TikiBird's first SW tank (BioCube 29)

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, I went through a huge algae bloom ... I would proceed with caution ... not sure you went through a full cycle only been 8 days since you got the tank wet, this is just my opinion though! :rolleyes:
You might want to get a couple Nassarius Snails since you will now be feeding fish and will have some waste.
Clowns going into DT or a QT?

upload_2016-9-24_21-18-36.png

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, I went through a huge algae bloom ... I would proceed with caution ... not sure you went through a full cycle only been 8 days since you got the tank wet, this is just my opinion though! :rolleyes:
You might want to get a couple Nassarius Snails since you will now be feeding fish and will have some waste.
Clowns going into DT or a QT?

upload_2016-9-24_21-18-36.png

It was ridiculously fast...I was expecting weeks and it went through the ammonia and nitrite spikes in days! I guess between the live rock, live sand, and BioSpira there were some mighty efficient bacteria? Lol

The clowns are going right into the DT. I figured since there aren't other critters in there it would be OK....

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was ridiculously fast...I was expecting weeks and it went through the ammonia and nitrite spikes in days! I guess between the live rock, live sand, and BioSpira there were some mighty efficient bacteria? Lol

The clowns are going right into the DT. I figured since there aren't other critters in there it would be OK....
Ohhhh I missed the post about the 'BioSpira' :rolleyes:
I never used that unsure of how that works! :confused:

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a much needed tank though[emoji12] it doesn't have to be set up at all times. Only when you need it.

Back to the QT idea.... For future coral inhabitants, would I be able to use a 2.5 gallon tank as a QT, or is that way too small? The article says most people use 10 gallons at a minimum, but I have a 2.5 gallon tank and stand that isn't going to be used for anything (soon moving the betta in there now to a bigger tank)....just wondering if that would be ok to use for corals?

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to the QT idea.... For future coral inhabitants, would I be able to use a 2.5 gallon tank as a QT, or is that way too small? The article says most people use 10 gallons at a minimum, but I have a 2.5 gallon tank and stand that isn't going to be used for anything (soon moving the betta in there now to a bigger tank)....just wondering if that would be ok to use for corals?
The 2.5 would be too small, I would go with a ten at minimum. I use a 20. The 2.5 would be fine for corals though!

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clean-up crew! Today I came home with one skunk cleaner shrimp and two nassarius snails. Wanted a trocchus snail too but the LFS didn't have any today.

The nassarius snails are pretty entertaining! When I fed the clownfish, they popped out of the sand and cruised around. Adorable.

9e6268323962a692984235f835371637.jpg

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see your tank coming together! My half black angel died tonight.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back