Tigger Pods

Discussion in 'Reef Nutrition' started by clsanchez77, Aug 31, 2017.

1. clsanchez77

clsanchez77 Active Member Louisiana Reef Club

Reef Nutrition -

How often do you recommend replenishing Tigger Pods? I have a 90 mixed reef, mostly gorgonia and LPS and many NPS inverts. The fuge is a 6-gallon chaeto chamber lit 24/7. The tank is well populated with gammarus pods (Inland Aquatics).

Reef Nutrition likes this.
    Tags:

2. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Active Member

Head of the Chesapeake, North East, Maryland
    FWIW, 24/7 lighting actually hampers your macroalgae's ability to absorb nutrients and provide nutrition. Reverse daylight is the most popular choice as it also helps keep pH stable. As for the pods, if you have anything that requires Tiggers, then replenish whenever necessary.

Reef Nutrition and Big G like this.
  3. clsanchez77

clsanchez77 Active Member Louisiana Reef Club

I switched from reverse photo period to 24/7 just a few months ago and I now have reduced algae growth in the DT and way more growth in the refugium. If there is any hampering growth, then I'm not seeing it in the results with this tank. I plan to cull the chaeto next month and then experiment with an 18 on 6 off reverse schedule to see how it compares to the 24/7. pH swings in my tank just aren't a concern; I typically run 8.0 to 8.2. I try to maintain about a 10% to 15% macro algae cover in my DT. I don't grow SPS and I'm not looking for fast growth on anything. But thanks.

I don't have anything that "requires" Tiggers, but I like to keep a diversity of live pods. I placed a bottle in the fuge about 2 months ago. As I try to sample the water in different areas, I just cannot find any today. I suspect the gammarus pods ate them. I guess a fuge for one pod is a slaughter house for another.

4. TheZachariah

TheZachariah Member Louisiana Reef Club

Haha Mr. Bill, with logic like that you might just have the answers to All reef questions :p

Reef Nutrition and Ponraj A like this.
  5. Reef Nutrition

Reef Nutrition Active Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Hey there @clsanchez77! Thanks for posting your question here. Sounds like if you have a healthy population of amphipods in the 6 gallon refugium, the Tigger-Pods most likely are getting picked-off. The copepods will have a much better chance taking off in the display since you don't have any fish predators present; but the amphipods will still be present. A 90 gallon tank provides a lot of habitat, so the copepods will have a better chance populating while getting picked-off here and there by amphipods. I have a 30 gallon tank with amphipods, copepods and isopods living in it. I see the populations ebb and flow.

Some people will add copepods once a month or once a week. Depends on the "need" for copepods.

Chad

clsanchez77 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted