Tiger Goby

kingPumpkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a pair of tiger gobies. I thought I did the research and asked the salesperson enough questions that I felt confident but I am now doubting I have enough food for them or that my tank is not the best for them. Talking to the salesperson, I mentioned that I don't have a sump/refugium. Just a hang on the back filter. The guy said since my tank is over a year old, I should have plenty of bugs in the sand for them to eat.
I have had my gobies for over a week and they came out of hiding but don't sift any sand. They dug some holes but don't sift sand at all. I seem to only eat the frozen food I eat. They were bullied for a little but are more confident being out. Do I need to add copepods to the tank? Are they just not big sand sifters? Should I be worried at all?

Thanks

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a pair of tiger gobies. I thought I did the research and asked the salesperson enough questions that I felt confident but I am now doubting I have enough food for them or that my tank is not the best for them. Talking to the salesperson, I mentioned that I don't have a sump/refugium. Just a hang on the back filter. The guy said since my tank is over a year old, I should have plenty of bugs in the sand for them to eat.
I have had my gobies for over a week and they came out of hiding but don't sift any sand. They dug some holes but don't sift sand at all. I seem to only eat the frozen food I eat. They were bullied for a little but are more confident being out. Do I need to add copepods to the tank? Are they just not big sand sifters? Should I be worried at all?

Thanks
Morning!

One key thing I have learned from sand sifting gobies is that seeing them eat frozen in store is a really good move.. (or any fish you want to purchase at that) of course this isnt a deal breaker.

These fish primarily feed off of sifting the sand and also enjoy live/frozen food. If you are feeling they are not getting enough food you can supplement with addition of live food such as live brine shrimp and more copepods. I like using live brine to get fish onto frozen because frozen brine is readily available.

How long have you had them now, and did you say they are eating frozen or not? Hope we can figure this out and get this couple fat and happy! Cheers!

OP
OP
K

kingPumpkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had them for a 10 days now. I have seen them go for the frozen food but not sift sand. One of them died last night, either from another fish picking on him or starvation :( He was bullied so I don't know if that is why he didn't eat/sift sand. I will add some copepods for safe keeping as I would feel really bad if the other one died. That is good to know! Thank you!

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tiger gobies are very beutiful but timid, they come out of their borrows just for a little time every day. If you would like to have a goby to shift your sand, I recommend you diamond sport goby or a yellow watchman goby.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back