OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got your back and agree. Couldn’t say it nicer

I have Hemi in a 220 6’ long 30 talll. It s boarder line small for him. Mostly in height. No real info on the fish and if you watch behavior it’s easy to see flashers need room. Diamondtail are bigger flasher and shouldn’t be put in a smaller tank. Min 4’ tank and should be a taller tank. A 65 is just wrong. We talked about this but your still looking for an answer You want to hear. So do what you want or take advice people that know give already
I honestly am not just trying to look for the answer I want to hear, if I did I would have just gotten the Madagascar Flasher Wrasse and called it a day. I do recall you mentioning the 4 foot tank minimum, and I absolutely respect that. My thought had been a very small specimen would be fine in a slightly smaller tank to watch as she grew into it. The grow out thread I read was very inspiring. Ultimately I will probably have to break down the tank in a year and change due to a likely move, so I thought it was reasonable arrangement until I had to move her on. Our conversation plus that other thread spurred that decision, and I appreciate you sharing your experience!

I really don't mean the fish any harm or any disrespect to anyone. So I'll ask you all, is it reasonable to keep a small juvenile for my potential timeframe? If not, I'll move along and find a new option. Because you make a good point- even though the recommendations say one thing, it's not a common fish, so leaning on direct experience is probably more accurate.

And again, don't mean to be at all rude, dismissive, anything like that. I really do appreciate the wisdom from everyone, whether it's positive news or not, and am more than happy to move on to a different fish if that is best :)

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly am not just trying to look for the answer I want to hear, if I did I would have just gotten the Madagascar Flasher Wrasse and called it a day. I do recall you mentioning the 4 foot tank minimum, and I absolutely respect that. My thought had been a very small specimen would be fine in a slightly smaller tank to watch as she grew into it. The grow out thread I read was very inspiring. Ultimately I will probably have to break down the tank in a year and change due to a likely move, so I thought it was reasonable to that this arrangement would be reasonable until I had to move her on. Our conversation plus that other thread spurred that decision, and I appreciate you sharing your experience!

I really don't mean the fish any harm or any disrespect to anyone. So I'll ask you all, is it reasonable to keep a small juvenile for my potential timeframe? If not, I'll move along and find a new option. Because you make a good point- even though the recommendations say one thing, it's not a common fish, so leaning on direct experience is probably more accurate.

And again, don't mean to be at all rude, dismissive, anything like that. I really do appreciate the wisdom from everyone, whether it's positive news or not, and am more than happy to move on to a different fish if that is best :)
I know you mean the beast for the fish but also come off looking for the answer you want. We all do it trying to figure things out.
If you know an upgrade is in near future and find a young small Diamondtail I can’t say not to go for it. I have done the same. All I can say is it’s not a good life for it in your tank. I would love to see you with a Diamondtail as it’s the best bang for buck flasher. Also great choice saying no to a Hemi. Knowing what I do now I wouldn’t keep one. They really need a lot of height and length to feel at home once full grown. Whatever you decide we want pictures!

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny we are talking about wrasses and I can tell mine just hit the sandbed under the rocks because there is a cloud of dust in the tank right now. Soon as the lights start dimming they hit the sand.
Cloud of dust? Sounds like you need more sand sleepers lol

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cloud of dust? Sounds like you need more sand sleepers lol
Funny how the next morning when they get up they have dust all over their scales but it cleans off during the day.

I can't see them do it but the coris must hit the sand with some momentum because I can hear it when he buries himself at night.

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you mean the beast for the fish but also come off looking for the answer you want. We all do it trying to figure things out.
If you know an upgrade is in near future and find a young small Diamondtail I can’t say not to go for it. I have done the same. All I can say is it’s not a good life for it in your tank. I would love to see you with a Diamondtail as it’s the best bang for buck flasher. Also great choice saying no to a Hemi. Knowing what I do now I wouldn’t keep one. They really need a lot of height and length to feel at home once full grown. Whatever you decide we want pictures!
Realistically if anything I'd be downgrading sadly! MBA student (so I hope at least) budgets and big beautiful reefs don't tend to line up well haha. But we'll see! In the meantime, though, I live in quite the ~cozy~ apartment so realistically this is probably as large as I can go for the foreseeable future. In which case, it sounds like it's time to move on.

