Discussion in 'Reef Nutrition' started by Reef Nutrition, Mar 27, 2017.

Tigger-Pods (Tigriopus californicus): addressing the cold water myth

top frustrations is the myth that Tigriopus californicus are a "cold water species". I hear this from store owners and hobbyists ALL the time....
  1. Reef Nutrition

Reef Nutrition Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

What store did you buy from? I'd like to thank them.

-Chad

2. ChronicRage

ChronicRage Member

The store is called Barrier Reef Aquariums. Located in Renton, WA. I'm pretty sure they have all your different feeds and stuff there. It is my "go-to" store even though it's quite a drive for me. I don't like any of the local ones.

-Adam

Reef Nutrition likes this.
  3. Reef Nutrition

I just contacted them. Thanks for letting me know.

-Chad

ChronicRage likes this.
  4. Mark Gray

Mark Gray Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Good Info will maybe start soon

5. JDP

JDP Active Member

Thank you chad, Love your product!

Do you recommend supplementing with other species?

paul01 and Reef Nutrition like this.
  6. Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Oh this is fantastic news, this means an outdoor culture in central florida is a realistic idea!

7. Ponraj A

Ponraj A Active Member

Hi @Reef Nutrition ,

Its a long story short, I have got the SD aquarist from Aqua world India and the other products I got from my friend who imported from Singapore. I would be happy if you are having a dealer in India. I received the package just now and all is fine. Tigger pods are still live and I refrigerated them with the cap open.

8. Reef Nutrition

Absolutely! I know of individuals that have them growing in wooden barrels in the summer time in Michigan. Anything's possible if you have all the facts! If you do this, let us know how it goes.

-Chad

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    Rick.45cal likes this.
  9. Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

If I wanted to be a successful tigger pod farmer @Reef Nutrition what do you suggest for recommended reading, supplies/ food etc.

10. Harris4g63

Harris4g63 Member

I've added 3 of these bottles to my tank over the last month and I can't even spot one of these guys I have a fairly large mass of chaetomorpha in the sump and I dose phytoplankton daily so I'm not sure what I can do to get that population explosion like in the video I even drip acclimated them and added them at night.

11. Reef Nutrition

I am not surprised to hear this. Since every tank is different, containing different zooplankton populations and different habitat types, there is no guarantee that these guys will populate to the point of a "copepod bloom". They are probably there, somewhere in the substrate or on the Cheato. They tend to lose their color, so it makes them very hard to locate. With a flashlight, try looking into your sump and tank substrate after the lights go out.

Keep in mind that zooplankton, such as amphipods, tend to out-compete these guys and they also eat them. This has been observed in the supralittoral zone that the Tigriopus occupy. Because of competition and predation from fish and other crustaceans, most people find that they need to supplement the population from time to time.

I wish it were easier, but every tank is different which makes it hard to have a "one size fits all" protocol for copepods in a reef tank.

-Chad

12. Reef Nutrition

I basically learned by trial and error. Not much information out there on culture of these guys. I recommend feeding them an algal blend and don't worry about temperature regulation. They also tend to do better when the culture gets dirty, so no need to keep it pristine. No aeration is required. Exposing them to UV from the sun will result in a more red copepod. They tend to store the carotenoids that they get from phytoplankton when exposed to UV. I mention UV because you suggested that you might grow them outdoors. You might get enough bacteria and natural phytoplankton growth in an outdoor system to sustain a decent population.

-Chad

Rick.45cal likes this.
  13. Harris4g63

Harris4g63 Member

This makes sense because I do have a massive amount of amphipods in the tank and they are literally everywhere sump and display so maybe they are the reason why I can't find them lol. I was trying to a population of copepods just to get a mandarin that was the reason for setting up this tank, not sure what to do now cause there is no way I can get all those amphipods out to replace them with copepods unless mandarin's eat amphipods

14. Reef Nutrition

I hear ya! If you are seeing the mandarin pecking at the rocks throughout the day, then it is likely getting food. How many gallons is your tank? Mandarins will most definitely eat amphipods and other crustaceans. Copepods aren't the only thing they will eat.

-Chad

15. Harris4g63

Harris4g63 Member

Thanks Chad, that is good news the tank is 55 gallons with a 20 gallon sump with 70lbs of live rock in the display.

16. furam28

furam28 Active Member

Thanks for busting the cold water myth! I have successfully cultured tigger pods in small plastic containers. The population increase is actually faster when I kept the culture at 75 degrees. Unfortunately, I have added them into my display and refugium multiple times, but I never see them again after few weeks. In contrast, I put tisbe pods only once in my tank 2 years ago, and they thrive in my tank and I can always see them on the glass. The reason I think is that tigger pods need concentrated amounts of phyto to thrive. That is not attainable in a reef tank. In contrast, tisbe pods are detritovores and do quite well in a reef tank eating off detritus and algae from the sandbed and rocks.

17. Rick.45cal

Could I raise them on Roti Green Omega? Or one of your other Instant Algae products? How far will a liter of that stuff go? (I noticed I can freeze it)

18. Dr Blue Thumb

Dr Blue Thumb Active Member

Looking to culture them myself thanks for info

19. Reef Nutrition

Tigriopus californicus are detritivores/algavores as well: I know people that have cultured them on rotting flake food. Most Harpactacoids consume algae, bacteria and degrading organics. Some are also cannibalistic. The interesting thing about Tigriopus is that they lose their red coloration after some time in a reef tank. They also tend to be much smaller in a reef tank. I wish I could come see your tank, take a sample of your copepod population and look at them under a microscope; it's quite possible that you have both species in the tank, not just Tisbe. Both species are in the same Harpactacoida Order of copepods. I'm not saying you are wrong about having Tisbe copepods populating your tank, I'm just saying it's very hard to tell the difference with the naked eye, and it's possible you have both species.

Chad

Dr Blue Thumb likes this.
  20. Reef Nutrition

I personally only know of people culturing them with our Phyto-Feast, Oyster-Feast, SDaquarist and RGcomplete. They would probably do just fine on our Rotigreen Omega.

Chad

Rick.45cal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted