Throwing in the Towel, going to use Reef Flux.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Bryopsis was Manageable, but took over when I was sick, not able to take care of tank. I have Mermaids Fan, and Halimedia in this Aquarium, will the Reef Flux kill that too? Any tips will be appreciated.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef flux will affect macro algaes yes. It will do the job, just be careful of your nutrient levels, dinos will usually follow a successful flux usage.

xCry0x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 I had dinos following flux. The dinos killed almost all of my snails before I realized what was going on and started running carbon.

I expected a nutrient spike following flux and preemptively ran GFO. Instead I had nutrients bottom out.

I don't blame flucanazol for that, just was the first time I used it and wasn't looking out for the right things.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love reef-flux. Got rid of Bryopsis, GHA for me but like others mentioned, make sure to monitor nutrients and react accordingly. I too was expecting a nutrient spike from all the algae dying and releasing nutrients back to the tank. I did do a big water change to compensate for that. But I also fed aggressively for a week to make sure nutrients didn't bottom out. Monitor and react. I also took my chaeto and red macroalgae out into a bucket with an airstone and some cheap led light for 2 weeks. You can even use a desk lamp if you dont have spare led lights.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along as I have a tank getting over run with GHA but on BRS the description states Screenshot_20221025-120511_Chrome.jpg
:thinking-face:

Last edited:

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Bryopsis was Manageable, but took over when I was sick, not able to take care of tank. I have Mermaids Fan, and Halimedia in this Aquarium, will the Reef Flux kill that too? Any tips will be appreciated.
Well I would love some of your bryopsis if you are willing to throw it in a bag and ship it before you nuke it. :).

wtdenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got done with flux myself. Worked extremely well and am very pleased with results. I had no losses.

My recommendation is to test alk/po4/no3 daily during treatment. The treatment could have impact on alk consumption and also nutrients. Personally my alk consumption remained the same. My po4 stayed consistent but my no3 dropped slightly faster than usual. I kept it stable with NeoNitro.

My results:

Positive:
-Killed 100% of the bryopsis (really noticed a difference after day 4)
-Slowed the spread of ulva down to a crawl
-Finished off the small patch of dinos I had left on the sand bed (these were receding prior to treatment but almost disappeared over night)

Negative:
-cleared the way for some cyano to take hold in low flow area that wasn't there prior.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before using chemicals try a Lettuce Nudibranch (might also be called Lettuce Sea Slug). I just got one of these for my 5g tank and this wee nudi is powering through all the algae. I think he might also be eating the cyano if that's what the red film is in my tank. I read they also eat bryopsis. I just did a post about them. I've only had him a week but my tank has pretty much been stripped of all algae to the point I have to try and find a food supplement.

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before using chemicals try a Lettuce Nudibranch (might also be called Lettuce Sea Slug). I just got one of these for my 5g tank and this wee nudi is powering through all the algae. I think he might also be eating the cyano if that's what the red film is in my tank. I read they also eat bryopsis. I just did a post about them. I've only had him a week but my tank has pretty much been stripped of all algae to the point I have to try and find a food supplement.

Do they eat GJA? If so I’m gonna find one! Have had bad luck with chemicals

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not usually, i have tried sea hare, nudis, and other herbivores. Once the gha has established and is long fluc is about your only sure bet.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have had everything in my tank as far as algae goes. I had GHA but I think it has been subsiding on its own but it's hard for me to tell because I've had to scrub my rock twice a week otherwise it was a horrible eyesore. It's possible I still have some GHA however my main problems at the moment have been turf algae and possibly cyano. If you've had no luck with chemicals I would say you have nothing to lose getting one of these guys. They don't seem to be picky about what algae they eat. At first I thought it was my imagination thinking my rock and sandbed was looking cleaner but today, seeing that rock stripped almost clean and also my sandbed, I know it's the nudi because I don't have any other CUC in the tank and there is no way my tank would have fully stabilized in one week. I haven't touched my tank since getting him and I don't feel I have to.

Depending on the size of your tank you might need more than one but I wouldn't get too many. If they do as good a job on yours as they have on my tank they will starve so buy fewer and let them get fat. Good luck! Please post if they work for you or not.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lettuce nudis dont really prey on bryopsis, it doesnt have any predators in our tanks. Flux will get rid of it, just watch your params and dont let them bottom out. Cyano is expected after the bryopsis dies, as something will always take the algaes place. Cyano is always preferable to dinos.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lettuce nudis dont really prey on bryopsis, it doesnt have any predators in our tanks. Flux will get rid of it, just watch your params and dont let them bottom out. Cyano is expected after the bryopsis dies, as something will always take the algaes place. Cyano is always preferable to dinos.
What I read is that they don't eat the bryopsis directly but they suck the chlorophyll out of them which causes the bryopsis to die. Having said that maybe the article is wrong. I will try to find the article again. I do know for sure this guy is consuming the turf algae and possibly cyano. I think he's also cleaning my coral that started getting turf algae.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I read is that they don't eat the bryopsis directly but they suck the chlorophyll out of them which causes the bryopsis to die. Having said that maybe the article is wrong. I will try to find the article again. I do know for sure this guy is consuming the turf algae and possibly cyano. I think he's also cleaning my coral that started getting turf algae.
That may very well be the case! I know they will consume GHA, Turf, and bubble algae, never seen or heard of them eating bryopsis, but I do know they will pass up bryopsis for desired macro algae of course...

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may very well be the case! I know they will consume GHA, Turf, and bubble algae, never seen or heard of them eating bryopsis, but I do know they will pass up bryopsis for desired macro algae of course...
For sure, why eat bryopsis when there's something better in the tank. LOL. As mentioned I think their taste for bryopsis was more about sucking the chlorophyll out of it. Having said that I don't have bryopsis so can't confirm that. :) It would be an interesting test for someone to try.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure, why eat bryopsis when there's something better in the tank. LOL. As mentioned I think their taste for bryopsis was more about sucking the chlorophyll out of it. Having said that I don't have bryopsis so can't confirm that. :) It would be an interesting test for someone to try.
I agree. I dont have it either or it would be a really cool test to do, especially since lettuce nudis are cheap LOL.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I dont have it either or it would be a really cool test to do, especially since lettuce nudis are cheap LOL.
Exactly!! Super inexpensive. Makes me wish I had bryopsis to test (wait... Maybe not). LOL I love my nudi! :)

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly!! Super inexpensive. Makes me wish I had bryopsis to test (wait... Maybe not). LOL I love my nudi! :)
My nudi mowed down gha, until he died a happy death about 3 months later and was never seen or heard from again. I guess technically he is MIA.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back