Throwing in the Towel, going to use Reef Flux.

924er

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef flux will affect macro algaes yes. It will do the job, just be careful of your nutrient levels, dinos will usually follow a successful flux usage.
wouldnt cyano follow because of nutrient spike? I dont understand why dinos would appear if your nutrients will go up

OP
OP
S

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having someone else look at my Aquariums, I went with Vodka Dosing. I’m already seeing an improvement on my 120 and AIO Frag Tank. With the ugly new tank Brown diatoms? What’s really weird, the snails also suddenly decide to go on an eating spree. The 65 Gallon labs behind on dosing It and actually has hair algae growing over the Bryopsis. BTW I measured drops off of an oral medicine syringe and figured out one drop equals 0.05ml

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Bryopsis was Manageable, but took over when I was sick, not able to take care of tank. I have Mermaids Fan, and Halimedia in this Aquarium, will the Reef Flux kill that too? Any tips will be appreciated.

I used flucanozole (not reef flux, but human grade) in a tank with over 10 species of desirable macro. The halimeda not only wasn’t affected, growth skyrocketed (probably from more available nutrients). Nothing desireable was affected at all from a two week treatment. I couldn’t be happier with it.

I’ve never had diatom issues in the entire 20 years I’ve had reef tanks, but I always use 100% live rock so that’s probably why (something I highly recommend).

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before using chemicals try a Lettuce Nudibranch (might also be called Lettuce Sea Slug). I just got one of these for my 5g tank and this wee nudi is powering through all the algae. I think he might also be eating the cyano if that's what the red film is in my tank. I read they also eat bryopsis. I just did a post about them. I've only had him a week but my tank has pretty much been stripped of all algae to the point I have to try and find a food supplement.

Lettuce nudi’s will usually die quickly (MP40’s, overflows, etc) they’ll almost never survive long term. And bryopsis is an introduced species, it’s not present in a system due to nutrient elevation, and it also doesn’t (necessarily) have to be ‘replaced’ by something once eradicated, either.

I eliminated bryopsis from both of my reefs with flucanozole with no ill effects and nothing ‘replaced’ it. And because I use live rock, I’ve never had diatom/cyano issues that seem to plague the hobby (seeing as dry rock seems to be the rage right now, which would explain it).

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lettuce nudi’s will usually die quickly (MP40’s, overflows, etc) they’ll almost never survive long term. And bryopsis is an introduced species, it’s not present in a system due to nutrient elevation, and it also doesn’t (necessarily) have to be ‘replaced’ by something once eradicated, either.

I eliminated bryopsis from both of my reefs with flucanozole with no ill effects and nothing ‘replaced’ it. And because I use live rock, I’ve never had diatom/cyano issues that seem to plague the hobby (seeing as dry rock seems to be the rage right now, which would explain it).
Fortunately I have my powerheads covered with mesh and I don't have overflows to contend with (a 5g AIO). I actually found my guy crawling over one of my powerheads so I am super grateful I put the mesh on (which I had done because of my small gobies). I can definitely see these guys being lost to those things you mentioned. So far he's doing well and my tank is looking good. I have stopped scrubbing, etc of any algae I have just so he has something to go after. He looks kind of plump so hopefully he's getting enough nutrition. They are really cool creatures. I hope I have him for awhile.

OP
OP
S

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking for a Spotted Sea Hare, they are less likely to get into trouble, than the Lettuce Nudibranch. I refuse to pay over 40 dollars to get one shipped, with no guarantee. The Vodka dosing is working on my Oceanic 29 Gallon and new 120 Gallon. Too Early too tell on my 65 Gallon. Been Manually pulling Hair Algae out.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking for a Spotted Sea Hare, they are less likely to get into trouble, than the Lettuce Nudibranch. I refuse to pay over 40 dollars to get one shipped, with no guarantee. The Vodka dosing is working on my Oceanic 29 Gallon and new 120 Gallon. Too Early too tell on my 65 Gallon. Been Manually pulling Hair Algae out.
Oh yes, I've been reading about the vodka dosing. Keep us posted about that as a solution. I am fortunate that my tank doesn't have too many danger zones for my lettuce nudi and any spots that could be trouble I had already protected because of my small gobies so my powerheads are covered, etc.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back