Threaded vs Slip Fittings for Plumbing a tank

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slip fittings are also easier to align for their “sealed” position. With threaded fittings you can tighten it nice and leak test and find there’s a leak in it now what? (I actually just had this problem on my tank since I could only find barb x theaded fittings locally to go from hose to pvc. But luckily I had a union above so I could take it apart adjust that one section and put it back together oriented correctly)

Also threaded fittings are nothing like unions. Once all your plumbing is attached unless the threaded part is at one of the ends you are not unscrewing it loose. Unless your plumbing is a straight line and doesn’t go around anything. Union fittings you can unscrew very easily at any point in the plumbing.

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slip fittings are also easier to align for their “sealed” position. With threaded fittings you can tighten it nice and leak test and find there’s a leak in it now what? (I actually just had this problem on my tank since I could only find barb x theaded fittings locally to go from hose to pvc. But luckily I had a union above so I could take it apart adjust that one section and put it back together oriented correctly)

Also threaded fittings are nothing like unions. Once all your plumbing is attached unless the threaded part is at one of the ends you are not unscrewing it loose. Unless your plumbing is a straight line and doesn’t go around anything. Union fittings you can unscrew very easily at any point in the plumbing.
Unions are good for what you describe, but remember they are mechanical fittings also, and again, everything mechanical will eventually fail. That's why one should plan a plumbing system that minimizes the use of anything mechanical, yet still be able to service your system.

I'll give an example, putting unions on your bean animal overflow, above the bottom of the tank floor is a great idea, so if you have to pull the tank off the stand, you can set it directly on the floor, without destroying the plumbing or overflow. However, when the union does fail, and it will, you won't be able to tighten it back up, if your tank is against the wall, because you won't be able to get a wrench back there.

My theory then is, forgo the union when you build your system, but plan ahead and leave a clear piece of pipe long enough that when/if you ever have to make a change, you have room to cut the pipe and install a union or coupling to repair what you've had to cut.

iambenfields

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like most of your question has been covered but I wanted to add that a section of vinyl braided hose around your return line can help a lot if you’re concerned about the constant hum of a return pump.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't over-tighten joints by giving them "one more turn to be sure."Do finger tighten plus one or two turns - No More.
I love this, what's a turn? 360 degrees, half a degree, 90? Lol useless.
I love the debate, a lot of personal preference enters into play here, none of this is high pressure so it's pretty lenient. In the end do what you want, you'll be fine. There are merits to both and cons as well.

Fish man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the debate, a lot of personal preference enters into play here, none of this is high pressure so it's pretty lenient. In the end do what you want, you'll be fine. There are merits to both and cons as well.
Plus 1

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pretty simple if you use a little common sense.... One full turn on a threaded fitting would be a complete 360°, 3/4 turn 270°, 1/2 turn 180°, 1/4 turn 90° and so on. :rolleyes:

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally use both glued and threaded plumbing. I use custom threaded pipes often on more complex plumbing in tight situations. There are times when a threaded pipe or fitting is a better choice then a union. For instance a union will not fit through a small hole in a stand that a threaded pipe will. I always use Teflon past and never use Teflon tape. If you use tape you are almost guarranted to have a leak. With the past you have some flexibility in positioning angle fittings as well.

Back