tiger barb looks raw any idea ?

Liam j m 123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20201024_113741.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun...
looks to be scrape from rocks/etc..
any other signs of disease or such?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the fish's tail damaged also, hard to see. Tiger barbs are pretty feisty. I see two dark phase ones off to the left. How many do you have in the tank? If you don't have a group of 5+ of similar size, they tend to fight, both amongst themselves and with other fish.

Jay

OP
OP
Liam j m 123

Liam j m 123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies
There is no damage to fins and he has been under atack from the blue barbs lately hes currently living with 2 small blue barbs 2 medium gold barbs 1 angel fish 6 x-ray tetra silver and 1 orenge tetra along with 1 pink dwarf barb also + 1 plec i agree this must be from attack or the rocks wound looks better today

16038441463556166402717786039685.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is infected, now the fish almost looks bloated to me. Antibiotics would be a possible treatment, but not without side effects, they may harm your biofilter. Maracyn 2 would be a safe one to try.
Jay

Ksull72487

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is infected, now the fish almost looks bloated to me. Antibiotics would be a possible treatment, but not without side effects, they may harm your biofilter. Maracyn 2 would be a safe one to try.
Jay
Agree with Jay! I don’t keep freshwater. But I took care of them. You could also go Melafix. That would be the natural way. But he definitely is bloated. So you may need the Antibiotic. Luckily your freshwater. So you can do a lot of treatment. It’s up to you to QT. But I think your safe to just dose the tank. Use a bubbler and raise the heat 1-2 degrees if you have one. Remove the carbon.

OP
OP
Liam j m 123

Liam j m 123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top fish in the photo looks like a gourami to me - look up gold gourami.

What size is the tank? For a bacterial infection I wouldn't raise the temp - helps the bacteria spread faster.
The top fish in the photo looks like a gourami to me - look up gold gourami.

What size is the tank? For a bacterial infection I wouldn't raise the temp - helps the bacteria spread faster.

Thanks for the advise and yes the tiger is definitely blotting up.
You are correct the gold fish is a gourami thanks for the correction.
Also the blue barb (the atacker is nose down and not happy at the lowere of the tank .
I will try some tank dossing medication.
I hope this wont harm the other fish.
I don't have a nursing tank.
My tank is 180L

16039205066498387821473142351902.jpg

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck - hope your fish get better!

BTW, I recommend checking out theplantedtank.net - a user on there called discusluv is really knowledgeable about freshwater fish diseases and the best treatments and she could probably tell you which drug would be the best choice for this infection. (I hope it's okay to suggest a different forum on here!)

OP
OP
Liam j m 123

Liam j m 123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tiiger barb blew up like a balloon this morning and died . I am going to pic up the antibiotics as planed and treat the tank to prevent cross infection.

ps. (Mabey i should buy the fish some face masks to control the virus this will keep them safe. )

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When fish do that, it is either ascites or dropsy, neither is really treatable. Dropsy, the scales stick out like a pineapple and it is from kidney failure. In ascites, the scales lay flat, but the belly fills with fluid due to liver damage. Neither case is very contagious, so that's good....

Jay

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the water parameters? Did he pine cone? I’m so sorry you lost him. I want to advise that if you plan to treat with melafix please remove the gourami. The tea tree oil does such harm to their labyrinth organ and can be fatal. What size tank is this? Tiger barns are aggressive and I’d imagine so are the others with the similar body shape. If you don’t have enough of them to spread that aggression someone will be singled out and picked on. If the tank size permits you should get more of the same to even that out.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When fish do that, it is either ascites or dropsy, neither is really treatable. Dropsy, the scales stick out like a pineapple and it is from kidney failure. In ascites, the scales lay flat, but the belly fills with fluid due to liver damage. Neither case is very contagious, so that's good....

Jay
I know this is a salt forum, but your a fish expert and I have a fish question.

I've kept FW bettas for years. After a few years they always blow up like a balloon and die, Everytime this is how they die. Could it be dropsy and what causes it?

EDIT:
Sorry to the OP for hijacking his thread.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bettas are not a long-lived fish, and now days, the fancy ones seem even shorter lived. Same thing though - if they die with their scales sticking out on edge, it is dropsy and kidney disease. If they just swell up with fluid and the scales still lay flat, it is ascites, liver disease. In freshwater fish, the addition of epsom salts (I don't have the dose handy) to the water can help alleviate these symptoms. In some cases, the kidney disease is an infection and might be treatable with erythromycin, but I've not had much luck with that.

Jay

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that @Jay Hemdal!

I know they are short lived fish(recently have only been getting 2 years If I'm lucky), just curious why they always blew up like a balloon to only die a few days later.

And yes the scales stick out like a pinecone sometimes, so I would say it's dropsy, although some could have been ascites as the scales layed flat.

I will have to try some epsom salt(is FW aquarium salt the same thing?). I haven't kept FW fish in 30 years with the excpetion of bettas(My wife favorite fish).

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that @Jay Hemdal!

I know they are short lived fish(recently have only been getting 2 years If I'm lucky), just curious why they always blew up like a balloon to only die a few days later.

And yes the scales stick out like a pinecone sometimes, so I would say it's dropsy, although some could have been ascites as the scales layed flat.

I will have to try some epsom salt(is FW aquarium salt the same thing?). I haven't kept FW fish in 30 years with the excpetion of bettas(My wife favorite fish).
I believe it’s the same but regular Epsom salt is cheaper. Where are you buying the bettas from? The ones in pet shops are usually mass produced and they don’t cull their stock, so even those with health issues are sold and/ or bred.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All over.....

I have about 15 5G betta bowls stashed throughout my house. lol

If my wife sees a pretty betta, it usually comes home. And I never say no because after her 20$ betta, she doesn't complain about the couple hundred I just spent on coral/fish. lol

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try looking up the IBC (International Betta Congress) On Facebook and reaching out to a breeder. They are reputable breeders who also show their fish and will cull, guaranteeing the lines are healthy. Or just pick her out some pretty wilds to keep ;)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back