Time for serious storm prep for reef tanks along the northeast coast

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some possibilities, which are a bit different than summer time hurricane plans..

Triple check back up power and water circulation plans
Wood for fires if you have a fireplace
Maybe set the house temp higher than normal tonight
Maybe set tank temp a bit higher than normal
Make sure if you have an outside air line to skimmer it won't get clogged with snow
Reduce feeding if power and tank flow stop

I'm sure there are other things folks can add...

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Handwarmers in a sealed container can create some heat in the water in a pinch. I usually just float the container so no chance of contamination.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts are with Florida....gonna get cold down there.

But any prep is good. My Boston buddy was showing me his snow blower the other day and said "bring it on!" I told him he had to come up to Vermont and clean my dooryard next.

Luckily most of the snow will miss my neck of the woods.

-XENOMORPH-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was like 10 bux. Car inverter. I already have a generator. But extra option for 10 dollars. Just in case.

Attachments

• 20220130_113811.jpg
    20220130_113811.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 9

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to pick up two Honda generator 2200 before the storm ( one for the tank - one for the house )

snow / storm came and went. Didn't need the generator ( bummed out )

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost power during a North Easter back in the 90s. Saw transformers blowing as my bus approached my drop off point. Once power did go out I placed all the fish into 5 gallon buckets with tank water and off to my parents house which was not having issues. Tank temps had dropped to 55 degrees before I was able to get them out. Ran an air pump with air-stone for about three days with no feeding. Luckily this was damsels and maroon clowns plus a snowflake eel. Rather hardy specimens and considering my work hours the most practical approach. Only lost one domino. Surprised they were not only able to withstand the drop but fact they then had to change temps back to mid 70s at my parents. Tank drop I'm sure happened much slower than bucket rise and goes to show perhaps when transitioning from warm to cold slow is better. Also amazed most surved cramped in a bucket. Don't recall if it was one or two but had six damsels, two maroons and that eel. Damsels were medium to large. Same with maroons and eel probably a foot. Not exactly a small bio-load for buckets.

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been there, have an extension cord ran from garage to equipment. if power goes out i unplug main power bar and plug to emergency cord and start generator. It is the first thing that gets power...

Back