Time of Day to Feed Corals

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to feed my corals and I noticed that some seem to be open (have their tentacles out) at night and some during the day. Does it matter what time of day I feed them? Should I feed night active corals at "night" and day active corals when the light is on?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to feed my corals and I noticed that some seem to be open (have their tentacles out) at night and some during the day. Does it matter what time of day I feed them? Should I feed night active corals at "night" and day active corals when the light is on?
I try to feed mine right before lights out. The night corals start opening up, and the day corals are just starting to close up. I only do this once every week to once every two weeks.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed just when the light come on and 1 hour before the light go off.

305Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my LPS tank in the daytime on purpose so they are hungry and display best during day time hours. Some corals like Acans, Favias, Favites, Goniastea, Caulastrea I will feed once during the day and then again that same night when they have their longer feeding tentacles out. I'm not sure if this works the way it works in my head, but the results in my tank are tremendous. I feed the fish and the corals go into feed mode, also dose kw coral vitalizer or some other polyp extension product, then I add amino acids to the tank before target feeding usually either reef chili or reef roids to all my LPS. Once they eat it up they stay super puffed up and look huge all day long. When I go on a long vacation and dont get to do this routine, they do fine and continue to grow, but they certainly dont look all puffy chested and pretty.

Almost all corals that eat at night will eat in the day with the proper presentation and acclimation, in my experience. Sun corals, chalices, dendros, favias, etc..

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine at about the same time.
Lazy I guess. It’s when I feed the fish. About 7pm. A little while later everyone else has opened up for the night and there’s food in the water. So..

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back