaping for my 120g that is 40 x 30 x 24. I know they are not all the same color. Tallest point is 16" tall. This will be sps dominant. A couple of foundation base rock. Rest is AF rock and Caribsea branching. Nothing glued yet. Will glue in sections so it's not all one piece. Didn't go too high to allow for coral growth. Thoughts?

20220913_164424.jpg 20220913_164415.jpg

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I feel like it a bit to uniform and symmetric. I would try to make one side different than the other in both looks and height. Have a different height and depth at various points allows for mounting to be varied and not just across one line.

Also cant really tell by the pics how much room do you have between the end of the rocks and where the glass would start?

OP
OP
BeachBumTX

BeachBumTX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I feel like it a bit to uniform and symmetric. I would try to make one side different than the other in both looks and height. Have a different height and depth at various points allows for mounting to be varied and not just across one line.

Also cant really tell by the pics how much room do you have between the end of the rocks and where the glass would start?
Should be at least 6 inches between rock and glass

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it looks unnatural, not because of the colors, but the overall shape of it. Personally, I’m not a fan of arches and NSAs. I like my scapes to be somewhat asymmetrical, I like overhangs or arches that don’t connect, I like (for lack of a better term) canyons where there are sort of walls of rock on either side (leave enough room for corals to grow in on these walls), and I like to leave a network of holes in the rockwork where you can’t really see inside (I like it when fish just sort of pop out of the rockwork). I’m also not opposed to just piling it up in a couple piles/bommies. I just never want it to look designed or man made. But it’s your tank, so do whatever you think looks cool.

Also, the different colors of rock would look much better and more natural if they weren’t used like color coded building blocks (this ties into the symmetry), as it looks kind of like some prefab IKEA aquascape where the different parts are color coded (if that makes sense). *I don’t think IKEA sells prefab aquascapes….yet.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not symetric as mentioned

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back