As far as other options, before I opted for the Diamond Tail I had a whole list going of other wrasses I liked. Was thinking maybe a Babi? I saw a stunning one for sale a few weeks back- beautiful pink on that one. Also was considering a Rose Veiled Fairy (though there seems to be a lot of variation with these?), a pinstriped fairy, some others. I love Naoko's Fairy Wrasse but wasn't sure about tank size again

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny how the next morning when they get up they have dust all over their scales but it cleans off during the day.

I can't see them do it but the coris must hit the sand with some momentum because I can hear it when he buries himself at night.
My wrasses are fat so they have to wiggle their way into the sand, it’s not fast or graceful lol

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realistically if anything I'd be downgrading sadly! MBA student (so I hope at least) budgets and big beautiful reefs don't tend to line up well haha. But we'll see! In the meantime, though, I live in quite the ~cozy~ apartment so realistically this is probably as large as I can go for the foreseeable future. In which case, it sounds like it's time to move on.

As far as other options, before I opted for the Diamond Tail I had a whole list going of other wrasses I liked. Was thinking maybe a Babi? I saw a stunning one for sale a few weeks back- beautiful pink on that one. Also was considering a Rose Veiled Fairy (though there seems to be a lot of variation with these?), a pinstriped fairy, some others. I love Naoko's Fairy Wrasse but wasn't sure about tank size again
Naoko is a good choice for your tank.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wrasse can be confusing. Babi may be a big one for your tank. Just got one and it’s seems to be aggressive. Salty may know more. As of now I’m trying to see aggression and what size it will turn to be. Hobby is tough as we want so many fish but some shouldn’t be in our tanks. I learned the hard way before finding people to help guide me.
my oink.
65AD664E-9546-4F84-A60F-7C37E49FA5D0.jpeg

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I had read somewhere that they can be a little bossy with tanks my size, is that not the case? Any red flags with the others?

And that Babi is beautiful @Crabby48 ! Something about that pink, what a fish. Interesting to hear it's been a little bossy though, only with other wrasses or just generally?

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I had read somewhere that they can be a little bossy with tanks my size, is that not the case? Any red flags with the others?

And that Babi is beautiful @Crabby48 ! Something about that pink, what a fish. Interesting to hear it's been a little bossy though, only with other wrasses or just generally?
Babi been in a 40b adjusting and getting qt’ed. that said it is with a really big jerk flame and a China wrasse. Flame has two strikes for beating up wrasse. Babi in two day put flame in its place for the first time. Can’t say how they are with other fish as it hasn’t been with other fish. Plan is to move it tomorrow to my display. I am thinking it gets bigger like an earmuff maybe a bit smaller. Fish has little documentation and some of it I’m not sure I agree with yet

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please keep us updated about how it all goes! Such a pretty fish.

I definitely love the Naoko, it's little divebombing behavior is so unique from the videos I've seen online. Whether fairy, flasher, or other, any recommendations? Mostly just looking for something that is distinct enough from the current stock list, and ideally not orange (sorry, Choati!) because I've got 3 and a half orange fish at this point and we could use some color balance...

The dream would be a flame wrasse but sadly those aren't options anymore. Maybe one day! Each time I think I've seen every wrasse out there a new species comes around that blows my mind, so I'm sure there will be something that pops out

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny we are talking about wrasses and I can tell mine just hit the sandbed under the rocks because there is a cloud of dust in the tank right now. Soon as the lights start dimming they hit the sand.
I wish I could tell that with my guys. My larger two sand sleepers have a weird thing where they just dig around in the sand making “sandstorms” hunting for food. My smallest sandsleeper (Blue Star Leopard) just vanishes randomly though, absolutely no sign she goes into the sandbed but she definitely has the option with a 2” sandbed.

3 Recommendations (I think I have actually recommended these to you before but i don’t really know).

Cirrhilabrus naokoae - Resides in the Rubriventralis Complex so they can be rather boisterous however I have had 2 and neither have shown what everyone says they usually behave like. Colours are a beautiful yellow stripe separating the White and Red stripes, when they flash their fins go to this deep black with red and blue borders and their caudal fin will have this electric blue shine to it (Stunning in person, I wish I got a photo of my first one flashing).
9556634E-7B18-428B-B2B2-D6FE82C6A614.jpeg

image.jpg

Cirrhilabrus lubbocki - Resides in the Lubbocki Complex so they can be slightly boisterous but this is normally only do to others in that complex. Colours change between the two variants, the lubbocki from Cebu is mainly pink, with a deep blue or purple line, sometimes this line can be complete sometimes it’s got gaps. As the Cebu Lubbock matures, they gain more of a blue belly and under the right lighting (Usually seen under sun light) they have a more red body. The lubbocki from Indonesia has a deep Blue or sometimes purple body, yellow head, pale blue belly, and a pink-ish tail. When this variant flashes the tail will become a bold red and they gain thick red lines on their body with the blue becoming much more of an electric blue.
The Lubbocki from Cebu
10D9EFCE-D9A8-40F7-A2D6-6AEC5F3432CA.jpeg

