Tiger cowrie a Natural predator for Zanclea Hydroids

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In past I had 3 outbreaks of these hydroids, they just to hard to kill 3 times I’ve nuked the tank with febenzadole but somehow they always get back stronger. There isn’t any known predator available in the hobby right until now, only a few nudibranches eat them but not available for us.

I kinda stumbled to it as I had one tiger cowrie living in my sump for over two years, I always questioned myself to why the hydroids never spread to the refugium. Now I know this amazing cuc do eat hydroids I’ve learned it wend I’ve passed the cowrie from the sump to the DT. The cowrie got to work straight away and now am almost fully hydroid free. Just sharing this on here as many other reefers might struggle with the same. Definitely worth giving this guys a go before the chemical warfare.

Picture of the zanclea hydroids also attached

E02A5902-0ED7-4CB9-8398-EA7855378107.jpeg

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wished I had taken a before pic from this area of the tank, there was literally hundreds of zanclea hydroids a couple weeks ago, now just a hand full remain. Definitely recommended to try one of these animals before the chemical warfare option. I may add that so far my tiger haven’t touched any of my corals just the hydroids.

4ECA72EF-A530-46FE-A87D-0E2A0689096F.jpeg 09D912F0-A584-490F-9683-AEC28C1E0C5F.jpeg

Killer Reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be the answer to my problems:). I have a huge out break of these branching hydriods in my softie tank and i will try the tiger cowries before pulling my hair out.

Any update on if the tiger will munch on my zoas?

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be the answer to my problems:). I have a huge out break of these branching hydriods in my softie tank and i will try the tiger cowries before pulling my hair out.

mine hasn’t touched any coral yet,I have 3 zoa frags and they all still here, just keep a close eye on the tiger just in case, good luck:)

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had a tiger cowry in the past that ate zoas.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back