Tigger Pod Culture

DiloHunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been culturing tigger pods for my Psychedelic Mandarin. It's been about 2 weeks now, and my Mandarin looks healthy. My question here is about the pods. When in the bottle, the pods are a bright reddish orange. But within a day of putting them in my 2.5 gallon culture tank, they lose color. Is this normal? Does Reef Nutrition feed something funky to the pods? I've been feeding my pods Reef Nutrition Phyto Feast.

IMG_0977.PNG

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about it @Reef Nutrition any secrets!?

I use the Apex pods for culturing myself, I've dumped the tigger pods into tanks, but never cultured that variety.

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another member on here, @hollback sent me a PM regarding the tig pods I ordered from him today. Read this:

Bottles contain all sizes of the copepod life cycle, from microscopic babies through egg-carrying adults. You will see the additional orange dot behind them which are their egg sacks and will hatch in the next week. Some will drop egg sacks during shipping. There are many juveniles which can barely be seen with the naked eye and lots that require a microscope in a larval stage. The bottles also contain phytoplankton as a food source during transit so the water might be tinted a little green.

I had tig pods before that were not reddish/orange like I always see in pictures, I'm wondering if they had dropped the eggs sacks.

Not sure if this is what you are referring to, but I'm a copepod newbie. Don't know much about them, but I am going to try to culture them again soon.

OP
OP
DiloHunter

DiloHunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thank you for your feedback. At least now I'm pretty sure that my copepods are not malnutritioned. I use Tiggerpods mainly because they're easier to get my hands on. The good thing is that my Mandarin is healthy and my pods are breeding sufficiently.

hollback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their orange color comes from their diet. When being cultured, they are in a heavy concentration of nutrients. This level of nutrients isn't present in our reef systems so they lose their color.
But @DiloHunter was referring to them losing color when putting them into their culture tank, not their reef tank.

When I look at the brand new bottle of Tigger pods, they do look orange. But they're in totally clear water and I'm usually standing in front of the refrigerator they're stored in at the store, with crisp white light. I culture them too, and in the lighting near my culture, and in the color of the water tinted with phyto, the pods will never look as orange as they do in the conditions that make them look so orange in the bottle. In other words, I think it may be a difference in lighting / conditions that make them LOOK different.

If you're feeding Reef Nutrition phyto feast, then I imagine your Tiggers are just as nutritious as the ones you buy in the bottle. As I understand it, phyto feast is exactly what Reef Nutrition feeds too.

I'm curious about your pod culture setup. Can you tell me about it?

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also worth noting that only the fully grown adults will have much of an orange look, so if can take some time for that to come in on a new culture. So long as you are getting production from the culture it should keep maturing with time.

I'd also mention that tigriopus seem to do better with a bit of a mulm collected at the bottom of the vessel, so it will probably help to just keep renewing the same culture when harvested rather than starting a new one every time.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience lighting in the culture plays a part in this as well . The orange coloration act's as a sun block when they are in tide pools . So I took a culture and put them under some UV instead of just my standard culture light . And to my suprise the UV lighted culture did possess more orange coloration. Both cultures feed the same species of phyto just different coloration on final results. Doesn't mean one is less nutritional then the other . I believe Chad from reef nutrition has touched on this topic before as their Tigs are grown in green houses .

OP
OP
DiloHunter

DiloHunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But @DiloHunter was referring to them losing color when putting them into their culture tank, not their reef tank.

When I look at the brand new bottle of Tigger pods, they do look orange. But they're in totally clear water and I'm usually standing in front of the refrigerator they're stored in at the store, with crisp white light. I culture them too, and in the lighting near my culture, and in the color of the water tinted with phyto, the pods will never look as orange as they do in the conditions that make them look so orange in the bottle. In other words, I think it may be a difference in lighting / conditions that make them LOOK different.

If you're feeding Reef Nutrition phyto feast, then I imagine your Tiggers are just as nutritious as the ones you buy in the bottle. As I understand it, phyto feast is exactly what Reef Nutrition feeds too.

I'm curious about your pod culture setup. Can you tell me about it?
Thank you for this information. I've been busy this week so I haven't had that much time to respond.

My setup is a 2.5 gallon tank with an air stone and a light. I use a cheap brine shrimp net to put the pods in my tank. And I have a bunch of chaeto in the culture because I'm going try to turn that into a more easily accessible refugium. I'm going on vacation fairly soon so I'm trying to set it up ASAP.

Attachments

• IMG_0988.JPG
    IMG_0988.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0990.JPG
    IMG_0990.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 74

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this information. I've been busy this week so I haven't had that much time to respond.

My setup is a 2.5 gallon tank with an air stone and a light. I use a cheap brine shrimp net to put the pods in my tank. And I have a bunch of chaeto in the culture because I'm going try to turn that into a more easily accessible refugium. I'm going on vacation fairly soon so I'm trying to set it up ASAP.
Chaeto in the culture will not work . It needs certain elements your culture can't provide. I tried before lol it just starts to turn into mush

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So you've already begun harvesting? Do you try to catch all of the free swimming adults you can when you harvest? Or what is your method there? Thanks

OP
OP
DiloHunter

DiloHunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick Update: I have ordered pods from @hollback and am thinking about some sdaquarist instead of phytofeast but I'm not sure if it's necessary. for feeding the pods. Thank you for all the responses.

Last edited:

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick Update: I have ordered pods from @hollback and am thinking about some sdaquarist instead of phytofeast but I'm not sure if it's necessary. for feeding the pods. Thank you for all the responses.
Our Phyto-Feast will work fine for them. This product contains the same algal species that we feed to our cultures at our facility. The SDaquarist is more for bivalves like clams, etc.

Best,
Chad

OP
OP
DiloHunter

DiloHunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've lowered the rate of the bubbles going through the airstone. I had it going full blast before and so I bought a valve and fixed it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back