!! TIME SENSITIVE !! Ich - what are the chances for DT infected?

servus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a fish two days ago, directly to DT. Any livestock I purchased so far went to DT, no issues. The fish had no signs of ich - meaning no spots, purchased from trusted Petco, I saw some signs of ich in their tanks lately.
36 hours after, no signs of ich. 48 hours after, fish having about 30 white spots.

I removed the fish, will put together a QT, the fish will go in QT with copper treatment.

Questions:
- what are the chances of the other fish in the DT being infected?
- should I move all fish to QT?
(that would pose problems, as QT is not set up)
- any other recommendations?

Livestock: 2 clowns, 5 chromis, 5 cardinals, 1 wrasse, all in the young stages. Infected fish: scopas tang.

biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a fish two days ago, directly to DT. Any livestock I purchased so far went to DT, no issues. The fish had no signs of ich - meaning no spots, purchased from trusted Petco, I saw some signs of ich in their tanks lately.
36 hours after, no signs of ich. 48 hours after, fish having about 30 white spots.

I removed the fish, will put together a QT, the fish will go in QT with copper treatment.

Questions:
- what are the chances of the other fish in the DT being infected?
- should I move all fish to QT?
(that would pose problems, as QT is not set up)
- any other recommendations?

Livestock: 2 clowns, 5 chromis, 5 cardinals, 1 wrasse, all in the young stages. Infected fish: scopas tang.
Your whole tank is infected now with ich. Take all the fish out and QT and leave the tank fallow for 76 days.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High chances of ICH in DT. Gotta leave it fallow for 76 days I think, should be QT every fish if possible. Otherwise your taking very high risks that are unnecessary.

OP
OP
S

servus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the replies. I will work towards QT.

THIS Petco had a very good employee until a month ago, all my fish are from there, I have not seen ich in their tanks until a couple weeks ago - I visit the store twice a week.

Trust me, I agree with the statement above related to Petco (no offense taken) - this store was an exception until now. I visited about 10 Petco locations, none compared to this one in regards to fishkeeping.

OP
OP
S

servus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will put pictures in a couple of hours, after I set up my DT - need to go buy a tank.

Regarding velvet, now I am not sure anymore about ich!!!

OP
OP
S

servus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up the QT. Regarding photos, they would be irrelevant, I don't see any dots on the fish. The fish has been in a bucket with tank water and a heater since this morning.

Any thoughts?

btw: decided on the TTM rather than chemicals.

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if a high quality LFS has fish, if they don't QT, there is a great chance they have something.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will put pictures in a couple of hours, after I set up my DT - need to go buy a tank.

Regarding velvet, now I am not sure anymore about ich!!!

Velvet is a lot rarer than ich. If you can see discrete spots and the fish are not breathing heavily, it is ich, not velvet. your fish in the DT are infected, but whether they develop acute disease is dependent on their history. If they've never been challenged by ich before, they are likely to get sick. If on the other hand, they've been exposed to ich and survived (possibly before you go them) and if the "propagule pressure" (number of infective theronts) isn't too great - you might skate through.

Jay

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back