OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermit crabs and snails can help with your sand bed. Also some gobys will keep your sand bed over turn and clean.

Thanks @Antman78!! Any certain types of snails you like for this? I have a pair of nassarius snails and a trocchus, but the trocchus doesn't do much that I can tell! Lol (I still like him anyway though bc he's cute.)

Antman78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Cerith Snail and the Super Tongan Nassarius Snail are great for your sand bed. They will dig though it and clean it. Hermits will keep the top clean also. I was told by my lfs that I will need at least 30 hermits in my 29 Biocube. Everything I read said that it is good to have a hefty clean up crew.

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Cerith Snail and the Super Tongan Nassarius Snail are great for your sand bed. They will dig though it and clean it. Hermits will keep the top clean also. I was told by my lfs that I will need at least 30 hermits in my 29 Biocube. Everything I read said that it is good to have a hefty clean up crew.

Wow!! I would never have thought I could have so many!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FTS....
IMG_7014.JPG

If anyone has ideas on how I can get my sand clean, I'm all ears!
@TikiBird I dunno, but at only about four months old your tank looks great and is miles ahead of others the same age. No diatoms no thick slime coat everywhere. IMO the Live rock with the algaes actually did you a pretty big favor. They and all the other micro flora and fauna(our invisible pets), processed extra the nutrints and minerals that fuel the standard ugly phase and afforded Immediate competition so no one organism could overrun the tank. Ie diatom bloom, cyano, etc. And personally Id like some of that red turf stuff for my tank.

Yea you need some gardeners in there. The last batch of snails I got for my 30, were 2 1in turbos 2 asteria, 6 cerith(crab snacks), 4 trochus , 2 turbans , and I have one tiny cute fighting conch. I also have a lot of stomatella plus small bristle worms and a good collection of pods. cope iso and amphi.
I dont prefer crabs, they eat my snails and need more food than snails so I only have 2 in the 30 and Im about to move one out . In my 55 i have maybe 3.
Heres Renee's article. If you have a lot of meaty food you might want a Nassarius snail or three.
I have the best luck with using a tooth brush to scrub the spots and usually it doesnt grow back. Personally Im dealing with bryopsis, but as of late this has been working for that too.

SO yea Tiki, no more ugly tank jokes, a couple months ago my 30 looked like a Chia Pet!

Hey your not happy about the zoas?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much, @saltyfilmfolks!! You are so kind.

And that is GREAT info!! What an interesting theory that all the algae on the live rock was actually a GOOD thing! Who would have thought??

Thanks for the snail recommendations. I clearly need to go shopping. [emoji16]

I have to say the tank looks better than it did before my urchin and blenny arrived! They have been chowing down. They also like the nori I put in.

I was having a brief meltdown about the zoa's toxicity, but I'm going to leave them in. I like them, I am just afraid they're going to, you know, kill me. [emoji15] But I'm going to be more cautious with them in the tank and I think I'll be OK.

Link to Renee's article?

No more jokes. [emoji23] There are SO many spotless, gorgeous tanks on here it is a bit intimidating!! I had tank envy. Lol You made me feel a lot better.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who would have thought??
Not many nowadays remember this stuff. Its the old school way of setting up the best easiest simple system. I read about it in a 30 year old booko_O
I clearly need to go shopping
How tragic, ;). Is it pouring up there today? The San Diegans believe this is the apocalypse
There are SO many spotless, gorgeous tanks on here it is a bit intimidating!!
yea, that aint that real. Even I clean up good for a picture, when my wife makes me. And some of those folks have been practising and learning for years.

I put the link in late, it's a sticky, under the invert discussion forum.

So what coral is next for you? Are you dosing cal and alk yet or would you prefer to avoid it for now and just do WC's?
Avoid the green palys. btw.

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not many nowadays remember this stuff. Its the old school way of setting up the best easiest simple system. I read about it in a 30 year old booko_O

How tragic, ;). Is it pouring up there today? The San Diegans believe this is the apocalypse

yea, that aint that real. Even I clean up good for a picture, when my wife makes me. And some of those folks have been practising and learning for years.

I put the link in late, it's a sticky, under the invert discussion forum.

So what coral is next for you? Are you dosing cal and alk yet or would you prefer to avoid it for now and just do WC's?
Avoid the green palys. btw.

I guess I'm just naturally old school! Hahaha

LOL @ the cleaning up good for a picture! Don't we all! Lol Then you accidentally flip your phone camera around and take an unflattering selfie and it's ruined. [emoji33]

Just read the sticky, and it's fabulous. Psyched to go snail shopping! [emoji222] [emoji222] [emoji222]

I'm not sure which coral to go for next...any ideas? I need something "easy." I'm actually going to my first swap in a couple weeks (they said I don't actually have to have anything to swap, I can just buy!). Tips?

I haven't dosed cal or alk yet. Should I? I do a 10-20 % water change every week or every other week....

It was CRAZY windy and rainy here yesterday. We were SO lucky not to lose power at my house. I had the battery-powered bubblers ready to go for my tanks just in case, but that is obviously not ideal and I was so relieved when the power stayed on all night. I thought it was the apocalypse yesterday too!! Lol Today it is sunny. Good day to go out to the fish store. [emoji16]

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't dosed cal or alk yet. Should I? I do a 10-20 % water change every week or every other week..
It would be choosing less stony corals. Montipora will sink your calcium if your not dosing, so even though there easy theres a price. If your doing weekly or every other week you'll want to stay with softer corals rather than stoney ones. So you could combine WC and manual two part dosing and be just fine. I did that for a long time.

ANd coral picking? really, what do you like and what would fill out the tank well.
An easy photosynthetic gorgonian would probably be nice, it does have a skeleton, I have a Pink and golden those are easy. A devils hand or a toad stool, both leathers. A bubble coral maybe for the lower right side?
Clove polyps are nice but the can over grow stuff like xenia do, same with gsp, but if you place them right its ok.
I love love blastomussa merletti, even though its a stony its a fairly slow grower and looks like a Rose bush. I had great luck in a pico tank with them for several years.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LMK if you're in the Bay Area! Maybe I can take a field trip to some shops there. [emoji16]
I do hate having so many friends here I cant go shopping with.
When the weather warms up Ill send up some gorgs. I have to trim them, the last trimming is still in the sump:rolleyes: SD is coral spoiled.

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do hate having so many friends here I cant go shopping with.
When the weather warms up Ill send up some gorgs. I have to trim them, the last trimming is still in the sump:rolleyes: SD is coral spoiled.

Oh!! That is so nice of you!! Thank you so much. [emoji1] I'll try my best to give them a good home!! [emoji847]

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @saltyfilmfolks, were you serious about wanting the red turf stuff?? I'll be happy to give you some, if you tell me how to do it! Lol
lol. thanks, its probably harder to to than it worth. I actually bought some that looked similar. I kept moving it, the crabs ate it, it faded out and just finally all died in the display.:(
On year or more later, its growing quite well on the overflows of my sump:)

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @cromag08, I finally busted out the screwdriver and put the new LEDs in! [emoji23] They look so cool! The water looks shimmery now. [emoji305][emoji305][emoji305]

Here's a pic even though you can't see the shimmer in a photo. LOL
IMG_7066.JPG

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back