The Indonesian Lubbocki flashing
7B297FEC-41FF-4666-98A7-0E1EAC7D8EA5.jpeg

And the two variants behind my jade wrasse
A1E5C02A-3807-4C6A-8135-91E81C132E27.jpeg

Halichoeres iridis - Halichoeres don’t have complexes unlike the genus Cirrhilabrus so with Halichoeres, mixing them together is just from luck. The iridis is probably the first Halichoeres wrasse many come across in the LFS due to its beautiful colouration. It has a white dorsal fin, and a thin red stripe down its back with a black main body colour. Usually females will have 3 black dots on their dorsal fin but as mine is a transitional male, he doesn’t seem to have them. Males gain these bright green and red lines along their face, just below the eyes which seems to be a common characteristic between most Halichoeres males. The bottom photo is from today, the top is from March 27th 22
6CFD51BE-F57E-47DF-B0BE-56E44E96A791.jpeg

image.jpg

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they make some type of slip on? I'm concerned evil kenevel will venture down my return pipe
maybe at home depot, like a sewer drain grate or floor shower drain grate...the square hole in the grate are like 1/4x1/4 holes should not slow your flow

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All beautiful fish! Everyone here always has such great recommendations. The radiant wrasse was definitely one I was considering.

Does anyone have experience with a pintail fairy or a rose veiled fairy (I believe this has recently been divided into two species but don't quote me on that)? They were a few others I'd been taking a look at, especially a Babi, but I suppose that remains to be seen if that would be a good option?

@i cant think , does your Naoko's do that divebombing behavior? Any aggression issues? I did a lot of research again on it last night and it seems like a 50/50 chance of getting a model citizen as opposed to one that can have a bit more edge to it

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All beautiful fish! Everyone here always has such great recommendations. The radiant wrasse was definitely one I was considering.

Does anyone have experience with a pintail fairy or a rose veiled fairy (I believe this has recently been divided into two species but don't quote me on that)? They were a few others I'd been taking a look at, especially a Babi, but I suppose that remains to be seen if that would be a good option?

@i cant think , does your Naoko's do that divebombing behavior? Any aggression issues? I did a lot of research again on it last night and it seems like a 50/50 chance of getting a model citizen as opposed to one that can have a bit more edge to it
My first one did display the dive bombing behaviour, loved doing it to my foxface. My current one doesn’t fully display it but has flashed and done it. For the full experience they do need 3’ or 4’ tanks to have that behaviour. The naokoae was my first ever attempt at a Cirrhilabrus wrasse and will forever share a place in my heart because of that. Couldn’t imagine a wrasse gang without one.
As for aggression, in total I’ve cared for 5-6 of them (Working in an LFS has its pros) and I think only one of them was ever aggressive and even then, it was more towards similar species (Will be interesting to watch how my current one and my radiant play when the leopard is large enough to go in - With my Jade I don’t think I’d want to add in less than two wrasses at once unless it was straight in after 30 minute acclimation with no interest from him). I’ve had this naoko since I think May/April last year - May need to check on that though - and he’s been a model citizen and was with a Pink Streak Wrasse and is still with a Blue Star Leopard Wrasse, shown absolutely no aggression so I used a mirror to try get flashing photos a few months back and didn’t manage it. They stay a decent size, around 3.5 inches - Mine currently is around 2 inches and I got him as a Newley transitioned (I think he was actually still transitioning) male at 0.5-1 inch.

As for the rose veiled fairy wrasse, the variation between specimen was because Cirrhilabrus fifienmaa used to go under the same scientific name, the difference between the two species is the more yellow dorsal fin on Fifienmaa (@SaltyT or @Crabby48 may need to correct me on this though). As for aggression, they seem to remain relatively peaceful and not overly aggressive to other species.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back