Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I have the following stock list for my 65:

2 adult Ocellaris clowns
Adult Bangaii
Blue star leopard wrasse (female)
Yellow Assessor
Lyretail anthias (Small, captive-bred, female)
Longnose Hawkfish
Tiny Biota Mandarin
Lawnmower Blenny
Small Orangespotted shrimp goby

After months of going back and forth I planned to add a flasher wrasse on the smaller side (probably diamond tail if I can get one) as a bit of a centerpiece fish. Previously I had wanted a Labouti wrasse, but I was told they don't tend to look all that great under a more blue light spectrum so I started looking at there options.

Well today at the LFS they had a Labouti Wrasse in and it's gorgeous. Colors look great (albeit in white light), super active, and taking very well to QT. All great signs, and at a bargain price too compared to what I have seen healthy specimens going for. But I'm still really excited about the flasher. So I'm at a crossroads.

My mind immediately went to "can I keep both," (thinking maybe I remove the anthias when the flasher comes around) but my instinct was the answer would probably be no. The Labouti isn't a massive wrasse but is no small fish either, and though it's generally rated as around the 70 gallon mark for minimum tank size (give or take), it's still large for sure. I don't believe I would see any aggression issues based on that wrasse compatibility chart that I've seen floating around, but a leopard, fairy, and flasher wrasse all in a tank that I'd say is on the higher end of stocking makes me not so sure if it would be a good idea. As much as I do really want to take it.

So, thoughts? Thanks in advance

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably at your limit with this one. You need sufficient rock scape to allow for fish blind spots and dark time. I have 5 wrasses in my 65g DT with no aggression problems. Rohmboid wrasse, yellow coris, pintail fairy, 6 line and blue streak cleaner. Also make sure you have adequate filtration running.

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But you're saying still probably best not to keep both given the rest of the fish population then? Even without swapping the anthias out? Ultimately I care about making sure any fish added is done so responsibly, so if it means that's not the right choice, then so be it!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultimately I care about making sure any fish added is done so responsibly, so if it means that's not the right choice, then so be it!
You asked a few of us about the diamond tail and we advised you that for its safety it’s not recommended for your tank, but sadly you seem to have disregarded that advice.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions of your tank? I really think the clowns will eventually turn into hard aggressors in a crowded environment

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You asked a few of us about the diamond tail and we advised you that for its safety it’s not recommended for your tank, but sadly you seem to have disregarded that advice.
Is diamond tail the same as a pintail fairy wrasse?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is diamond tail the same as a pintail fairy wrasse?
Diamond tail is a flasher wrasse it’s one of the larger species attaining 6”. This person’s tank is only 3’ the larger flasher wrasses are more prone to spinal injury in shorter tanks which is why we didn’t recommend it.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond tail is a flasher wrasse it’s one of the larger species attaining 6”. This person’s tank is only 3’ the larger flasher wrasses are more prone to spinal injury in shorter tanks which is why we didn’t recommend it.
Got it, yes I agree. A pintail fairy might work for him or a yellow coris. I have both and they are only 4 inches and peaceful. The yellow coris is striking color but also very useful in the tank.

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! Are you sure it was the Diamond Tail we were discussing? I originally reached out to several people on here who had successfully kept Madagascar Flashers to see what their experiences were, and I quickly realized that that species of fish is far too big for my tank (I believe one was you, the advice was much appreciated for both me and the fish!)

After I moved on and landed on the Diamond Tail, I did reach out to one person about that fish, but he never replied. The only other time I had posted about Diamond Tails as I recall was in the Wrasse Lovers thread trying to understand how to help them color up. I'd mentioned my tank size there too but no one mentioned any concern and I even had a member reach out to recommend wholesalers, and we ended up having a really interesting conversation about their wrasse-based system. I've spoken to several trusted dealer friends about the species as well as a few local hobbyists and all of them felt that my tank size was sufficient, so as far as I understand it seemed like a good fit and that I had done my due dilligence. I believe we spoke about the Madagascar Flasher having looked back through my messages, not the Diamond Tail, if I'm not mistaken?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With already having 10 fish in a medium size tank adding a 6 inch wrasse isn't going to end well. What about a smaller peaceful yellow coris? This is probably my favorite fish in my tank. He hunts pests all day and beautiful color?

