Thoughts On Yellow Tang In 75 Gallon Tank 2021 Edition?

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, in the past people have posted about if it’s ok to have a yellow tang in a 75 gallon and most people says that it’s not ok. I wonder if the opinion on this has changed now as my family keeps on bugging me to get a yellow tang. My tank is 75 gallons and 4 feet long. Thanks

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People put fish they shouldn't have in tanks all the time. I usually just go by the recommendations of drreefsquarantinedfish.com and liveaquaria.com
It's my thought that a retailer will stretch the truth so what ever they say is probably the absolute minimum

Jcolhouer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People put fish they shouldn't have in tanks all the time. I usually just go by the recommendations of drreefsquarantinedfish.com and liveaquaria.com
It's my thought that a retailer will stretch the truth so what ever they say is probably the absolute minimum
I have one in my 4 foot 90 gallon. He’s been in there for almost three years. He’s doing fine. If you make the purchase just be willing to trade or sell to someone with a bigger tank as it grows.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt opinions have changed any and I'm sure you know that it's iffy for a yellow tang in that tank. However, it'll take years to outgrow and it's on you to provide adequate (if not optimal) conditions for the fish in your care. So if you have solid plans to go bigger, feel free as that tank will be ok for a long while as long as it's only tang and you take care to feed it properly.

If not, then there are smaller tangs (Bristletooths) that would do well in that tank for their entire life span.

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys but I’ve just read that yellow tangs are rare now? What’s the deal with that, curious even if I’m not going to get one

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is 50k threads on this subject if you take some time to read the first 5 post of any of them you'll see the same answers, it's not about prestine conditions or equipment, it's about swim room and dimensions. I'm sure if you had a 6ft 75g people would be more apt to say go for it. Also your tank your choice. I've done it, I have a tomini in a 65g but it'll be switched to my 260 once it's more established. Have 4 yeller tangs going into it as well lol. Do what you please. It'll live just won't thrive imo

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys but I’ve just read that yellow tangs are rare now? What’s the deal with that, curious even if I’m not going to get one
Supply and demand is my best guess. Also it’s very hard to find tangs in land locked states. Also, LFS’s usually have to rely on local breeders, which are also rare.

Buying online is always an option, but it will pull about $300+ out of your pocket.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a YT in my 75 and is thriving, eats well and is fat and happy. I also have 2 clowns, 2 three stripe damsels and they are bullies, the tang puts them in their place, I also have a Filefish, a Flame Hawk and 1 blue/green chromis. They all are thriving.

The YT I first got him 6 years ago at petco, he was battered fins and skinny. Had some words with management of the poor conditions and got him for about $20. I put him in my 46 gallon bowfront knowing I will be upgrading to a larger tank in the future. At the time I had the 2 clowns I still have, Flame Hawk and 2 three stripe damsels. He got well and grew, he is the king of the reef.

The first pic is the 46 just before upgrading to a 75, I wanted to go bigger but I had to quit my job of 20 years due to health reasons and did not want to go over budget at the time. Now I am retired and my SS is only a fraction of what my job pay was. Pic #2&3 of my 75 after upgrading.

If you don't have too many rocks and fish at this time you can get a small YT, I am sure he will most likely thrive if you take good care of him. If he gets unhappy rehome him to someone who has a larger tank. Mine rips up the nory I put in every 2 days. I need to get a close up shot of him, he is fat. He was my Petco fish, I did not quarantine or medicated him or any fish I get. Just acclimate to proper temp, salinity for a couple hours and just dropped him in. I understand if you have $$$ very expensive fish then it would be foolish to not quarantine. I have been doing fresh for over 40 years and reefing now for 7, never have my fish gotten sick. Maybe it's luck, maybe I have perfect water conditions for the fish to fight disease and parasites.

Well now I am at my max fish population I am comfortable with. YT, 2 clowns, 2 b/w damsels, Filefish, FlameHawk, 1 blue/green chromis. Sometimes when I look into my tank I don't see any fish, then they come out when they see I am going to feed them. they are all happy and get along well, most of the day they are out. Wish you well if you do get a YT.

Attachments

• 2020 2.jpg
    2020 2.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 2021-3-18 16-35-14~2[1253].jpg
    2021-3-18 16-35-14~2[1253].jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 2021-9-1 11-56-28[1645].jpg
    2021-9-1 11-56-28[1645].jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 2020-7-13 13-14-49~4[1087].jpg
    2020-7-13 13-14-49~4[1087].jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 75

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes its fine as long as it's the only tang. I used to have a YT in my red sea 250 (51g) for over a year before I moved him to my 150g. He always was thriving

phillybean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a 75 gallon is fine, I had one in a 90 and had no problems. IME Yellow Tangs aren't as active in swimming as others, I have a Purple, Naso and Yellow in my 220, the Yellow is easily the least active of the bunch.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Whoop whoop!" That's the sound of the...

tang-police.jpg
I have two dwarf angels in a 65g tank with coral, so I'm an even worse offender. Where are the angel police???

My angels get along for the most part. Mostly. But perhaps angelfish are than more bossy than piscicidal.

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 75 dimension is actually pretty big. Considering a 90 is only taller and 100 is just a bit more length and width (?)

As someone mentioned before, yes yellow tangs aren’t that active. I have a yellow tang too ;)

and angels

and more angels

pretty much overstocking my tank. I guess my point is, as long as there’s not much aggression and a decent swimming space, go for it!

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 75 dimension is actually pretty big. Considering a 90 is only taller and 100 is just a bit more length and width (?)

As someone mentioned before, yes yellow tangs aren’t that active. I have a yellow tang too ;)

and angels

and more angels

pretty much overstocking my tank. I guess my point is, as long as there’s not much aggression and a decent swimming space, go for it!
I'd much rather have a tank with multiple angels than tangs. They're just so full of personality.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two dwarf angels in a 65g tank with coral, so I'm an even worse offender. Where are the angel police???

My angels get along for the most part. Mostly. But perhaps angelfish are than more bossy than piscicidal.
The angel police couldn’t get proper funding. My 2 dwarfs each started out in a 25-gallon lagoon, and they’re reasonably happy in their new home (they’ve figured out nori visitation rights).

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think historically the problem with this hobby is that clueless people put juvenile fish in tanks they will outgrow but then manage to kill them off long before it becomes a problem...

Back