Threadfin Cardinalfish questions

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First question is it ok to use ionic copper on them in QT?

Second question I here they do best in groups so I ordered 7. Will using two ten gallon QT be ok or should I setup a 55 gallon QT just to keep them all together? I have QT’d several fish now with good results and I would rather use two ten gallon tanks but I do have an empty 55 if it would be better to keep them all together.

Kyle T.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the copper so I’ll have someone that does answer that.

As far as using two separate QTs vs one larger I would say that either method will be fine so long as they are all added to the display at the same time. As long as you are able to keep up with parameters in the smaller tanks with 3-4 fish you’ll be fine.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the copper so I’ll have someone that does answer that.

As far as using two separate QTs vs one larger I would say that either method will be fine so long as they are all added to the display at the same time. As long as you are able to keep up with parameters in the smaller tanks with 3-4 fish you’ll be fine.
Yeah I have been planning this for a while and I have some sponges in my refugium for two weeks now. The 55 gallon I have is kind of hard to see because it’s in the closet under my RODI filters. Thanks for your input I will add them all at the same time to DT if they make it two weeks with copper.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are fine with copper and pretty hardy once established. I’d order 10 if you want 7 though. They don’t ship well. Mine still started picking each other off eventually though like most cardinals seem to. Took about 18 months then I suddenly started finding one shredded every few days until I was eventually down to one. Started with 12. This was in a 210g tank

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are fine with copper and pretty hardy once established. I’d order 10 if you want 7 though. They don’t ship well. Mine still started picking each other off eventually though like most cardinals seem to. Took about 18 months then I suddenly started finding one shredded every few days until I was eventually down to one. Started with 12. This was in a 210g tank
I would be fine if 5 make it. I thought they did good in groups?

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be fine if 5 make it. I thought they did good in groups?

They do for a while. Doesn’t last forever though. I used to think they did well in groups too. Then I suddenly learned otherwise. The only cardinal I know of that doesn’t end up getting aggressive with each other eventually are the red spots but they seem to be nearly impossible to keep alive longterm.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope I have good luck. Just picked up 8 from LFS without letting them open the shipping bags.
D9ABC37B-9363-40BF-B8AD-1E1939AB463B.jpeg
6BB025E6-3A6A-44AE-9806-3F6C3BC18C43.jpeg

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jon, any update on how your cardinals are doing group-wise?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back