Time to celebrate!!! What were your reefing "wins" this year?

What were your reefing "wins" this year?

• I started a tank

Votes: 223 50.6%
  • I successfully added new corals/fish

Votes: 207 46.9%
  • My tank is thriving

Votes: 152 34.5%
  • I made it to reef shows

Votes: 45 10.2%
  • I made new reef friends

Votes: 76 17.2%
  • I made it through the year

Votes: 197 44.7%
  • Other

Votes: 24 5.4%

• Total voters

UltraKelius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raised my first lot of baby Clowns and got through meta with only 4 fry lost! By far the best reefing experience of my life :)

40AD8582-20B6-4EED-BA79-09C1C9A2D81A.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For myself was interesting. Moved most fish into my 135g and began breakdown planning for Florida. Had damage from hurricane and delayed that plan and was not going to live with everything in the 135g , so set up the 400g. I expected nightmares from damage and to plumbing and it actually went quickly and smoothly assuring it will endure the cross country move in the future.
My win was Acquistion this past week of a tank full of coral and all beautiful, some collector pieces

Last edited:

dlsorensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got back into the hobby after 16 years out of it, we've got more disposable income and it isn't DIY every step of the way
Same here after 22 years. It was nice to really be able to get what I need AND what I want

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In no particular order:
Remade my rockscape
Upgraded my test kits
Added several corals by trading equipment for them.
Finally got coralline algae growing (tank is almost 2 years old).
Got an awesome budget light. Corals are thriving now.
Started trading coral frags to my LFS for store credits.

20220506_102037 (1).jpg 20220130_130306.jpg 20211103_201810a.jpg
And I learned a ton of new things.

Goodersgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am now finally beginning to win the high Phosphate battle. My tank is looking great

Southswell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just about through 1 year of my first saltwater tank after being set up January 2nd of this year. Never really had an ugly phase and all corals and inverts I've added have done very well even though it took till November to finally get fish to last in the tank. Now it finally feels somewhat complete

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made it through a battle with green hair algae, which I didn't ever even consider quitting or breaking down the tank so that was nice! I used to get discouraged and give up and break down tanks when I was younger. After taking roughly a 7 year break, I can't even imagine getting out of the hobby again. Besides getting through the GHA battle, I haven't done much with my tank. I'm hoping this is the year of enhancements and improvements! Looking to upgrade my lighting, ato system, and add some new corals and get them thriving, and I will be happy with that for the year!

In a perfect world, I'll start my next large build of 125-300 gallons, but I'm in no rush and want to get my current tank to 100% before doing anything new.

Dicey1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son bought a used 90 G tank, hood, stand and almost all equipment except skimmer for $50. He brought it home and said “ here mom, you‘re always talking about the saltwater tank you used to have” So after being out of the hobby for 35 years, I set up a tank again. Wow, so different now days. I learned from a book on how to set up my very first tank. The wealth of information available now made it so much easier. Better equipment now too. Love the people on R2R for sharing all this info, pics, and their experience. So far the tank is thriving. Its been fun.

Bob E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it was getting a new system up and running. Get fish and Corals all going. I didn't get as much as I thought I would have by this time. I look at it as the slower the better. Four fish and a couple of corals at his time

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My big win was the upgrade from the 55g to the beautiful new 135!!

The new build has been more of a challenge than I expected and is still nowhere near the beauty that the 55 was, but it's a labor of love. I've lost quite a few corals in the last 5 months, also a couple fish. The new tank is rebounding well now, and I hope I am past the worst of the battle.

The 180g tank is thriving and all of the new fish I have introduced are fat and happy. The new year will have issues for that tank as well unfortunately. The stand I have is degrading. I will need to replace it soon. of course, that will mean a complete teardown and rebuild.

SoundsDigital

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a pair of maroon clownish that had been causing havoc at my lfs, had to be in a tank on their own. I picked them up at a bargain price as they just wanted rid of these A holes. I had a bit of fun nipping between them at first which got infected but after treating that, they recovered well. One now hosts in my anemone and they pretty much ignore each other. They're actually both quite calm now, six months later but always come up for food when I enter the room. I'm even considering getting a pair of tank mates to see if they tolerate them. If they get aggressive then the additions will be transferred to my other tank.
I'm guessing I would need something at least as big as the clownfish, any suggestions on what might've suitable? It's only a 25g tank at the moment but hoping to upgrade later in the year to at least 100g

amygetsalife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is one year old and it's doing well. A few small losses at first. Had two jumpers. But it's been going great for the last 6 months. Coraline growing fast, corals looking fabulous. Have a few aptasia, dang it. And the snails are multiplying like crazy. Had to move some to an Invert quarantine tank and now, instead of tossing excess macro algae from my tiny in tank refugium, it's going into the QT to feed the baby trochus snails. I need to rehome some of these guys!

Pretty sure I misunderstood the "I survived the year" question and applied it to myself, not the tank. 2023 has been a doozy for this small retail business owner.

pulpfiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made it through the year. None of my frags have really taken off. Some died. But I accomplished healthy thriving fish this year when I was failing at that a year before.

pap2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
transferred from my 30gal tank to a 40gal breeder with a sump. Still learning alot

Attachments

• 20221116_194307.jpg
    20221116_194307.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20221116_194339.jpg
    20221116_194339.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 16

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back