Thoughts on using Tunze Safety Connectors with Nero 5

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a deep cycle 12v marine battery with two Tunze Safety Connectors to run two Tunze powerheads as a back up in case of a power outage. I'd really like to switch over to a couple Nero 5s but don't want to have to switch over all of my Battery Backup too. Does anyone have any legitimate thoughts on whether I can run the Nero 5 powerheads off of the set up that I already have?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find any information on the Nero 5 power supply. If it is a 24VDC power supply and uses the same connector as the Tunze, which is very possible, there is no reason for it not to work.

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After receiving the Nero 5 I found that the power is 24v so I’d need a second 12v battery wired in sequence and I’ll need to pick up a 24v battery tender. The connectors are slightly different but I was able to get it in. Hooked up to 12v it threw a low voltage code as expected. As an option I could pick up a new end connector that fits easier.
thanks for the feedback. Total price for the setup would be a few hundred bucks but that’s really investing in pretty high quality parts that will run the pumps for several days in case of an outage. If it saves 1000s in fish and corals it’s not a bad option

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update for anyone looking into this thread.

I did pick up a second battery and a 24v battery charger/tender. Just got everything hooked up and working. No issues function wise. The plugs from the factory Nero power supply do fit in the tunze safety connectors but it does take a bit of muscle. At no point did I feel like anything was going to break, I just had to work it in a bit. The Tunze connectors fit right into the Nero controller without issue. I am running 2x 12v 100AH Sealed Lead Acid batteries wired together for 24v total output. I am planning to turn them off this weekend and see how long they will run without power.

The following is a list of the parts that I used (there are a lot of options some cheaper) this is only what I personally chose after looking into specs, reviews etc.

Battery x2: Mighty Max Battery 12V 100AH Battery for Solar Wind DEEP Cycle VRLA 12V 24V 48V Brand Product

Charger/Tender: NOCO Genius G15000 12V/24V 15 Amp Pro-Series Battery Charger and Maintainer

Voltage Monitor (optional): bayite DC 6.5-100V 0-100A LCD Display Digital Current Voltage Power Energy Meter Multimeter Ammeter Voltmeter with 100A Current Shunt

Tunze Safety connector x2: Tunze USA 6105.500 Safety Connector for Battery/Solar Backup of Turbelle and Stream Electronic Pumps

Whole setup cost me about $450 (plus some time wiring it up) but like I said before, I have $1000s in fish and corals and this will probably run pumps for several days without outside power depending on the actual settings, I can always turn them up a little once the power actually goes out to keep the water really moving. If it saves most of the life in my tank it'll still be cheap insurance. Also, there ARE cheaper options, I chose not to go the cheaper route.

1615935919944.jpeg

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick question, did you change the connector on the Tunze Safety? If so, can you confirm what to?
Sorry if I missed that in your post

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not change any of th connectors on the safety connector or the Nero. Everything fit, it was just tight

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason you used the safety connectors at all, rather than wiring the pumps directly to the battery? I ask because I’m not certain I want a fuse (and the risk of that failing) between a battery and a pump. Or is it to regulate the amperage?

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason you used the safety connectors at all, rather than wiring the pumps directly to the battery? I ask because I’m not certain I want a fuse (and the risk of that failing) between a battery and a pump. Or is it to regulate the amperage?
The Tunze safety connectors are designed to switch over to battery power automatically should I have a power failure at my house. Wiring the pumps directly to the batteries would have them running specifically off of the batteries. The safety connector lets the pumps run off of my home electric unless the power goes out, saving the battery for emergency power.

Also keep in mind the fuse is designed to "fail" if there is an electrical issue. Since the home circuit breakers won't work once they are running off the battery, you'll want a fuse to prevent a possible electrical fire.

(it's been almost a full 7 days so far and the pumps are still running on battery back-up power)

sgarron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at doing the same. I already picked up a safety connector and a pair of Nero 3's. Now I'm wondering how long it would power a Varios 4.....

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at doing the same. I already picked up a safety connector and a pair of Nero 3's. Now I'm wondering how long it would power a Varios 4.....
I was actually thinking of testing it out on my syncra 9.0 dc (why not run the whole system instead of just moving the water in the tank around) ah but another test for another day!

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't remember what connector the safety connector has, and I don't own a Nero, however i noticed you had to jam the connector in a bit hard. I recently found out there are two standards for the 5.5mm DC jack.. The center pin can be either 2.2mm or 2.5mm. You might be able to pick up, or hand-wire a converter from one to the other so you don't have to hard-jam the connector in.

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the final run-time?
They are actually still going it's been 12 days I think so far

I can't remember what connector the safety connector has, and I don't own a Nero, however i noticed you had to jam the connector in a bit hard. I recently found out there are two standards for the 5.5mm DC jack.. The center pin can be either 2.2mm or 2.5mm. You might be able to pick up, or hand-wire a converter from one to the other so you don't have to hard-jam the connector in.
Very Possibly, and if anyone wants to look into it I'm sure the community would appreciate it. I didn't have enough of a struggle connecting them that I felt I needed to change anything and I don't know the actual sizes to share

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned the power to the two Nero 5s off three weeks ago and there is no sign of them slowing down. I think it's safe to say that if my electric was ever out for over three weeks I'd most likely have other issues to deal with. I'm pretty happy with what I have going on. I may mess around with a 24v return pump and see how long it will run before stopping..... If I could run the water out of the tank and through the sump I think it would be even better.

NeilC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there a specific reason that you went with the Neros and not tunzes? I was looking doing the same thing but want to use one battery. was the app control ability the major factor? Also the hydros wave engine is supposed to be an option too.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw @Reef Box what is the capacity of the battery you’re using? I found a 24v, 100AH LiPO4 battery that, using a calculator, should run a Nero 3 for about 20 days that I’ll probably use.

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there a specific reason that you went with the Neros and not tunzes? I was looking doing the same thing but want to use one battery. was the app control ability the major factor? Also the hydros wave engine is supposed to be an option too.
I went with the Neros because they have a smaller footprint and move a ton of water than the Tunzes that I previously had, the Neros hide much nicer on the back wall of my tank. Also as you mentioned, the controllability is awesome on the Neros, you can pretty much set them up with any variation that you might want. I have mine set on two separate random patterns so flow pretty much varies endlessly throughout the entire day.

Btw @Reef Box what is the capacity of the battery you’re using? I found a 24v, 100AH LiPO4 battery that, using a calculator, should run a Nero 3 for about 20 days that I’ll probably use.
Currently I have 2- 12v 100AH sealed deep cycle batteries running 2-Nero 5s. Combined they are the same as the 24v 100AH Batt that you are looking at, the voltage doubles, while the AH does not.

Last edited:

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the Neros because they have a smaller footprint and move a ton of water than the Tunzes that I previously had, the Neros hide much nicer on the back wall of my tank. Also as you mentioned, the controllability is awesome on the Neros, you can pretty much set them up with any variation that you might want. I have mine set on two separate random patterns so flow pretty much varies endlessly throughout the entire day.

Currently I have 2- 12v 100AH sealed deep cycle batteries running 2-Nero 5s. Combined they are the same as the 24v 100AH Batt that you are looking at, the voltage doubles, while the AH does not.
A dumb question, but to make 24v out of the 2 12v batteries, are the wired negative to positive?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back