Three tangs of different species in 125G?

Fresh2Salt95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a flame fin tomini tang right now which is very peaceful and non-aggressive to my fish. He's been in there several months.

I have a powder brown tang and a purple tang on the way.

Do you think these will get along with each other? The tank is a 125 gallon, six feet long by 18 inches wide, with lots of rock.

I've read that each of them can be housed in a 125 gallon and to keep tangs of different genus', which these all are.

Last edited:

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was considering adding a powder brown or lavender tang with my Tomini for now and then either a Kole or Mimic Tang in my 125.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a flame fin tomini tang right now which is very peaceful and non-aggressive to my fish. He's been in there several months.

Do you think these will get along with each other? The tank is a 125 gallon, six feet long by 18 inches wide, with lots of rock.

I've read that each of them can be housed in a 125 gallon and to keep tangs of different genus', which these all are.
With only 18” to turn in, I wouldn’t do it. If it was 6’x2’ then I would say do it but 18” with 2 fish that get about 8-9 inches max size they’ll have so little room to turn in.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

I love tangs and have many different ones in each of my two reefs. In my 110 gallon Red Sea XL525 I have a powder blue, a chocolate mimic, a lavender, and a lieutenant tang. All are really small at this time, so some may have to be rehomed into another tank in the future. All were added at the same time also had a powder brown, but think the powder blue took him out (was planning for them to go in two separate tanks, but they came in so small I didn’t want to put one of them in my larger reef. Been together almost a month.
In my Red Sea S1000 I have regal blue, Sailfin, Desjardini, Tomini, scopes. Some of them have been together almost a year. When I set up the s1000 in February I moved them from the 525 and added the regal,and desjardini. Worried about the Sailfin and desjardini but after a little pecking order dispute for a couple days they hang together like buds.
I have a purple in a smaller tank that will get added to the 1000 sometime next month. He is the most aggressive tang and hoping by adding him later he will be less likely to cause a problem.
I have had great luck keeping tangs together just need lots of hiding spaces and introduce either together, in order from least to most aggressive, or significantly rearrange the rock work when adding a new one.

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With only 18” to turn in, I wouldn’t do it. If it was 6’x2’ then I would say do it but 18” with 2 fish that get about 8-9 inches max size they’ll have so little room to turn in.
Don’t forget vertical room. They don’t live in a two dimensional world.

Jetson

DJMCB35

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Blonde Naso, a Yellow, and a Sailfin in my Reefer 525xl. Also a Foxface. The Sailfin is by far the largest but has only been in the tank for a couple of weeks. There’s been a little drama but everyone seems to be keeping their cool.

Attachments

• 8F9D6FD8-740F-4637-82FB-503838B2FA1D.jpeg
    8F9D6FD8-740F-4637-82FB-503838B2FA1D.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 46D3D48B-F99C-47F4-BB47-1598E6D44CF2.jpeg
    46D3D48B-F99C-47F4-BB47-1598E6D44CF2.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 44

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back