Tight shelf! How can I waterproof this shelf to protect my walls?

SharkRacer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a shelf in my office that just BARELY fits a 48.25 width tank. I have a 55 in place right now, and am looking for ideas to waterproof the walls when the inevitable spills happen.

I thought maybe I could buy some think black plastic sheeting/paneling and silicone the seams. This would waterproof things and also give me a nice back backdrop to my tank.

Will the back have the effect I want, or does the black material need to be IN the tank to eliminate potential glass/reflection interference?

You might also notice I have one outlet (hidden next to the tank on the left) that I plan on moving up about 2'.

Any other ideas on how I can make the most of this shelf?

Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 10.19.03 AM.png

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main concern would be evaporation causing condensation damage or mold buildup /salt creek behind the tank where you can't see it. If going this route, marine paint or epoxy, pond liner paint (expensive and probably overkill) or some kind of seal like Killz or a harder paint may work.
For what it's worth, it's a cool spot if you can make it work.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I'd attempt to waterproof the walls (and bottom of the shelf above it.
I'm thinking the are behind the tank won't be an issue for mold, however, if it is, I can see two possible easy fixes. You could pull the tank away from the wall a few inches and tuck a cheap fan back there to keep the air moving. You'll still find plenty of salt back there, but at least everything should dry quickly enough that mold/rot won't be a problem. This would also give you the added benefit of having a place to hide wires/water lines.
The second idea would be to get some type of putty that you could line the gap between the tank and the wall (so, across top back/sides and down the front sides) effectively preventing water from getting back there in the first place.

Also, I know you didn't ask but if I was putting it there, instead of moving the outlet up to the next shelf, I'd move it down below the counter and run all the cords/lines through a hole in the counter or wall to that area. I think it'd be a lot cleaner looking than all the cords going *up* and having a rat's nest on full display.

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try my best to persuate you to not put the tank in that shelf-
1, as you have pointed out, any water splash or salt creep will damage the wall. I always set up my tank at least 8”-12” away from the wall for this reason and the next.
2. The space is snug. At some point you will have a shrimp or fish jump. How are you going to rescue it if they fall behind the tank?
3. The snug space also means any splash and salt creep will damage the shelf
4. The cabinet/shelf probably wasnt built with fish tanks in mind. Just make sure you examin the structure and add additional support for the weight if necessary.

I know you already have the tank sitting there. To be honest for that soace I personally would probably get a tanks that’s 3’ wide to allow spaces on each side for maintenance access and to separate splash. And for easier maintenance. The one thing you always want to consider when setting up a tank is how difficult will it be for future maintenance- water change, algae scrubbing, cleaning, catching fish (with limited head room you will be battling against the shelf when moving the net around), etc.

OP
OP
SharkRacer

SharkRacer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try my best to persuate you to not put the tank in that shelf-
1, as you have pointed out, any water splash or salt creep will damage the wall. I always set up my tank at least 8”-12” away from the wall for this reason and the next.
2. The space is snug. At some point you will have a shrimp or fish jump. How are you going to rescue it if they fall behind the tank?
3. The snug space also means any splash and salt creep will damage the shelf
4. The cabinet/shelf probably wasnt built with fish tanks in mind. Just make sure you examin the structure and add additional support for the weight if necessary.

I know you already have the tank sitting there. To be honest for that soace I personally would probably get a tanks that’s 3’ wide to allow spaces on each side for maintenance access and to separate splash. And for easier maintenance. The one thing you always want to consider when setting up a tank is how difficult will it be for future maintenance- water change, algae scrubbing, cleaning, catching fish (with limited head room you will be battling against the shelf when moving the net around), etc.
Solid points here!
Now I’m thinking of pulling the tank forward so I have some room in the back. Well I won’t be able to reach the sides at least I’ll be able to get behind the tank, put a fan back there if it gets wet, and even hang some equipment off the back if I want.

Thanks for all the tips, I’m definitely going to check the integrity of the shelf in regards to weight-bearing before moving forward!

Attachments

• 1DF707BA-3F23-4485-9038-5D8CF097ACC7.jpeg
    1DF707BA-3F23-4485-9038-5D8CF097ACC7.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 19

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 67 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back