TikiBird's first SW tank (BioCube 29)

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh interesting! I got my old-style one last year at a Black Friday sale at my favorite LFS. It's taken me this long to get the nerve to find a place for it and set it up! [emoji23]
You have LED slots though, you can add them, I did ;)

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh interesting! I got my old-style one last year at a Black Friday sale at my favorite LFS. It's taken me this long to get the nerve to find a place for it and set it up! [emoji23]
That's along time to wait! Lol. Biocubes are great little tanks. Especially with the wet dry in the back. Are you running the bio balls? I run live rock in mine, that way there's not a nitrate explosion waiting to happen (not saying that it will happen) it even got to a point where I didn't run anything in the back except for chaeto.

EDIT: that was my 14 gallon biocube. My 29 I'm running now has nothing in the back whatsoever.

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's along time to wait! Lol. Biocubes are great little tanks. Especially with the wet dry in the back. Are you running the bio balls? I run live rock in mine, that way there's not a nitrate explosion waiting to happen (not saying that it will happen) it even got to a point where I didn't run anything in the back except for chaeto.

EDIT: that was my 14 gallon biocube. My 29 I'm running now has nothing in the back whatsoever.

That's really good to know. I was feeling a little insecure about my compartments. Lol I took out all the bio balls (man there were a LOT in there!). Right now I have a heater in the back and some carbon (in an attempt to make the stinky dead rocks not stink so much, although I'm not sure it's doing anything!). I'm planning on getting a media rack for compartment 2 and using filter floss, Purigen, and chemipure...I think. [emoji848]

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really good to know. I was feeling a little insecure about my compartments. Lol I took out all the bio balls (man there were a LOT in there!). Right now I have a heater in the back and some carbon (in an attempt to make the stinky dead rocks not stink so much, although I'm not sure it's doing anything!). I'm planning on getting a media rack for compartment 2 and using filter floss, Purigen, and chemipure...I think. [emoji848]
Sweet! Glad you took them out. I have the media racks for it, I don't use them. Sounds like you have a good plan. But don't add that stuff until your tank is cycled (i know you know that) I also wouldn't put the filter in either while it's cycling. Helps for the beneficial bacteria to spread (I'm also sure you know that) lol, I enjoy helping! Haha

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @cameronh! I need all the help I can get!

When you say not to put the filter in...what exactly does that mean?
The filter cartridge that it comes with. I would leave it open so that the bacteria gets around everywhere and then I'd throw the filter in (that's just how I do it anyway).

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so excited right now. I just tested the tank and I have 4.0 ammonia and 1.0 nitrite!! And really probably 0 nitrate but I swear there is a slight orangey tinge....

I'm so thrilled *something* is happening in there, and extra thrilled because in my years of testing my freshwater tanks, I have NEVER seen nitrite show up on my tests! I must always miss the spike somehow. So when I came back in the room when my timer went off and I saw the purple in the tube, I literally gasped. [emoji851][emoji851][emoji851]

a079809452f6d6d1ada34b7357674bc0.jpg

I added BioSpira tonight because I figured it couldn't hurt and it was worth a shot. \_(ツ)_/¯

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so excited right now. I just tested the tank and I have 4.0 ammonia and 1.0 nitrite!! And really probably 0 nitrate but I swear there is a slight orangey tinge....

I'm so thrilled *something* is happening in there, and extra thrilled because in my years of testing my freshwater tanks, I have NEVER seen nitrite show up on my tests! I must always miss the spike somehow. So when I came back in the room when my timer went off and I saw the purple in the tube, I literally gasped. [emoji851][emoji851][emoji851]

a079809452f6d6d1ada34b7357674bc0.jpg

I added BioSpira tonight because I figured it couldn't hurt and it was worth a shot. \_(ツ)_/¯
Awesome! Exciting to see that it's already cycling.

By the way.....how in the world did you make that little figure at the bottom?? The best I can do is this o_O

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Exciting to see that it's already cycling.

By the way.....how in the world did you make that little figure at the bottom?? The best I can do is this o_O

LOL! OK, I'll tell you my secret. I go to this site (http://www.copyshrug.com) and copy and paste it instead of trying to type it out myself! [emoji23]

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if I should ask questions within this thread or separately, but I'll try here...

So in order to keep the cycle going, I need to have an ammonia source, right? Right now it's coming from dead and decaying stuff that came in on my "live" rocks, I assume.

I also have ammonia (Dr. Tim's) that I can dose to keep it going.

Since the ammonia is so high right now, do I need to dose the ammonia myself, or should I wait to dose when it drops? I haven't added any ammonia myself since it seems pretty high already.

Not sure if I'm making sense, but hopefully someone knows what I mean. LOL

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if I should ask questions within this thread or separately, but I'll try here...

So in order to keep the cycle going, I need to have an ammonia source, right? Right now it's coming from dead and decaying stuff that came in on my "live" rocks, I assume.

I also have ammonia (Dr. Tim's) that I can dose to keep it going.

Since the ammonia is so high right now, do I need to dose the ammonia myself, or should I wait to dose when it drops? I haven't added any ammonia myself since it seems pretty high already.

Not sure if I'm making sense, but hopefully someone knows what I mean. LOL
Well if the ammonia is already high, no need to dose. When all the levels start to drop off and show 0, then your tank is cycled. No need to add more ammonia. #reefsquad,

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if the ammonia is already high, no need to dose. When all the levels start to drop off and show 0, then your tank is cycled. No need to add more ammonia. #reefsquad,

Thank you, @cameronh!

Another question now.... [emoji16]

After it's cycled, should I wait for the diatoms, Cyanobacteria, and algae to go away before adding any fish?

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, @cameronh!

Another question now.... [emoji16]

After it's cycled, should I wait for the diatoms, Cyanobacteria, and algae to go away before adding any fish?
Well hopefully you won't get cyano, as far as diatoms, you should start getting those soon if the tank is already cycling. Once your levels drop, add a clean up crew (commonly referred to as CUC) to start cleaning up the brown algae. Then slowly but surely, you can add your corals/fish.

@Humblefish has a great write up on quarantining fish which can be found in the fish diseases section of the forum or. Which is highly recommended to prevent any diseases being introduced to your tank.
https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/189815/

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well hopefully you won't get cyano, as far as diatoms, you should start getting those soon if the tank is already cycling. Once your levels drop, add a clean up crew (commonly referred to as CUC) to start cleaning up the brown algae. Then slowly but surely, you can add your corals/fish.

@Humblefish has a great write up on quarantining fish which can be found in the fish diseases section of the forum. Which is highly recommended to prevent any diseases being introduced to your tank.

I will check it out! Thank you!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back