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions of your tank? I really think the clowns will eventually turn into hard aggressors in a crowded environment
The clowns have honestly been model citizens, despite being some of the first fish in. The previous owner claimed they are something like 22 years old, which blows my mind, but even with eggs they don't mind any of the other inhabitants. My hand, though, is a different story haha

With already having 10 fish in a medium size tank adding a 6 inch wrasse isn't going to end well. What about a smaller peaceful yellow coris? This is probably my favorite fish in my tank. He hunts pests all day and beautiful color?
I want to say they're on the smaller side of flasher/fairy wrasses and don't get quite that large (Live Aquaria has them down for a 55, for example https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/6253/?pcatid=6253) but regardless my pan had been to hopefully get a small female. There was a post from quite awhile back documenting the progression of some really tiny ones into adult males and it was so fascinating to watch the progression on that thread.

I have thought about a yellow Coris but ultimately haven't been sure just because I already have another all-yellow fish in the assessor, but they really do pop in fairness! Wasn't sure how that genus would do with the leopard, though

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rohmboid is 5 inches and the biggest fish in the tank. He is peaceful but would probably be a little happier in a 4 foot. You can always try and add a fish but just have a contingency plan available if the fish appears stressed and not happy. I tried adding a yellow watchman goby and the reef neighborhood just would not let him in. I could see he was stressed and had to return him to my LFS

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely, I had that situation earlier on with a chromis- literally no one liked the poor little guy lol, even the assessor that otherwise wouldn't hurt a fly. In that case I had to take him back to the LFS but with something like this you're right, a contingency plan is definitely important in the event that the fish ends up showing signs of stress. Like I said, ultimately I want any fish I have the privilege of owning to be happy with its environment, I was just under the impression from all available sources that this would be an appropriate setting for this particular fish. Though I do think my gut was right that both wrasses certainly would not be a great idea, so I think I'll drop that fantasy for now :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! Are you sure it was the Diamond Tail we were discussing? I originally reached out to several people on here who had successfully kept Madagascar Flashers to see what their experiences were, and I quickly realized that that species of fish is far too big for my tank (I believe one was you, the advice was much appreciated for both me and the fish!)

After I moved on and landed on the Diamond Tail, I did reach out to one person about that fish, but he never replied. The only other time I had posted about Diamond Tails as I recall was in the Wrasse Lovers thread trying to understand how to help them color up. I'd mentioned my tank size there too but no one mentioned any concern and I even had a member reach out to recommend wholesalers, and we ended up having a really interesting conversation about their wrasse-based system. I've spoken to several trusted dealer friends about the species as well as a few local hobbyists and all of them felt that my tank size was sufficient, so as far as I understand it seemed like a good fit and that I had done my due dilligence. I believe we spoke about the Madagascar Flasher having looked back through my messages, not the Diamond Tail, if I'm not mistaken?
Yes, you did ask me about the Madagascar but I did tell you that I do not recommend any flasher wrasse for a 3’ tank due to the propensity for spinal injury. I think it’s great that you’re doing your due diligence, but sometimes people are going to tell you want they think you want to hear to make a sale and not every hobbyist giving you advice has actually kept these species.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another really cool fish I have in mine is a yellow and black striped fangtooth blenny. They are small but extremely active and stay primarily near the water surface. Very peaceful also.

Attachments

• 20220124_164142.jpg
    20220124_164142.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 63

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got your back and agree. Couldn’t say it nicer

I have Hemi in a 220 6’ long 30 talll. It s boarder line small for him. Mostly in height. No real info on the fish and if you watch behavior it’s easy to see flashers need room. Diamondtail are bigger flasher and shouldn’t be put in a smaller tank. Min 4’ tank and should be a taller tank. A 65 is just wrong. We talked about this but your still looking for an answer You want to hear. So do what you want or take advice people that know give already

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me make a suggestion of just your title of thread. Three wrasse aren’t a problem in your tank but your choices aren’t the way to go for the fish. Stay small flashers like yellowfin, Mccosker or carpenters. Pick a fairy that is suited for tank size. We can help if needed

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another really cool fish I have in mine is a yellow and black striped fangtooth blenny. They are small but extremely active and stay primarily near the water surface. Very peaceful also.
Excellent recommendation! Very personable, active and peaceful.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back